Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Eva and Bill

Eva and Bill

A Story by George Coombs
"

Remmbering my Aunt and Cousin on Dad'sside of the family

"

Eva and Bill

It was a cold day. The man glanced upward as he waited for the bus. A gray sky and high above the traffic and daily activity the Gulls swooped and soared filling the air with their piercing cries; he had always loved the Gulls.

The bus arrived and once on board it joined a steady stream of traffic flowing through the town. It was good to be visiting Eva again. All through the journey, people boarded and left the bus. It stopped at Sussex University then on to the county town of Lewes famed for, among other things, its tall ruined castle that offered a wonderful view of the Sussex downs from its battlements. Eva was his late father’s sister and he had always liked her; she was a good mother as well as being a woman of great integrity. Eva had been unwell for some considerable time.

The bus passed the prison with its tall, somber gray walls and moved through the town. Eva had cancer of the esophagus with spread to her breast. The Doctors had agreed that her frail state of general health militated against her undergoing an operation.

Once away from Lewes the bus moved toward Ringmer where Eva had lived for many years and both she and the man’s late father were natives of the area. One of Eva’s lifelong loves was dogs and she had taken in rescue dogs over the years. Once she knew her time of earthly pilgrimage was drawing to a conclusion she was much relieved to know her surviving dog, a lively Jack Russell was in a good home.

The man enjoyed the view of acre after acre of verdant Sussex countryside. Eva, Dad and their side of the people were country people and he knew they would wish to be lain to rest in the area that meant so much to them over the years. A short distance from Uckfield the bus stopped. The man got off and walked the slow distance to the Nursing Home where Eva was being looked after.

The air became gradually colder. The home was soon in sight; once in he signed the visitor’s book and went to Eva. The curtains were open and light lay gently over her tired eyes and sunken features; she was in a deep sleep. The man approached her quietly and with a sense of reverence. Touching her face he told Eva he was there; she stirred then returned to sleep.

All he could do was be there and yet; that was enough. Looking at her, hearing her breathing he was content to just be there. Every so often she made a barely audible attempt to speak yet, was silent much of the time. A photograph of the Jack Russell stood by her bed.

After speaking briefly to the nurses, he left. A few drops of rain touched his spectacles; he thought of Eva and knew it would not be long. The rain began trickling down.

As the bus continued its return journey, the sky darkened. Roads were busy, yet he was nearly oblivious of all this. The picture of Eva’s face as he left stayed close to him. Now, it was the time of waiting. Once back at his flat the man, a writer, carried out further work on his current book then retired for the night. Overall, it was a cold and inhospitable time of year. The man frequently enquired by telephone concerning Eva and kept in touch with his cousins who lived closer and visited frequently. Then, early one evening while working at his desk the phone rang. It was his cousin to say Eva had passed on. It was a great loss. This fine much loved woman had gone to the next life. Replacing the telephone, he sat quietly. The Gulls called outside and he thought of the sea in all its vastness and freedom and quietly smiled.

Gulls heralded the morning light. The man slowly opened his eyes and smiled; he loved hearing their welcome to each newly created day. Eve came into his mind. The grey, sunken features, the deep sleep while she waited for the thin curtain to descend on this life, now he would go to the funeral.

Slowly he washed and dressed. A much loved lady who had known sorrow, ill health and hardship was resting as the next life so quietly and gently received her to itself.

The man walked into town and was glad of the cool early summer air. Soon he had boarded the bus that would take him to his grieving relatives. They all met at the Church and, slowly followed the coffin in. Tears, much sadness as the coffin rested draped by light gently entering through the windows. After the service they walked to the graveyard.

Yet, there was a sense in which Eva was there. Just the thought of this fine woman and the ‘true grit’ she exemplified kept them going. There were tears and he recalled how Jesus wept when he heard his friend Lazarus had died. Those around saw how Jesus loved him.

At the graveside, he saw the vast green fields and distant hills she had loved so much. Always through her life, there was the strength to go on. Now it was over. Many of her beloved dogs had gone loved and happy to their rest because of Eva.

The time came; slowly they walked away.

Bill was a young man. The man’s cousin who passed to the next life aged just sixty-three years. For many years his life had been shadowed by ill health and finally this quiet and gentle man who loved nature returned to the creation from which he had come.

It was not long after Eva, his mother had died. Again, we assembled at the parish church. Walking slowly and thoughtfully we followed Bill in. Of course, there were tears. It was a cool day.

The minister so rightly remembered Bill as “..easy going and good to be with” and the minister was a good, genuine man. In grief, he was good to be with. Trees outside swayed in gentle rivers of wind and through the windows, there was light.

Then the short walk to the cemetery. Slowly and with great reverence Bill was lowered into the ground. Eva was very near him. When we were ready, we left.

A final look then a look away to those lovely fields and trees with hills in the distance. Through the clouds there was light. Bill and his dog would no longer be roaming the Sussex downs. Alive in each of us he now roamed in light beyond light and is at peace.

George Coombs (1.119 words)


© 2017 George Coombs


Author's Note

George Coombs
The painting is one of mine and entitled 'Loved Ones Are A Garland of Flowers'

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Exquisite painting- you are so talented George.This is a loving and moving tribute to Bill and Eva. Each one with strength and courage and compassion throughout life’s travails. Detailed and amazing imagery of the beautiful countryside that both of them loved. Great write!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Coombs

6 Years Ago

Thankyou annette, this is so encouraging



Reviews

Exquisite painting- you are so talented George.This is a loving and moving tribute to Bill and Eva. Each one with strength and courage and compassion throughout life’s travails. Detailed and amazing imagery of the beautiful countryside that both of them loved. Great write!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Coombs

6 Years Ago

Thankyou annette, this is so encouraging

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 10, 2017
Last Updated on October 10, 2017
Tags: Gorge, Coombs

Author

George Coombs
George Coombs

Brighton and Hove, Southern, United Kingdom



About
I am a retired lecturer from Hove in Southrn England. I write poetry, stories, essays and also draw and paint more..

Writing