Modernisation

Modernisation

A Story by GraemeH
"

The world will always change, who are we to control it?

"

Modernisation

You pick up the news.

You read about a new condominium complex development proposed in an area you thought would never birth such a litter.

You may think ill of this idea in a city already beset with metal and glass beasts, but there is nothing that you can do.

--

The only thing stopping us from becoming a city that was once a low-rise-lined haven is time and demand. It shall forever be interspersed with these sky-scrapers, popping up like welts.

The low-rises forgotten, the new ‘street-level’ will soon be at dizzying heights.

Historic buildings will make way to the taller and bigger specimens that are far more profitable and spacious. Following this, mega-scrapers become the new point of contention; popping up as eyesores within the humble domain of the now ‘regular’ towers.

The wedge between that time and now will be filled with the standard debates and protests that occur; fights and impassioned diatribes about detrimental progression and the diminishing preservation of the city’s historical character.

This wedge will diminish over time, driven out by the demands of a fast rising population; replaced by new concerns that have arisen as a result of the original progress having already transpired.

As a people we’ll be up in arms about lots of things and all of the time. In one moment we’ll be focused on one small segment of the world to be angry with and the next we’ll care about some new change to society’s fabric, and with the same level of passion.

Our world view often centres on an unflinching belief that we can make a change to it. Time controls this though. Our beliefs can do nothing but wax and wane like the moon. 

We are staunch in our personal causes until we get cheated out of them by rough coercions - something forcing us or proving us to be wrong - defeated by the other side.

We’ll be quashed by the big fish who wield the true power. Progress is tantamount to the sum of its profiteers.

We will all be merciless to them; the wealthy developers, councils and judiciaries who will beat us out of our collective dogma in the end. There are no moratoriums here.

We will move on; eviscerated, yet still with will to fight - the onslaught is endless.

In thirty years all this current noise will have become ‘the norm’. In thirty years we’ll have something else to complain about.

We change as the world around us changes, we move with its ebb and flow.

We can fight against it as though trying to win a fistfight with the ocean, but in the end we are overcome, useless against the incoming rage that is the tide of change.

Embrace.

© 2014 GraemeH


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
Added on July 23, 2014
Last Updated on July 28, 2014
Tags: short story, flash, non-fiction

Author

GraemeH
GraemeH

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
British-Australian currently living in Toronto. more..

Writing
The House Fish The House Fish

A Story by GraemeH


Reminiscing Reminiscing

A Story by GraemeH