The Beauty of the World

The Beauty of the World

A Story by Elizabeth

Many would like to believe that the world is a place with an established order, where he who works hard is rewarded and he who slacks shall be left behind. A certain give and take to the world, a peaceable repose. A grand hierarchy, where everyone fits into their own niche, and through dedication one might gradually increase her position within the established order. The world should have order, and nothing should disturb the peace. Because then comes the chaos.

 

There really is no sense of peace though, despite what you may be taught from the most trivial of ages. Some might think that you will always get as much as you give. After all that is why anyone works hard at something, yes? Because if they put in enough effort, they will always gain a just and fitting reward, even if it is mere happiness, or something else intangible. Conversely, if you give, you will always gain something of equal worth, in some form. Is this really the paltry "truth" we teach? A man could be born into poverty and work hard all his life, scratching his way to the surface and never make it in the world. A woman could be born into luxury and never lift a finger, yet still earn more of a reward than the man. Just because she was born "lucky". Where was the worker's reward for all of his work? Die in poverty after trying so hard to live comfortably? What did the woman give to gain so much easiness of life? The world never has peace, the world never rests. It is a cruel and random world, yet the chaos is all so beautiful. The truth, although much less delightful, is much, much, simpler. Life is cold. Life is random. And life doesn't take sides. In a world so filled with bias, the only fair morality is in fact chance. And sometimes people get hurt by it, sometimes they are benefitted by it. But is this really what peace is? Is this cruel and unfair system what describes "peace"? I would hardly think so. Whenever the order of live is disturbed, the hierarchy, any semblance or illusion of peace fraily shatters in the presence of the cold reality.

© 2008 Elizabeth


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on August 29, 2008
Last Updated on August 29, 2008

Author

Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Laurel Springs, NJ



Writing
Go Away Go Away

A Poem by Elizabeth


Les Rues Les Rues

A Poem by Elizabeth