Killing Jar

Killing Jar

A Poem by Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

the only way around it

is to seal myself inside the killing jar --

cotton ball soaked in ether and mislaid words,

until my worried wings go quiet and my eyes

     my ocean eyes     heavy-lidded, see for the first time

 

because I can find them in that place,

(where after meets before) the poems that have sank

like lockless keys to the bottom of my brain,

stitched too tightly these days to just let go

 

when I transform,

my pigments will be more dynamic,

and my lines will cut sharp as scalpel blades

through the tender flesh of this life until it cracks,

     fractures like an eggshell     releasing the sun

© 2013 Girl Friday (Sarah W.)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

'Like lockless keys to the bottom of my brain
Stitched too tightly to just let go.'

Such beautiful imagery! To me, the lockless keys are all of the 'solutions' that people throw at you when you are in that state of mind, but you just don't know what to unlock.

Posted 6 Years Ago


i once tried to kill myself. tried to overdose. but apparantly Flinstone vitamins are not fatal. I d get ver noxious though, and the Dinos turned my tongue purple, but that was it. I thought about slitting my writst but all I had was an electric razor. That was a long night. In my anguish I bit the ears off 74 chocolate bunnies but could not bring myself to eat their little heads. I'm sorry, this is not about me. Any way..I really enjoyed your voice here. A thoughtful well constructive piece all around. I look forward to reading more of your work.

your devoted servant
prufrock

Posted 10 Years Ago


Many of us seem to have those days where our words just don't seem to do enough for us or our thoughts block our words from coming out.
There are times where I focus on a great write I have produced and attempt to out do myself and suffer from sever writers block.

Regards
Troy

Posted 10 Years Ago


I really enjoy the way you manipulate words. Your use of metaphor is top-notch.

Posted 10 Years Ago


A very creative way of addressing Writer's Block, Sarah. Your images were engaging and striking. I liked the last stanza very much - I could see you coming out of your shell, creativity and talent flashing, ready to write again.

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is beautiful. I love the opening stanza, it really grips you and pulls you in. You have a very comfortable relationship with words and it shows.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Always just enjoy your use of language. I often feel uncomfortable when I try to work in sentences or long thoughts in my own poems, so appreciate that way you manage that so nicely. I like that this is both kind of dark but also feels like being on the cusp of letting go of some negative thing holding the narrator back. Some of the imagery is quite arresting. Nice work, as ever.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Eventhough my interpretation seems to be a lot different from others,I still think the poem is excellent,just amazing. When I saw this read request,I immediately stopped what I was doing because I knew I was in for a treat(trust me,I never put a Lana Del Rey song on pause for ANYTHING!!! LOL!) and as it turns out,I wasn't disappointed! I think that's the beauty of literature,you have an idea in mind and when you put it down,readers seem to understand it better and even pick up lessons which you had obliviously penned. I see this poem from two angles,either way,the poem is magnificient and just....really great!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Another great work...
"when I transform,
my pigments will be more dynamic,
and my lines will cut sharp as scalpel blades
through the tender flesh of this life until it cracks,
fractures like an eggshell releasing the sun"
my favourite lines!

Posted 10 Years Ago


I felt like this was healing and transforming through transcendence. I was especially struck by ocean eyes seeing for the first time. The killing jar appeared to me to be a cocoon where you metamorphized into something more than you had been. The sun at the end was the release of a being of pure energy; a higher form of existence was now attained.

Posted 10 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1715 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on October 23, 2013
Last Updated on October 23, 2013

Author

Girl Friday (Sarah W.)
Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

The Beach, CA



About
"She's mad but she's magic. There's no lie in her fire." - Charles Bukowski A NOTE TO MY FRIENDS: Thank you, everyone, who has supported me so kindly on this site. I am humbled by your kind revie.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..