I Will Never Love Again

I Will Never Love Again

A Poem by Beatrice Boyle (Grandma Bea)
"

True love comes but once in a lifetime...if it ever comes to you...hold it tight...cherish it...nourish it...for it comes but once in a lifetime!

"

 


I will never love again
and give my heart away
as I have done with you my love
though now you've gone away.
I will never love another
as I have worshipped you
and worked and prayed
for your success
in all you tried to do.
I will never love again
and let my poor heart bleed
for even though God called you home
you're all I'll ever need.

 

Copyright2000 Beatrice Boyle
(All Rights Reserved)

© 2009 Beatrice Boyle (Grandma Bea)


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh Bea
This is beautiful and it brings up so many emotions! The title and opening line are so sad. I wish you would never think this, even if it is true. I believe in love and I believe that it can bless us at the oddest and most unexpected times in our lives. To illustrate this, I will tell you a story.

My grandmother Blanche was widowed around age 47. She must have been something of an old maid, as she never married until she was 35. Had 3 beautiful, successful children.

At some point, she came to live with our family, the family of her youngest daughter. We were in Raleigh, North Carolina and she was working as a secretary for an insurance company. I have many fond memories of her time with us. Anyway, after she retired, she no longer had a place to go, stopped going to church, stopped getting her hair done and fell under the weight of a general malaise.

My mother noticed this and told her she needed to get out. After this nudging from my mother, she decided to attend a church picnic. She visited with a gentleman who was someone's brother from out of town. Next thing I know, letters start arriving for my grandmother. Love letters. And we started to hide them. Six months after the church picnic, my grandmother--letter in hand--announced that she was getting married and moving to Memphis! She was 72 years old and had been a widow for 25 years! My mother was astounded. I wasn't. I was about 10 years old. Why wouldn't my grandmother fall in love, get married, and move to her own house?

Long story short, she moved to Memphis and had a happy 8 years with her husband who was a CPA with emphysema. (My grandfather was a ne're-do-well roofer who died young from Hodgkins Disease.) After her Memphis husband died, she moved to an assisted-living facility in Oakland, California near my mother.

She was very popular with the guys, seemingly a complete reversal of her experience as a young woman never proposed to until she was past 30. She regularly received a group of men into her house with no kitchen for weeknight cards. Her roommates were so jealous, they tried to get a rule passed "No men in the house after 8 p.m." She reported to my mother a number of marriage proposals and that one man offered her the total of his net worth, telling her the balances of his bank accounts. To all these last proposals, she demurred, but certainly it was an unexpected, blessing of old age for her to know she was desired.

I have another story, but I think I will email you as this is supposesd to be text of review.

Hattie

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 15, 2009

Author

Beatrice Boyle  (Grandma Bea)
Beatrice Boyle (Grandma Bea)

Woodcliff Lake, NJ



About
Hi from Grandma Bea. I am 81 yrs. young and have been writing for the last 25 years or so. My whole world consists of classical music, Opera ( I was a classicaly trained Soprano, singing Opera, Broa.. more..

Writing