Portrait of Change

Portrait of Change

A Story by George Coombs
"

A memory I'dlike to share

"

-1-

Portrait of Change

The pre-Socratic philosopher Heraclitus of Ephesus (c. 535 �" 477B.C.E.) is famous for his insistence on the presence of change in the universe. He encapsulated his philosophy in the now famous saying that “No man ever steps into the same river twice.”

Throughout my own life I have seen the truth that everything is subject to change and it is, of course a fact of existence. The entire process of living, learning and eventually passing into the next life is a process of real and ongoing change. Hospitals have changed in many ways and what follows are reminiscences of my experiences as what is now, I believe, called a 'Health Care assistant' but was then termed an Auxiliary Nurse.

My first day; in accordance with prior instructions I called in at the Matron's office to collect my uniform. At that time this consisted of a long white coat not unlike coats sometimes worn by Doctors. In those days Matron was in charge and that was that. At times she was assisted by two Deputy Matrons. During our initial meeting I was informed as to what was expected of me and Matron established herself to me as someone who was firm yet very reasonable and loyal to her staff. Once clothed in my uniform I went to my first ward where I met the Sister in charge and a Staff Nurse. In those days there were not the seemingly everlasting tiers of administration that have grown into the National Health Service in a manner similar to ivy clinging to a vine. Everyone from Matron downward had worked on wards themselves and were highly knowledgeable and experienced. As well as my uniform I

-2-

had a staff identity badge which read 'George Coombs Nursing Auxiliary F/T this last abbreviation meaning 'full time' and not 'feeling tired' as one of my colleges was to jokingly suggest.

It was a male medical ward and I worked on it for five years. The ward was staffed by the Sister and Staff Nurse, two trained nurses and a Ward Orderly with students nurses, at that time, coming and going as part of their training. Our small hospital coped well with several major incidents while I was there and the one that sticks in my mind now was the time when our local Town Hall was burned to the ground. The emergency services were superb and casualties were divided between us and two other hospitals in the area. The main problem was the effects of smoke inhalation and one of the casualties my ward took was Mr Burton the caretaker.

Matron, Sister and the other trained staff were good leaders. I played my part as best I could drawing great strength and support from my colleges. After two weeks we saw our casualties improve and they were discharged at times deemed appropriate by the medical staff. Mr. Burton was always quiet and withdrawn and would very often sit by himself in the corridor just outside the ward.

Apart from a few quiet, nervous exchanges he would not speak at all unless he had to. This was also noticed by others who tried to persuade him to talk and socialise in some way. I well remember sensing that this was mistaken. People should be allowed to maintain their own counsel if they wish. We help by being there for them, exercising what has been called by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, among others 'The ministry

-3-

of presence...”

Mr. Burton was discharged after three weeks. District Nurse cover was arranged. The Town Hall stood in stark ruins for many months until there came the time for the ruins to be demolished in readiness for the construction of a new Town Hall. Within the ruins a body was discovered. It was Mr. Burton' he had taken his own life. A note was found in which he accepted personal responsibility for the original fire that had destroyed the old Town Hall.

A devastating tragedy for all of us who had known him especially of course his close friends and relatives. The mental anguish he suffered must have been terrible. His tendency to keep his own counsel became all the more understandable. There will be, of course a lot that I do not know and indeed shoud not know. Was there anything I or anyone else could have done? Whatever the answer may be he is resting now, free at last.

George Coombs (744 words)

© 2017 George Coombs


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What a rewarding and yet physically and emotionally draining occupation it is to attend the sick and dying. I applaud your efforts to heal and give comfort to those in need; regardless if the efforts do not always render the desired outcome. I was the primary care giver for five years for my dying mother and it was the hardest job I've ever done. I only had one patient but I was on call 24/7.
It's very difficult to fight a losing war. But I suffered through the battle every day, one day at a time. The fellow you speak of here obviously suffered from a great deal of internal guilt and misery. May God grant his spirit peace. Peace and light.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Coombs

6 Years Ago

Yes, 'amen; to your prayer for Mr Burton Fabian. I have been a primary caregiver as well and cared f.. read more



Reviews

What a rewarding and yet physically and emotionally draining occupation it is to attend the sick and dying. I applaud your efforts to heal and give comfort to those in need; regardless if the efforts do not always render the desired outcome. I was the primary care giver for five years for my dying mother and it was the hardest job I've ever done. I only had one patient but I was on call 24/7.
It's very difficult to fight a losing war. But I suffered through the battle every day, one day at a time. The fellow you speak of here obviously suffered from a great deal of internal guilt and misery. May God grant his spirit peace. Peace and light.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Coombs

6 Years Ago

Yes, 'amen; to your prayer for Mr Burton Fabian. I have been a primary caregiver as well and cared f.. read more
This is a beautifully written and thought-provoking story. As a nurse myself, I can attest to the tableaus of drama and tragedy witnessed on a daily basis in hospitals as described here. This is a detailed and very personal account of such a human drama and tragedy. R.I.P. Mr. Burton. Excellent story George.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

George Coombs

6 Years Ago

Thank you so much Anette, this is really helpful and encouraging

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

211 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 24, 2017
Last Updated on October 24, 2017
Tags: george, coombs

Author

George Coombs
George Coombs

Brighton and Hove, Southern, United Kingdom



About
I am a retired lecturer from Hove in Southrn England. I write poetry, stories, essays and also draw and paint more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..