Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Nicholas Duboe

After a silent car ride, we pulled up into the driveway and I hopped out of the car before it could even completely stop. With my backpack repeatedly hitting my side, I rushed through the front door, ran down the hall, bursted into my room and immediately shut my door. I dropped my bag and leaned against the wood, lowering myself to the ground. I pulled my phone from my pocket. Two missed calls, three texts, one voicemail. Mom.


"Hey." Said one.

"How did it go?" Asked another.

"Call me when you can." Read the last.


"Jason, its Mom. I was wondering about your visit with Dr. Samwell today. Message me later, okay? Love you." Click, I tossed my phone onto the bed a few feet away from me, sunk my head into my hands and ran my fingers through my hair.


Today was my first visit with Dr. Samwell. I sat patiently in his tan painted waiting room while smooth jazz gently played from the speakers above. After awhile, the assistant called me up and led me down a few halls to Dr. Samwell's office. As I entered the office, he quickly stood up, introduced himself, shook my hand, offered me a seat and then placed himself back behind his desk. I then sat again in a dark brown leather chair centered right in front of him. He looked at a piece of paper, which I assumed to be mine considering he looked at me and then said, "So.. Jason. What brings you in here today?"


I looked at him but didn't say anything. I'm not really much of a talker. I understand the concept of meeting someone new and being able to converse with ease. They say something, you say something and that process repeats itself until the conversation is over or, in my case, until my thirty minutes is up. I understand the concept. I never said I could execute it. Plus Im sure everything he needs to know about me is on that little piece of paper on his desk anyway.


Dr. Samwell looks at me,"Your uncomfortable." He says, "Thats okay. I get it. New place, new people, new situation. Its kind of weird right?"


You've got my attention, Doctor.


"Well since this is your first visit, how about you get to know me. Then, when you feel the time is right, maybe you can tell me something and when we're done here, I'll give you a little gift."


Now you have my wonder.


"Like I said, my name is Dr. Steven Samwell. I was born right here in Garland, Texas and I am now thirty-four years old. I have been a therapist who preferably likes helping young adults like yourself, for nearly eight years now and I've enjoyed every moment of it. The passion I have for this job comes from personal experiences I had when was around your age dealing with some issues of my own. Now, I saw you look at my paper so I'm guessing you were wondering what was on it. Correct?"


I waited, then nodded slightly.


"It is a hypothesis based on what your parents told me about you and the few moments we've had together so far. Since you can nod, I am going to read you what is on here and if it's correct, nod yes. If not, shake no. Easy enough?"


I nodded again.


"Your name is Jason James Westfield and your seventeen years old. Correct?"


Nod.


"You tend to be quiet, detached or shy. This keeps you from having many friends or doing outgoing things that would involve social interaction. Correct?"


Nod.


"You also tend to get anxious when placed in those kind of situations. So much so, that you could even break into what some would call a panic attack. Correct?"


Nod.


"Frequently, you feel down for long periods of time, but unlike being bipolar you don't get the mania associated with it, just the depression side. Correct?"


Nod.


"For you, it is very difficult to fall asleep at night. Even though you try, you can't. Correct?"


Nod.


"Now let me ask you this." He paused, "Have you ever thought of or tried ending your life?"


I froze. Apparently he knew I didn't like that question because he quickly changed the subject after writing a note on my paper.


"Do you speak often?"


I shook my head no.


"Do you speak at school?"


I shook again.


"Do you speak at home?"


Unfortunately, I sadly shook my head once more. He again, wrote something on my paper.


The rest of the session went on with Dr. Samwell asking me a couple more questions and writing a few more notes. I continued answering with nods and shakes which I assume was okay because he didn't object. After a few more minutes he began talking about some possible thoughts as to what he had in mind for my treatment. 


"Now Jason." He took a breath, "Would you want to use medication for any of your symptoms?"


I shook my head quickly.


"So you just want to try to work it out together?"


I nodded.


"Are you sure?"


I nodded again.


"Well okay." He said, "We can try to do it your way. However, if I see it isn't helping and I don't notice a significant improvement I will have to let my professional opinion over-rule our little agreement. Deal?" He held out his hand.


Shyly, I reached out and shook it softly.


"Good. Now just for being a good sport through all this I said I'd give you a gift, right?"


I nodded as Dr. Samwell got up from his desk and walked over to a large wooden cabinet in the corner of the room. He then took out a ring of keys from his pocket and unlocked the cabinet's doors. That is when he unveiled the composition book and pencil. As I rose from the leather chair, he brought them up to me and placed them kindly in my hands. I glanced down at my gift and noticed the front of the book already had my name written on it.


"Maybe you can write down all the things you don't want to say out loud." He then guided me to the door, "Ill see you next Wednesday, okay?"


Turning to him, I nodded for a final time but this one was different. Because this time, my nod was actually accompanied by a small grin as if to say thank you. 


I then walked out of his office, down the halls, through the waiting room and out the front door. My Dad was waiting by the car smoking a cigarette and he pointed for me to sit in the back. Without a word he flicked his smoke to the cement, ducked into the car and started the engine. Dr. Samwell was Mom's idea and my Dad made sure to make that evidently clear. Yet, her worry did manage to get him to take me today. 


I opened the back door, put my gift into my bag inside and tossed it away. Falling down into the seat, I shut the door behind me. My mind then had to wonder if tension could, in fact, be palpable because I don't know what hung in the air among us but I can tell you this.


It without a doubt, absolutely, positively, one hundred percent, felt awful.



© 2015 Nicholas Duboe


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was well written for the most part, although I was mildly confused initially regarding the fact that this chapter was technically a flashback of the therapy appointment. I may have missed it, but I don't think you said in the first chapter that Jason was on his way home. If you did state that, my apologies - I just missed it.

As someone before me commented, there are a few grammatical errors, but nothing that couldn't be easily fixed. I found Jason's character interesting and I liked Dr. Samwell. Keep up the good work!

Posted 9 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
Yeah, I was hoping that the gift was a bottle of Xanax. Erase you anxiety through the magic of chemistry. You know what, G.L.? (since you won't give me a first name that's what I decided to call you...but not for long?) the way it works here is, as much as I like your writing, I've got 50+ other writers I read, and if you can't reciprocate by read/reviewing some of my stuff I'll look elsewhere. Your choice. take care...dan

Posted 9 Years Ago


An excellent start to a story that holds much potential.

What I found interesting is that you have managed to accurately portray the role of the therapist, avoiding the stereotypes one often finds across the media.

Another thing I would like to mention is that I found that I was able to relate to Jason from the get go. I myself have previously had some personal experiences with therapists and, again, I feel that you have accurately portrayed a character that is exploring the issue of depression and mental health in general.

I think I noticed a couple of grammatical errors and, personally, I believe that one or two sentences could use some restructuring. I recommend you speak this chapter out loud to yourself and make note of where you naturally pause. Check whether you have punctuated these places accurately. Also make note whether you stumble on any of the sentences, if you do, try altering them so that they flow better.

All that being said, I am by no means a professional, merely being a novice writer myself, so please do not feel obliged to correct these issues. After all, this is your masterpiece. :)

I look forward to seeing where you take the character of Jason, especially the development of the relationship between himself and the therapist. Keep up the good work! :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Nicholas Duboe

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much! I will try and work out the kinks. This is definitely a work in progress and I .. read more
Good job on this chapter as well. The premise is interesting and it gives a behind the scenes look at therapists, whereas people who have never had an experience with one are stereotypically biased on who the people who see them are actually like. Nicely done :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Nicholas Duboe

9 Years Ago

Thank you! Coming from someone who isnt even really into this type of work your feedback is great an.. read more
Ryan Henderson

9 Years Ago

Thanks, I will read almost anything and give critique the best I can, but I REALLY enjoy fantasy/fic.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Dr
I really like the premise and I'm already hooked on Jason and the Dr. I've enjoyed all of it so far and look forward to more.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Nicholas Duboe

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much! Im really glad you enjoyed it!
Very good, I really enjoyed reading this.
Can't wait to see where this story goes.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Nicholas Duboe

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much!!
A great opening, this story could go far.
Keep going! Keep getting feedback.
Develop it, nurture it, grow it!

Keep up the good write!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Nicholas Duboe

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much! So glad you liked it!
As usual, i feel like the only way i could further improve your writing is to provide textual feedback to improve upon your grammar/spelling errors. If you feel offended by my comments in any way, please let me know.
-"With my backpack repeatedly hitting my side I rushed through" there should be a comma after "side".
-In the paragraph starting "Jason, its mom." there needs to be a comma separating the "later" and "okay" in "call me later okay?".
-In the paragraph starting with "I looked at him but didnt" there should be an apostrophe in didn't.
-Also in the same paragraph, "until the conversation is over or in my case" there should be a comma after "or".
-In the paragraph starting with "well since this is your first visit" I found a few mistakes. Comma after "Then" in the second sentence, "but" should be changed to "and" and "Ill" should have an apostrophe between the two l's.
-In the paragraph starting "Like I said" in the sentence containing "for eight years now and Ive enjoyed every moment of it" the "Ive" needs to have an apostrophe between the I and the V.
-In the line saying "I waited then nodded slightly" there needs to be a comma between "waited" and "nodded".
-In the next paragraph, in the sentence starting "Since you can nod," there is a time in the sentence when you use "its" and the spelling should be "it's".
-A little further down in the paragraph starting "You also tend to get nervous when placed into" the "into" should be "in".
-In "Frequently, you feel down for long periods of time but" there should be a comma between "time" and "but".
-In the second to last paragraph, there is a time when you say "in fact" and there should be a comma before "in" and also after "fact".
-Also, in the seventh indented paragraph of the paper, starting "You've got my attention Doctor" there should be a comma between "attention" and "Doctor".
Sorry about all the criticism... I just like to edit and since I enjoy your writing, I find it easier to edit.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Amelia May

9 Years Ago

I am more of an editor than a writer, and sometimes it comes off as snobbish and unnecessary.
Nicholas Duboe

9 Years Ago

Well if you think about it, publishers actually hire editors to do what your doing for me right now .. read more
Amelia May

9 Years Ago

Of course I am doing it for free. Why should someone pay me money for something that I enjoy doing? .. read more
very go I loved it keep writing more

Posted 9 Years Ago


Nicholas Duboe

9 Years Ago

Thank you!!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

496 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 27, 2015
Last Updated on February 28, 2015


Author

Nicholas Duboe
Nicholas Duboe

Bowie, TX



About
Hello there, my username is a pen name to be honest but I am currently 26 years old. I am a husband, a father and a son. I am also a poet and attempting novelist. I began writing years ago using Books.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..