The Long Walk Home

The Long Walk Home

A Story by Gordon Greene
"

Added Back

"

 

Waiting on that call from Trini left me more than a little breathless. She was the cutest possum in my Science class and when she asked me for my phone number I almost died (at least I almost played possum… how embarrassing)!

Of course I gave it to her. You would too!

I walked home that afternoon the long way just so I could stand by the creek and look at the water. I imagined I could see her reflection beside mine in the rippling water. I pretended the rest of the way home she was walking beside me, the grass crunching beneath our toes while we talked about nothing.

I climbed to the top of the tree at the end of the driveway and hung on the highest strong branch staring up at the sky… hoping to catch a glimpse of a cloud that looked like, well, that looked like Trini.

“Hey little guy”, said Mama Possum as I floated in the back door. I was a little too lost in thought to hear. My afternoon milk and cookies didn’t even seem so important today.

I went straight to my room and sat on the bed staring at my pillow… “Hello, Trini… uh… Hey... ummm, Hi, Sweety” I cooed to the air. None of it sounded right. When I answered that phone it had to be perfect.

I pondered for what seemed like hours, and was just in the middle of pondering some more when it happened…”BRRRRRING!”

“It’s for me Mom!” I shouted, and I scurried down the steps.

I picked up the phone and my voice broke as I squeaked out, “Hello”.

“Gordon”, spoke the beautiful voice on the other end of the line. “I don’t know how to ask this… I was wondering. Could I copy your paper during the Science test tomorrow?”

“Sure, Trini… sure...”

The next day for some reason, I felt too sick to go to school, but I think the lesson I learned was enough to last a possum a lifetime.

Trini never bothered to call me again.

I sure did love that possum…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

© 2008 Gordon Greene


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well this has put me off my roadklil for a while. I'll be too upset to scrap it off the pavement with my beak after reading of your heartbreak. I caw for you. But seriously if she ever gets hit by a car and is there as roadkill, is it okay if I have eat her for lunch?

:)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

a touch lesson to learn for a little possum. This is a story my nerdy little Sarah would love.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's a good thing that you got shed of that little possum, she was just out to use you. T

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Aww, that bad girl possum! She was using you for homework and you loved her...I have seen this all too often...hang in there kiddo, there are good girls in the world too :) You did a good job with this one ;)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I remember... you didn't eat milk and cookies for a couple of weeks so I had to eat yers and mine too...

I know you was real broke up about Trini, but she wasn't worth it kid.

Love ya' man.

Bear

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

251 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 25, 2008

Author

Gordon Greene
Gordon Greene

About
Musician, poet, trier of new things. I write many styles If you don't like what you read, read the next one. Like everybody else... just trying to make a mark while I still have the time and energy... more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..