The Voice

The Voice

A Story by Grace Seibert
"

A short story thriller

"

I inch closer and closer.  I don’t even know what I am doing out here alone, but I seem to be waiting for something.  Leaves crack.  Twigs snap.  My heart pounds, my head circles.  I think something is waiting for me.  I forgot that this forest is a killer.  A killer of two girls that dared to go into this forest, and now they are haunting it and murdering all who step into it.  I think I’m next.  And that’s when I heard the voice.

Voices inside my head whisper.  They echo my shadow.  I can’t make out the words.  What to do?  What to do?  “Who’s there?”  I yelled.   I blink slowly, staring around me.  I think I am surrounded.  I am not even aware of what wants to kill me, or what is following me.  What is following me?  I looked back.  Nothing.  Who is following me?  

That’s when the voices dragged me into their world.  Spirit's, fire, rage, screaming, I can’t, help somebody help!  No one can hear me.  No one can hear the voice.  I can hear the voice, and I will not survive the voice.   My heart races, butterflies in my stomach my head telling me that there is no escape.  I feel no pain.  But I know this is the end until...where am I?

I find myself on the ground after something happened to me.  I can’t even remember what it was.  Footsteps.  The mysterious and terrifying sound gets closer, closer, and closer.  I couldn’t look.  I shut my eyes, and froze.  I didn’t move.  I couldn’t move.  That’s when I heard the voice.  The voice mumbles, like a rag doll that was abandoned in a haunted house for 100 years.  I think it might be true.  “Can you come and sleep with us?”  the voice whispers.  I hear the girls.

“Shut up,” I whispered, covering my ears slowly.  

“Won’t you come and play with us?” the voice sings innocently.

“Leave me alone!” I held my ears, tears running down my cheeks by the minute.  Every moment that goes by, every step further I am into the grave.  “Stop, go away!”

“If you don’t come and play with us, we are going to kill you.”

I froze.  My eyes filled with fear.  I squeezed my eyes shut.  I let out my last breath. “Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!”  And that was the last time I heard the voice.  

© 2017 Grace Seibert


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Was there a voice or was it the power of imagination? You have told a chilling tale in a short story. My own preference is for psychological thrillers rather than supernatural one because I find them more believable. I think you do need to do a bit of proof reading to pick a few minor points. For example 'tears running down my cheeks by the minute' - I don't think you need 'by the minute'. Also 'closer, closer, and closer. I couldn’t look' should it be 'can't look' to be consistent with the tense?
Well done!
Alan

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

372 Views
1 Review
Added on January 28, 2017
Last Updated on January 28, 2017