Gallery Quality Love

Gallery Quality Love

A Poem by Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

what is love

if not an unfinished line

a participle dangling her feet in the water  

a noun searching for his lost adjective

a tree without the tall?

 

it is a secret

half filled by illusory hope

left to idle between the white lines

of a street with too many dull lights

too many signs yelling stop

 

i can’t shake the feeling

that my shades are always half drawn

because too much sunlight

would ruin this romance

 

we are better like this

lost in the disorder of not knowing

because the alternative would jar us

into a sharp realization that life mimics art 

 

and maybe our art 

just isn’t gallery quality

© 2013 Girl Friday (Sarah W.)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Oh there are so many lines, that are so brilliant in this one Sarah, great metaphorical insight, and creativity. This write tells me, it's about love, and love that is too late, or not worth it to hang as beautiful in this gallery, but maybe better, because, all that hangs there, isn't private... and sometimes, a silence between two, can make things much better... again a write that makes you think, and ponder, loved reading it.

- Elisa

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

10 Years Ago

Elisa, you are always such a kind and consistent reviewer. I appreciate you so much :)

10 Years Ago

You're ever so welcome, I appreciate you too my dear friend, keep on writing to us, and yourself, we.. read more



Reviews

It's out there. The hardest part is letting yourself be vulnerable when you know there's a ninety-five percent chance you will be crushed at some point. Love is so strange and you did a great job communicating how estranged the feeling can get and how awkward the process of falling in love can be. Another great piece!

Posted 10 Years Ago


It was clever and impressive. The slant of love, the shades half drawn, comparing also to art... This really is a work of art. One that relates to most.

Posted 10 Years Ago


"a participle dangling her feet in the water
a noun searching for his lost adjective"
I simply loved this! You took parts of gradeschool grammar and turned it into a comparison of one searching for love (or perhaps even a love lost). Very beautifully done, GF:)

Posted 10 Years Ago



"we are better like this
lost in the disorder of not knowing
because the alternative would jar us
into a sharp realization that life mimics art "

absolutely amazing ! loved it !

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is a really brilliant POINT! -And I think it is so rare to find philosophical and existential discussions of real merit. I love the line, "shades half drawn" in relation to what you are discussing overall. That is a great analogy. More than just love, WE are that unfinished line. We seek the comfort of being in agreement of others because there is nothing else...like the last Cheerios clinging together in the cereal bowl because there IS nothing left to cling to! The realization that we don't want to spoil the romance by looking outside of that (or letting in too much sunlight) is a great way of describing that...if I understood correctly. I don't think our art isn't gallery quality, I just think that we are like lonely planets in space which are drawn together by our mutual gravity, and we form a working system, but we try to convince ourselves there could be no other way -when it is implicitly obvious there must be infinite other ways to be. Finding this unique way of life is what works for each other is what gives our lives meaning though! Great poetic descriptions, and terrific theme!!

Posted 10 Years Ago


i can’t shake the feeling
that my shades are always half drawn
because too much sunlight
would ruin this romance

I have truly missed your words, dear friend, and this is by far one of your best. You have crafted a piece that touches the heart and soul, questioning love, with such a depth of emotion.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Love such an overused words and understatement comparing with art. The muse intrigues me. If its love why its not complete and half filled and unfinished ? Or perhaps she held back and refused to be completely open and transparent with some reservation. The muse prefer half bake than well done for if it went all the way she hasn't anything more to give..
However I thought about life and any relationship as all unfinished and working process and that's really the beauty of it. If it achieved its intended purpose then its not a journey anymore. You've reached your destination. Knowing that its not a gallery love its still open for improvement and much to work on...
i can’t shake the feeling
that my shades are always half drawn
because too much sunlight
would ruin this romance
Well crafted piece Ms Sarah....


Posted 10 Years Ago


what a beautiful piece this is...your flow is great, and the imagery is stunning. I especially liked the first two middle stanzas. Good to read some of your work again...you get better and better.

Posted 10 Years Ago


"i can’t shake the feeling
that my shades are always half drawn
because too much sunlight
would ruin this romance"

WONDERFUL metaphor here! Some romances do not stand the test of time...or the light of day....but we like to delude ourselves into believing they do. I think that happens even more this time of year. Sarah, this poem is one of your best. I liked the fact you used all lower case letters...it brings an emotional intensity into the poem. Great work. Lydi**

Posted 10 Years Ago


that third stanza. OH LORD. Saturated with depth of emotion. I think I lived there myself in a room like that. Maybe I still do.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3777 Views
84 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on December 13, 2013
Last Updated on December 13, 2013

Author

Girl Friday (Sarah W.)
Girl Friday (Sarah W.)

The Beach, CA



About
"She's mad but she's magic. There's no lie in her fire." - Charles Bukowski A NOTE TO MY FRIENDS: Thank you, everyone, who has supported me so kindly on this site. I am humbled by your kind revie.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Dear Lucifer Dear Lucifer

A Poem by Muse