The Meaning of Existence

The Meaning of Existence

A Story by ~Nina~
"

A short story of sorrow and loss.

"

My feet slosh in the puddles, rain droplets falling among the terrain, only to add to my misery. A clap a thunder sends a chill down my spine, and a bright flash a lightning appears a few miles further. Where am I going, exactly? Even I do not know. Somewhere, anywhere but here. A place to leave my past behind and begin a new journey. But where is this place? I've been walking for a day and haven't a clue. 


My mind wanders to yesterday, when I was home, safe and sound. Home, where Mother would bake a warm batch of cookies and set them out on the dining table, awaiting me to arrive and gorge them down, and smiling as I did so. Home, where Father and I would travel to the lake to fish and share stories. I missed Mother and Father. And I am sure they miss me. After all, I was their only child, their only joy. I loved Mother and Father. Oh, how I wish they could be here!


Guilt overcomes my body, and soon I am shivering. No, it isn't the guilt. Not this time. The cause is the wind fiercely gusting throughout the air. The agony is unbearable.

Why did I leave home? The only place I was happy? It always brought a smile to my face...and I just abandoned it? Home. I must go back. Home.


Suddenly, a final wisp of wind knocks me off my feet, and I collapse to the filthy path. My fingers run across the asphalt road. I solemnly cough a bit, and watch as my chest slowly rises up and down. What else can I do? I've had a splendid life, but here I belong. Alone. Ah, yes. Alone. I love it.

A sensation of pain and drowsiness tingles through my body, and I take in one last deep breath of fresh-air. And I close my eyes. Eternally.

© 2013 ~Nina~


Author's Note

~Nina~
Could you picture this person's struggle? Did I use plenty of details?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

The opening was great, I felt it set the tone and built initial tension nicely. The second paragraph is really what leaves me confused. Or, more aptly put, it feels like there's a missing paragraph between the second and third paragraph. I have difficulty relating to this person because I have no idea why they left. I can understand looking back in hindsight and wondering "why did I do this? Was I seriously that stupid?", which is kind of the feeling I got in the third paragraph. It's nicely done, good descriptions. I just feel something is missing that could help me really relate to your character.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Good little story. THe protagonist needs to go back home.

Posted 10 Years Ago


~Nina~

10 Years Ago

Thank you!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

225 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 20, 2013
Last Updated on May 20, 2013
Tags: short story, sorrow, loss, sad, depressing, struggle

Author

~Nina~
~Nina~

Manitou Springs, CO, CO



About
Hello, everyone. Well, obviously, I have a deep passion for writing, and do it nearly everyday. In my lifetime, I have written many poems, short-stories, and novels, and I hope to share many of them w.. more..

Writing
Flames Flames

A Poem by ~Nina~


My Wee Dolly My Wee Dolly

A Poem by ~Nina~