Storm

Storm

A Poem by Giulia King

She feels the walls caving in,
she takes a look in the mirror,
disgusted by what she sees. 
"I wish I was braver,
prettier,
...more like her." 
She says shivering.
No one seems to understand her.
Her mind wants to find home.
She is like a shadow in this world.
A chapter of her soul, no one has read yet.
A lonely soul that's allergic to other people.
They affect her too much.
She keeps wandering off to greater places.
So unhappily in love with another world.
A world where she belongs.
So, alone she sits in the dark.
Dreaming away to a place where the stars shine brightly for her. 
...
Sadness hits her like a knife in the back at 3am.
She takes a steaming, hot shower trying desperately to scrub off all the bad voices.
Her head is a storm.
She has forgotten the passion she used to have for life,
her personality has become a burden.
She feels the water dripping on her skin like acid.
She turns off the shower and takes a deep breath.
... 


© 2017 Giulia King


Author's Note

Giulia King
"This too shall pass" right?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

this is a good write Gullia. disturbing but very well written indeed. as usual many great lines. strong, painful, uncomfortable imagery. definately a troubled soul. can feel the torment. a real downer. 'She is like a shadow in this world.
A chapter of her soul, no one has read yet.
A lonely soul that's allergic to other people.'
'Sadness hits her like a knife in the back at 3am.'
'her personality has become a burden.' - excellent lines. loved them. great title & pic goes so well.


Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Giulia King

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much, Pete! I always look forward to your reviews :)



Reviews

depression sucks and your poem brings it alive... very sorry you are going through this Giullia,... sometimes writing your thoughts out whether as poetry like this one, or in prose in a notebook helps... hopefully you have friends or someone who you can talk to, confide in....
anyway, I am insane so pay me no mind, but I did like your poem and hope that "it does pass"...

Posted 5 Years Ago


Heavy sigh, "she keeps wandering off to greater places" a very telling line, and what does it take to be happy in any one of those places when the happiness is rooted in our hearts and minds and not our location. An ode to the constant soul searching of the restless and probably supra creative mind. I loved the feel and the pace of this, great writing!!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Scrubbing voices, ah, but not even Barb wire can take those away. Keep fighting the storm, I'm here grounding myself to a single blade of grass.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Very effective writing that creates a picture in the readers mind. Describing the person in the mirror as someone different then what you feel you are very effectively.
Many times the "reviews" on this site are more orientated to affirming psycho analysis then the intent for feedback on writing skills per se, so I will refrain from that and simply state ... "Very effective mental picture creating, indeed". My first read of your work, and I look forward to other of your writings.



Posted 5 Years Ago


Absolutely beautiful. Touching, thank you for sharing.

Posted 6 Years Ago


It more than always passes. I can so relate to this piece. Sadly.
But yeah, it always passes. You hope for longer intervals...
Your writing is on the mark.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Vivid portrayal of an alienated and lonely figure. A few lines stuck out for me.

A lonely soul that's allergic to other people.

Quite visceral. An almost physical repulsion to humanity.

Sadness hits her like a knife in the back at 3am

Ahhh always tends to strike at 3am (que french music murmuring). But again, another violent jolt of loneliness.

The shower almost acts as a metaphor of purity, cleansing, maybe even rebirth - deep breath, reentering.

I think a lot of introspective, intellectual or artsy types can def relate to this piece.





Posted 6 Years Ago


Everything passes. Nothing beats a hot shower. I'd live in mine, if I could.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This too shall pass- the only thing we can be sure of is change and I believe for the good on this case - you aren’t always made to fit in but to stand out because of the unique amazing individual you are- not everyone’s cup of tea but hey that’s also ok some people don’t appreciate the best if the best at the best of times- at times we may not understand everything or anything but knowing it’s all part of a bigger plan and that it’s ok is what makes us stronger gets us through- I do wish u peace of mind and much love and comfort- sending love and healing and happiness🌹

Posted 6 Years Ago


' Her mind wants to find home. # She is like a shadow in this world. - A chapter of her soul, no one has read yet. -

Tis a while since I visited and truly apologise for that. '

Your words are more than sad, they are in desperate need for hug, some hand-holding and a kind listener. Seems here your character compares self with other people, wish this, wish that.. hard to stop but so it goes on. Seems best not compare self with anyone else but.. to compare self with how you were yesterday and.. how you want to be tomorrow is so much wiser. Makes helpful sense, perhaps?

Posted 6 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
emmajoy

6 Years Ago

Has worked for me a couple of times. Guess all we can do is either claw a way over a hurdle or stay.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1797 Views
44 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on March 15, 2017
Last Updated on October 31, 2017

Author

Giulia King
Giulia King

New York, NY



About
more..

Writing
Ink Ink

A Poem by Giulia King



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Eclipse Eclipse

A Chapter by Dr. YumnaKay