Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Anubis

The crisp spring air entering through the open window of the carriage carried the scent of horses and change. Sasha had to be imagining that change smelled of anything at all, but the thought of it being an intangible thing, something that just happened whether or not one was aware of it, was unbearable. 

Of course, he was aware of this particular bit of change, and painfully so. His entire life now rested on a book and a few short words under one of those incorporeal banners of different: marriage. Trouble was, he had never met his bride. 
It was just the way of things, Sasha supposed. His parents had also been a union of political convenience, though he assumed they had come to love each other in the years since. He found it hard to tell. How did one love a woman? Flowers and gems, and chains of silver and gold. Women had a surprising amount in common with crows, he mused. Treasure hunters, and capable of a murder if gathered in large enough quantities. 
Opposite him sat Knight-Captain Branis, handsome and uncomfortably straight-backed. Sasha liked him well enough, though his experience with the warrior was limited to passing greetings and being rescued by him one night at a spectacularly rowdy party. Sasha tried not to think about his close brush with becoming a castrato. 
Regardless of the assurances given when Sasha was told he would be accompanied by the stoic man, the truth was made obvious by the way that Branis's gaze flitted over to him every few minutes. It was starting to become aggravating, and did nothing to ease Sasha's growing feeling of being a caged dog.
"Is my father so worried I'll escape?" It was impossible to keep the bite of resentment out of his voice. Being the seventh son of the King of Prazdny, he had been largely ignored his whole life. Until there was a chance to use him as a political pawn, it had seemed he was doomed to play the extra in his own life. His brothers often half-joked that his destiny was to live in a monastery, as only God could have a purpose for him.
Branis fixed Sasha with a calculating regard. "It is a rare man that can resist temptation, My Lord."
Sasha's irritation must have been evident, for the other man continued, "my duty is to be your protector, however. Samavske is not yet an entirely friendly addition to the Imperium."
The Knight-Captain wasn't wrong. Since the defeat and subsequent capitulation of their Prince-Lord, Jaromir the Red, the Principality of Samavske had been marked by pockets of rebellion, twain with several high-profile deaths. The last, a governor and his family, had been impaled and left to rot on the side of the Red Highway.
The thought sent a shiver up his spine.
"You needn't worry about it." Sasha was sure he would take any amount of unknowns if the alternative was agonizing death. Branis gave him a mirthless smile, clearly following the young man's train of thought. 
"Your father will be glad to hear it, especially since he has gone to so much trouble for you."
Sasha frowned. The idea of his father doing anything with him in mind was strange and, if he was to admit it, uncomfortable. The King was not a doting man. Branis cocked an incredulous brow.
"Do you really think the seventh son was anyone's first choice? No, King Anton fought with his advisors for months to get you into this position. He might have failed had the Prince's daughter not insisted on you, specifically."
The weight of an unwelcome realization settled over Sasha's mind. 
"She can't inherit." It was a statement pricked with anger. Branis nodded.
So he was to be the sacrificial lamb on the altar of power. There were worse fates, true, but the thought of being left to languish in a soon-forgotten minor province left a bitter taste in his mouth.
They lapsed into silence, though Branis's gaze no longer danced between Sasha and the countryside. He liked to think that the Knight-Captain felt some measure of guilt over being party to ensuring lifelong imprisonment and obscurity, but the sword propped against the carriage wall reminded Sasha that Branis had actually killed several people, so this was probably very low on his list of things to feel remorseful about. 
Somehow that made things worse. 


© 2019 Anubis


Author's Note

Anubis
Trying my hand at writing something that isn't steeped in misery. We'll see.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like it! It was very intriguing and gripping. Though I must say, it is a bit dry for a prologue, it get's the job done.

Great work Anubis! I look forward to Chapter One!!! *v(^v^)v*

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on March 30, 2019
Last Updated on March 30, 2019
Tags: romance, fluff, drama


Author

Anubis
Anubis

Underworld, Egypt



Writing
Empty Spaces Empty Spaces

A Poem by Anubis


Eremophobia Eremophobia

A Poem by Anubis