Consequences

Consequences

A Story by Georgina V Solly
"

Four people in search of peace and quiet and privacy.

"

 

CONSEQUENCES

 

When Anna had hung up the phone she turned to Conrad and said, “My mother’s ill, and she needs me to go and look after her till she gets better.”

Conrad wasn’t surprised. After their children had become independent, Anna’s mother was often on the phone saying she was too ill to look after herself, and could Anna go and stay with her till she was over whatever it was that she had. Conrad never said anything against this arrangement, as he felt that one day he and Anna might well be in the same situation. They were both in their fifties, and having married young and having children off their hands early had made life a lot easier. Anna stood in the open doorway of Conrad’s study and wondered, as she had on numerous occasions when her mother had demanded her presence, what he really felt, “If you don’t want me to go, you only have to say so,” Anna said to Conrad.

“Go, and try to make sure she gets really well this time, so that she doesn’t call you back too soon,” Conrad answered.

“Thanks. Conrad, you’re fantastic. You understand she’s getting old and gets nervous if she feels just a little unwell.”

“You’re not an only child, what about your two brothers? Can’t they do anything for her?”

“I appreciate what you’re trying to say, that I’m the one who has to pick up everything, but she prefers me and not a daughter-in-law.”

“Will you be up long packing?”

“No, since the last time I went to her house I’ve kept a bag more or less permanently packed.”

 

That night in bed, when Anna was sound asleep, a thousand thoughts ran through Conrad’s head. He hated cooking and eating alone and coming home to an empty house. The long years of being married had accustomed him to having a woman to look after him, even though he helped out. He didn’t wish his mother-in-law any ill-will, but she would either have to live with them or them with her. It was obvious there was no other way.

 

Anna had rung the bank where she worked and had told them the situation, and as she had been head of the Finance department for some time, she was given permission to have time off for a while to attend to her mother.

 

The following morning saw Conrad watching her drive off as soon as she had had breakfast. It was seven a.m. At seven thirty Conrad left for the television studios where he worked in the sports department.

 

That evening after work, Conrad went for dinner to the small restaurant he often frequented when Anna was visiting her mother. He opened the door and entered and sat down at a table at the back where he could eat in peace. The waiter took his order and as he sat waiting for his meal he stared around him. There was another man also eating alone, but much older than Conrad, who thought that perhaps he wasn’t the only one with a wife visiting an elderly, sick relative. The two men were eventually the last two in the restaurant and the waiter invited them to a coffee, and it was then they saw each other and smiled a greeting.

 

Anna rang Conrad every evening, and the conversation was always the same, she asked, “How are you managing? Are you eating properly? Is the washing and ironing too much for you?”

Conrad always answered, “Yes, everything’s under control. Don’t worry. When are you coming home? I miss you. And how’s your mother?”

Conrad never told Anna that he ate out, and that the laundry was done by a laundry company, and that he had never touched the washing machine or the tumble dryer, and least of all the iron. Anna was happy in her ignorance and Conrad was happy because he had solved the problem of being an abandoned husband, albeit for a short time.

 

The friendship between Conrad and the elderly gentleman, whose name was Albert, was based on the fact that every evening they were to be found having dinner in the restaurant, and they were offered coffee by the waiter before heading off home. The two men got to know each other very slowly, which was to be considered normal as they were from two different generations. But with the waiter talking to both of them after all the other clients had gone home, they began talking to each other as they made their way home. Conrad told Albert about Anna visiting her mother and Albert told Conrad that he lived with his sister, Juliet, who had dedicated her life first to their parents and then to him.

 

One day, Albert rang Conrad at work, inviting him to dinner at his home, saying that Juliet wanted to meet him. Conrad was in two minds about accepting the invitation, but as there was still no sign of Anna returning home, he said yes.

 

“Hello, Juliet, how kind of you to invite me for dinner. It’s the first time in a month that I’ll be eating homemade food. My wife is still at her mother’s.”

Juliet was all tea and sympathy, and dished out sweetness as others dish out mashed potatoes. It was all too easy and superficial for Conrad to stomach. Nevertheless, he ate the dinner with gusto and stayed a respectable time afterwards, so as not to upset either of the two elderly people.

Conrad said on leaving, “Thank you for a very agreeable evening.”

Albert said, “When your wife returns you must bring her too, so we can all meet. We’ll introduce you to Michael and Loretta, they’re a lovely couple, and you’ll like them I’m sure.”

 

Conrad drove home with his head full of dark thoughts. Who were Albert and Juliet, and why should he and Anna get on with two unknowns named Michael and Loretta?

Conrad avoided going to the restaurant where he had met Albert, and made do with takeaways.

 

Anna returned, and life resumed its old routine. Anna had heard with some amazement how Conrad had met Albert and had gone to dinner at Albert and Juliet’s home in a small town. Anna was occupied at work with everything leading up to Christmas, and was in no mood for any interruptions.

By chance, Conrad, who was out shopping one afternoon when Anna was still at the bank, met up with Albert who was with a younger man, “Well! Conrad, fancy meeting you here! This is Michael, who I told you about.”

Conrad’s insides fell apart as his eyes fell on Albert, the last person he wanted to meet. “How do you do, Michael? Pleased to meet you,” Conrad said, trying to be polite, when all he wanted to do was run off.

Michael, who was nearer Conrad’s than Albert’s age, said, “Pleased to meet you, too. Albert’s told me so much about you.”

That remark disconcerted Conrad, as he couldn’t imagine what had been so interesting about him to get Albert gossiping.

“Why don’t you invite Conrad and his wife to dinner next weekend? I’m sure you’ll get on,” Albert said.

Conrad saw Michael swallow hard before saying, “Would you and your wife like to have dinner with us next weekend? My partner, Loretta, would be very pleased to have you over.”

Albert’s eyes went from Conrad’s face to Michael as if trying to read their thoughts.

Conrad felt sorry for Michael, he seemed to be dominated by Albert, as if the elderly gentleman had a hold over him.

“I’m delighted to accept. When, and at what time would you be expecting us?”

“We live in a cottage on the edge of the same town where Albert and Juliet live. It’s easy to find, it’s painted pale blue and has an overgrown garden. Come about seven thirty for drinks. OK?”

“Yes, fine we’ll see you there.” Conrad bade them goodbye and continued with his shopping.

 

Anna was not at all enthusiastic about the visit to Michael and Loretta’s, she just wanted a quiet weekend and didn’t relish the idea of having Saturday spoilt in order to see people who were not even known to Conrad.

Conrad’s reply to Anna’s complaining about the proposed visit to Michael and Loretta, was to find out what Albert and Juliet’s real intentions were, getting involved with younger people.

 

Michael and Loretta had both had previous marriages, and were now partners, living together more from inertia than from a deep passion. The cottage they lived in was rented, something that Albert and Juliet knew nothing of.

 

The Saturday of the visit to the cottage came, and Conrad and Anna drove to where Albert had indicated. It was just as it had been described. The exterior was painted blue and the garden was a delight for cats and dogs in the neighbourhood, but the thatched roof was really tatty.

Conrad and Anna got out and walked along the cracked path to the front door. Michael opened it saying, “Please, be careful. The floorboards are in a perilous condition. We don’t want any accidents.”

“Are Albert and Juliet here yet?” Conrad asked Michael.

“Not yet. Why do you ask?”

“I’m rather curious about them,” explained Conrad.

“Well, as you will have noticed, they like to dominate other people’s lives. They live in a fantasy world and talk about anyone they meet as if they were privy to other people’s lives. They talk about us, and you, and really we’re not interested in them at all. Anyway, they’re arriving, so pretend you didn’t hear what I’ve just told you.”

 

The evening passed off pleasantly enough, but Anna was on edge all the time. She wasn’t happy with the situation at all, with Albert butting in and telling Conrad or Michael to repeat some story he had heard about where they work, or their friends. It was as if he was trying to get inside their lives. Juliet said nothing, but kept up that same air of sweetness all the time.

 

As Christmas came nearer, Conrad and Anna made plans to spend two weeks in a sunny resort to help warm up, in what was a severely cold winter. They started getting out their holiday clothes.

 

Michael and Loretta said nothing about any ideas for Christmas. But alone in their bedroom, Michael and Loretta had an in-depth conversation.

“The owner said we’ll have to move out before Christmas, so that the builders can get in and do up the cottage before putting it up for sale,” Loretta said to Michael.

“I don’t think we need to say anything about any of this to anyone around here,” Michael said to Loretta with a profound look in his eyes. Loretta got the message right away.

“We can pack up and leave this place without anyone knowing - even the owner. We don’t owe him anything. The rent he’s been charging us is exorbitant for this dump, so let’s get out without paying him this month’s rent. What really peeved me, was when I knew Albert had taken my front-door key. What a cheek! I’ve often thought that they might have come in here without our knowing. We’ll leave when it’s dark, and drive silently away. What do you think?” Loretta asked Michael.

“That’s the best thing to do. Meanwhile, we’ll have to find ourselves a new place to live - and not in a village or in a cottage!” declared Michael.

 

Things came to a head when Albert invited Conrad and Anna for Christmas. Conrad and Anna told him that they had other plans, and also that they had children to see during the holiday.

Albert shouted at Conrad over the phone saying, “When I think of how nice we were to you while your wife was away at her mother’s, I think you’re being very ungrateful.”

“I’m sorry you feel that way, but we don’t know you so well as to spend Christmas with you. Why don’t you visit Michael and Loretta?”

“Yes, we may do just that. Enjoy your Christmas, and remember how you let down two old-aged pensioners. Goodbye,” and Albert rang off.

“What was his reaction?” Anna asked Conrad.

“He told me I was ungrateful. I don’t think we’ll be seeing either him or his sister again. Come on let’s get on with the packing.”

 

On Christmas Day, Albert and Juliet decided to walk to Michael and Loretta’s cottage. “Think of the surprise they’ll get when they see us on their doorstep,” Albert said to Juliet, who smiled in agreement.

When the doorbell wasn’t answered, Albert said, “No problem. I’ve got Loretta’s front-door key. I purloined it when we were here once. I took it for emergencies. You never know when someone might pull a fast one on you.”

Albert put the key in the lock, turned it, and opened the door.

“You’re very clever. Nothing escapes you,” Juliet said to her brother.

 

Both of them stepped into the darkness at the same time. Their combined weights were too much for the weakened floorboards, and they fell through the floor. Where some of the floorboards had once been, there was nothing but a deep, dark and narrow space like an inverted funnel.

They were stuck down below and Albert and Juliet realized they were totally alone in the house. Both were suffering from shock and broken bones and splinters.

“I wonder where Michael and Loretta are?” asked Juliet.

“They’re certainly not here,” said a bleeding Albert, who had caught his head on a brick on the way down.

“Let’s call for an ambulance,” suggested Juliet.

Albert made a couple of attempts on his mobile, and then realized that being down the hole meant there was no coverage. “It looks like that we’re out of coverage and out of luck. Unless someone comes to the cottage, we’ll have to wait here till after the Christmas holiday.”

“What about Michael and Loretta? They may come back soon, mightn’t they?” said Juliet.

“Who’s going to come to a cottage with rotten floorboards?” Albert moaned, feeling worse than ever.

 

At that moment, Michael and Loretta were in Finland with Santa Claus and the children from their previous marriages. They had carried out their plan to do a moonlight flit, and had sent keys, but no rent, to the owner, reasoning that the cottage was unfit to live in. The owners had taken advantage of their leaving to get builders in, to repair the cottage before putting it up for sale in the New Year.

 

Anna and Conrad arrived back from their holiday in warmer climes feeling relaxed, and happy to hear that Albert and Juliet, who had not been discovered till after Christmas Day, would no longer be a problem with their interminable interference. The builders had found the dead brother and sister when they had arrived at the cottage to carry out the repairs. Neither had been able to survive the shock and broken bones.

 

The police went to Albert and Juliet’s house, and found information in their computers about many people whom they had known over many years, and had eventually blackmailed after receiving confidences that should never have been shared.

“They won’t be blackmailing anyone where they’ve gone,” said one policeman to another.

“We’d better take all this lot down to the station for the computer boffins to get into.”

 

Michael and Loretta were now installed in a modern flat in a small town. They felt that Albert and Juliet had got their just desserts for stealing Loretta’s front-door key, and walking in without having been invited.

“That’s what you get for interfering in other people’s lives when you’ve got ulterior motives,” Michael said to Loretta.

© 2013 Georgina V Solly


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on October 13, 2013
Last Updated on October 13, 2013
Tags: generations, lies, falsehood, privacy

Author

Georgina V Solly
Georgina V Solly

Valencia, Spain



About
First of all, I write to entertain myself and hope people who read my stories are also entertained. I do appreciate your loyalty very much. more..

Writing