Anamnesis

Anamnesis

A Story by Fictionborn
"

Mankind grew blind by seeing.

"

 

In the early dawn of a beautiful autumn day, a man walked through the quiet park, neighbouring the office he worked for many years. The ground was littered with golden leaves. The trees shimmered with the sun's brilliant light. The very air tasted pure and even the sounds rang with a peaceful note. Birds sang their morning songs, squirrels ran from branch to branch and a scared rabbit sprinted for the safety of his hole. The man observed all this beauty without ever truly noticing its presence.

 

In a small ring of open ground stood a single wooden bench, weathered down by the years of exposure to the elements of nature. The once smooth wood splintered and assaulted by wind, rain and stone. The elegantly curved form hidden by the stained marks from animals who had condemned the bench as toilet.

 

The man took a seat and stared at the world before him. His lined face showed a life of hardships and struggle. He rested a hand on the wood beside him and brushed away the rotten leaves and twigs. From beneath his bony fingers an odd symbol appeared on the wood. A date, carved into the wood with jagged lines: 05.04.1968.

 

He traced the numbers up and down the irregular handwork, as if reading the meaning by touch instead of by sight. A large hot tear fell down and shattered in a million sparkling crystals. The sharp edges of the carving prickled his sensitive skin. His hands trembled lightly as another tear splashed upon the wood and drowned the message in an ocean of mourning.

 

From his pockets an old Swiss army knife appeared. He opened the rusted metal blade and traced its point along the date. He exerted more pressure on the knife and cut a new set of numbers below the one already present. Slowly, the man progressed his work and carved a fresh date. Once finished, he closed the knife and locked it away in his deep pocket.

 

She had loved to sit here, admiring the grace of nature's charm. He had sat with her quietly, listening to her voice and simply enjoy her company. His eyes could not see that beauty, but the old man had learned himself to see by other ways.

 

The man closed his eyes and watched the world once more. One hand rested on the carved wood.

05.04.1968
05.04.2013

© 2013 Fictionborn


Author's Note

Fictionborn
Written for "Helena's Blue Rose Cafe ~ "Just for the Teenagers!" Short Stories" Contest. Day Nine - entry number. Thank you for reading.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a very well told story and the suspense and interest is kept through the whole piece. Keep it up. Beautiful story.


Posted 10 Years Ago


Fictionborn

10 Years Ago

Thank you! I certainly will keep writing!
This is outrageously good Fictionborn...your words flow across the screen effortlessly and precise. Your use of imagery is vivid and descriptive. I felt as if I was sitting on that bench...I know the feeling...just not quite sure how you do. Masterfully done. It left me feeling nostalgic and warm.
Pure and simple, Fb....beautiful.
gots my vote...
allen

Posted 10 Years Ago


Fictionborn

10 Years Ago

I'm flattered by your compliments, such comments always put a big smile on my face. My gratitude!
Quite impressive. In a moment you capture a lifetime. I found this an enjoyable read, and it serves its purpose very well.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Fictionborn

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words!
400 words showing an understanding of aging and grief. An opening that catches, a clean flow of thought from beginning to an ending with a mystery solved. Very sweeet and a good presentation for the contest.
Peace.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Fictionborn

10 Years Ago

I'm honored by your praises. I'm glad you liked it.
Quite lovely. I'll vote for you.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Fictionborn

10 Years Ago

I'm happy as long as the reader enjoyed the work, but thank you for the vote!
A very sad, but beautifully written story. It kept me enthralled from beginning to the g tragic end.

Well penned and presented! Thank you for submitting this wonderful piece to my contest.

Helena :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Fictionborn

10 Years Ago

I'm pleased to hear the story interested you all the way to the end.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
TLK
The first line is hard to read -- I feel that more punctuation is necessary.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Fictionborn

10 Years Ago

I have edited the story since last you read it. Hopefully, the punctuation is better now.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

416 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 4, 2013
Last Updated on May 5, 2013

Author

Fictionborn
Fictionborn

About
I love fantasy.I love nonsense. I love the impossible. Whatever doesn't really happen in life is what I'm interested in. As a way of learning what does happen in life, because ultimately the only thin.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Newtown Newtown

A Story by Emma Keynes