The noise

The noise

A Story by Gracious
"

This is a descriptive piece about the contrast of noise and silence

"

Loud noise was spread across the city, finding itself pooling in alleyways and crevices in the concrete. It moved like a nauseating backdrop to an offset cluster of people surrounded by grey skyscrapers. I know that when I breathe in, noise fills my lungs, but when i breath out, the noise does not return, that’s how I know it stays inside me. I want to hold my breath as I walk through the streets, to keep the noise from building up in my bones. I am deeply aware when I lay down at night of all the noise settling in pools on my spine. I feel it lazily spread through my veins when I rise in the morning. As I tire through the day it clumps into my feet and makes them swollen and heavy, dragging me into a slower and slower pace as I go through the day. But the worst is when it creeps up my neck when I’m paying no attention and seeps into my brain. I feel it lurch jerkily through memories and cloud my thoughts. It corrodes at my focus and even tugs on my consciousness.

Luckily, however, I am fortunate in that I spend most of my day in one of the few points of solace in the city. Noise is very clever, cunningly slipping its way through cracks in bricks and hinges of windows. It can wriggle under your sheets and shake you from your sleep. Even so, two hundred year old stone-brick walls, heavy mahogany doors, and thousands of books can absorb the noise and hide it between lines of black letters. Upon opening one such book, the noise seeps out as the voices of characters and narrated stories.

This place held the silence, sealing it in, but every time that the great wide doors swung open, a little bit of silence escaped. It only managed to last a few seconds, maybe brushing through one’s hair or picking up a few leaves to carry back into the noise. After these savory moments, the silence dissipates and breaks itself up into the noise again. Then, again every step beat down peace with it’s pounding. Every word pushed away the slightest hint of serenity. Every breath squeezed out the last of our sanity. With these sounds came those of fingernails scraping through skin. Frustrated pencils tapping on glossy desks. The cries of voices who just want to be heard above the rest. The slamming of hearts inside of chests that need a brain to hear them. Simplicity and individuality could not be found together in the same room. No one understood.
-Gracious

© 2014 Gracious


Author's Note

Gracious
This is a descriptive piece about the contrast of noise and silence
PS.this is not meant to be a complete story, but if I get any good reviews, I'll make it into one.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The images that you created with your words were amazing when I pictured it in my head as I read. I would love to see you continue with this as well. I did not see any errors at all in your writing. Nice work!

Posted 9 Years Ago


I encourage you to go on with this! It'll make for an interesting story.

-CW

Posted 9 Years Ago


Concrete imagery is wonderful here.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Gracious

9 Years Ago

That means a lot coming from a writer like you!
A very creative and clever story. Well done!

:) Julie

Posted 9 Years Ago


Gracious

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much!
My whole life is filled with noise. Mental noise, physical noise, everything. I have a hard time imagining life without it! I'm the oldest of 6 kids, and there's a LOT of teenage drama going on EVERYWHERE. With me, with my friends, with my brothers. It's just insane.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Gracious

9 Years Ago

O wow! I feel for you! My dad is one of 13 XD thanks for your lovely review
now this is good writing. It felt as if I was twisting and weaving with 'noise' as I read each sentence. I admire your skill with imagery and description as I have recently learned how difficult they can be. Keep it up!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Gracious

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much! That means a lot coming from a writer like you!
I like it. Its very detailed. Noise is like that. In my house, I can never escape noise... its really annoying.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Gracious

9 Years Ago

yay! I'm really glad that you're understanding this in the intended way

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 2, 2014
Last Updated on June 2, 2014
Tags: noise

Author

Gracious
Gracious

About
I just love to write to show people what I really mean more..

Writing