Guilt

Guilt

A Story by Gianna Anaya

“I’m smiling, see? Can’t you see me? I’m smiling. I promise...I’m smiling”

•••

You’re looking at me and I wonder if you’re doing the exact same thing I am; imagining your blood dripping off of my hands as I just stand there looking at you. The bodies move around me, around us, and I know that there’s no soul left, that you’re too far gone, that my hands lying loosely against my thighs, sweaty in my latex gloves don’t mean a damn thing to you. Blood leaks from your lips, and nose and upon this visual I imagine the day after your last breath. I imagine your boss having to clean out your desk. I imagine your best friend crying her eyes out when she swipes through her phone for pictures of your adventures. I imagine your son and daughter sitting at home on the couch, staring at the clock wondering why mommy isn’t home. I imagine the people you’ll leave behind and whisper my apologies.

I’m sorry I couldn’t save you...I'm just so...


“sorry”


© 2017 Gianna Anaya


Author's Note

Gianna Anaya
This is something I wrote after a serious accident call, the beginning was more for my benefit in imagining this is what the patient was saying to me, but alas it was just my attempt at getting my head silent. Please enjoy~

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

powerfully deep...
nobody understands how affected 1st responders are


Posted 6 Years Ago


Gianna Anaya

6 Years Ago

This was my first call that had this kind of ending so I suppose it just hit me a little different, .. read more
J. Hampton

6 Years Ago

no doubt
Thank you for what you do everyday
Very great intensity and first-person account of others dying. I love how much you pack death and grief into such a small paragraph.

My only note is that I actually thought this was an account from a serial killer until the very last line. Admittedly, I read your note after I read your story, but it did give me a serial killer vibe when I read without the context.


Posted 6 Years Ago


Gianna Anaya

6 Years Ago

Thank you for your review! Now that I'm looking through the last portion of the piece it needs some .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

231 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 29, 2017
Last Updated on November 30, 2017
Tags: first responder, bad call, moving forward, help

Author

Gianna Anaya
Gianna Anaya

About
I write the world that exists around me; I write the world I wish existed around me; I write the world I hope no one ever has to witness; above all I write the corners of my brain that I simple can't .. more..

Writing