Dear Future Me,

Dear Future Me,

A Story by Gina
"

This is my speech for my English class ;)

"

Dear Future me, what it’s like over there? It is probably very different than now because everything seems to be changing so quickly. I am so curious to know what life is like over there, even though it could change my life. Are you happy? Are you chasing after your dreams, like we’ve always planned you would? I am constantly worrying about what life will be like for the generations to come.


   I hope nature is healing because going forward, the situations that are consuming environmental campaigns and scientists is going to get to a point where we will give up. It is tragic that our society can boast about how we have used our knowledge to invent, create and change lives when unfortunately some of those inventions have been used to mismanage our Earth. Knowledge is simply information acquired by a person but wisdom, is having good judgment and experience. I constantly see some politicians, engineers, physicists, entrepreneurs and many others mixing up the two and solely focusing on how much they will profit or how much recognition they will get from their new idea or invention. A day doesn’t go by when I don’t see these inventions pollute water, pollute the air, and pollute the soil. When the water is polluted, our water is unsafe to drink and a massive number of 783 million people do not have access to clean water. When the air is polluted, about 5.5 million people die per year. When the soil is polluted, the crops stop growing or cause diseases in places that depend on them like Southeast Asia, Africa, and Central America.


There is so much that I want to continue to be able to do. I hope the trees are still growing and thriving because deforestation is gradually turning forests into deserts. The beautiful leaves that change throughout winter, spring, summer and fall, remind me of time flying by. On sunny days, I am calmed by the shade and shelter that the trees provide me when I am sitting on the grass. I hope the water is clear and an extravagant shade of blue because more lakes, rivers, and oceans are being polluted. Clean water is so essential for our hydration and keeping people clean. I hope the air is still fresh and breezing by. Our plants and animals along with our communities, deserve to breathe in clean air. I’m starting to see that the world God created and loved is slowly being destroyed and it’s so difficult to fix. For now, we need to know, love and act respectfully toward this place that is God’s place and we are supposed to be the caretakers.


I hope that you are attentive because I know eventually things will be distinct and people will be aiming for different goals. Now, technology is everywhere in our day to day lives. The first phone was successfully used in March of 1876 by Alexander Graham Bell. The world wide web first took recognizable form in 1990 by computer scientist Tim Berners-Lee. I was born into the world of technology but I can see how it’s affecting us. When we text, call or go on social media, we are virtually teleporting ourselves into the world that really does change us. Sometimes when you want to talk to a person that isn’t with you at the moment, you go on your phone or computer because it is the easiest way to communicate. Although, when we are with those people, we still use our electronics. It’s interesting because technology has us living in a world where we continue to try to find more and more ways to make our lives centered around electronics, even if that means isolating ourselves, changing the way we think, and forgetting about privacy.


I hope that you are happy because as you get older, things get harder. You probably come home from school or work and feel so tired. Ever since we were ten, we wanted to be an orthodontist so I hope you are doing just that. Most importantly I hope it makes you happy. About 20-40% of employees are miserable at work and I don’t want you to be one of them. It doesn’t matter how much you earn or if the job market is low, remember that your happiness is more important. Please don’t get lost into what everyone else tells you is success. True success is looking at your life and knowing that you are doing a good job. Success isn’t what excellent ideas you thought of first. Success is the achievements you did set out and do. The accomplishments you made for yourself, without thinking about money or power.


There are so many questions I want to ask you because a lot of people are desperate for answers. I can’t really receive the answers now, but I can make them for myself. I can’t try to change the future but I can follow God’s plan by being the person that I know we can be. “Whenever you feel unloved, unimportant or insecure, remember to whom you belong.” I just need you to remember that we have gone through so many bumps in the road and we will go through a million more. We will have unanswered questions, failures, and losses, but that only means God has a better plan for us.

© 2017 Gina


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was such a compelling piece to have read and I'm glad to have come across it. It's always good to read a piece with such solid structure and with plenty of meaningful facts behind it.
The way in which you structured your sentences was executed with real professionalism (not too short or long - they were just right and packed a weighty punch behind them)
I liked how you talked about technology - during this paragraph, it was like you had taken snapshots of 'THEN AND NOW' giving us a brief history and then your play on words when describing 'texting' was really nicely penned.

BEAUTIFUL - the way which you talked about success - BEAUTIFUL and you nailed it when explaining all about it - EXCELLENT.

I AM IMPRESSED - VERY IMPRESSED with this piece.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


matrixmark

7 Years Ago

Keep doing what you are doing and you will excel yourself. Right now you have some great skills with.. read more
Gina

7 Years Ago

I will try to reach my ultimate potential. Thank you for helping me and giving me exceptional feedba.. read more
matrixmark

7 Years Ago

Not a problem at all.
The pleasure was all mine
Mark.
You are a great writer in general and this piece was so professionally delivered in such a great way!Great job on your speech:)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Gina

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much! That means a lot to me;)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 18, 2017
Last Updated on February 18, 2017

Author

Gina
Gina

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



Writing
How I Found You How I Found You

A Poem by Gina