Prologue

Prologue

A Chapter by Satchmo's Gal

On this planet we call earth, in this place we call society, and in that comforting thing we call home, there are many different ways to wake you up in the morning. You could have the traditional rooster crow, an alarm clock, or have a loved one gently shake you into consciousness. Or you could have a bucket of ice cold water dumped on your head by your cousin. I just had to have the latter. Lucky me. Little Clarie giggled as I sat up in bed, drops of water dripping down my face like cold sweat. “Wake up Rrrrrochelle” she giggles, rolling her r’s as if she were Spanish.

            I gritted my teeth as I looked at the clock. 4:30. My little cousin had waken me up 2 whole hours before needed. I really need a lock for my door. “Clarisse.” I said, making sure to use her full name so she’d know I was serious, “Why did you wake me up?”

            Claire’s smile faded, and her brow furrow “I woke you up. Didn’t I do good?” Her words were slurred the slightest bit, her French accent still noticeable. I closed my eyes and inhaled deeply urging myself to count to ten. 1…2…3…4…

            “No Claire. You did just the opposite. You don’t someone up by potentially drowning them or waking them two hour early.” Her lips started to tremble, and an expression of holding back tears formed on her face. She flung herself at me, clinging to my damp waist.

            “I’m sorry.” She whimpered.

 I sighed “It’s okay Clarie. Are you hungry?” She withdrew, her eyes bright as she eagerly nodded her head. I had to laugh at her visage, “Alright then. I’ll make-” I yawned, Clarie following suit, “Breakfast.” As I half-walked, half-stumbled down the stairs, Claire tugged on my sleeve.

“Rochelle?” She whispered.

“Yeah?”

“Is it true you like girls?”

I stopped, taking in a deep breath. “Who told you that, Clarie?”

She looked down, almost shamefully, “The kids at school. They laugh at my voice and call me French bread. But this boy said he saw you kissing a girl over by the park. When I told them you had a boyfriend, they said I was lying and called you a lezian.” She looked up at me, waiting for an answer.

I licked my lips, which were dry all of the sudden. Paranoia washed over me like a tidal wave. If this boy saw us, whose to say somebody else didn’t? What if they were planning on hanging it over our heads? Or would it be all over the school today? And most importantly: What was I supposed to tell her? That her friends were right? That the boyfriend I’ve been telling her about was a girl? I bent down to her, looking directly into her eyes. “I’m actually called a ‘lesbian’ Clarie.”

  She tilted her head to the side, almost doglike. “What’s a lebian Rochelle?”

“You know the way a boy likes a girl? Well I like girls that way.”

“Why?”

I thought for a moment, trying to come up with an answer that would explain all her questions; Instead I came up with: “I was just born that way I guess. I don’t know Clarie, I just do.”

She seemed almost satisfied, then her eyes widened, and I could tell she had another question. “If you’re a lezbian, am I going to be a lezbian?”

I laughed “It doesn’t work that way Clarie; You may be but you may not. You’ll figure it out.”

She smiled, both corners of her mouth going up to meet her eyes, then proceeded to tell me about a boy who chased her around the playground at school. I smiled, adding some milk into the pancake mix, nodding whenever needed and only half listening. It felt good to come out to Clarie. I looked out the window and watched the small sliver of sun on the horizon swell, the time passing by with a quiet swiftness only nature could obtain. Just as I flipped the last pancake onto the plate in front of me, Clarie applauding wildly like my biggest fangirl, my mom walked into the room, looking gloriously beautiful even in her colorful silk robe. “Good morning Clarisse” Her pomp voice sliced through the warm homey atmosphere, the room suddenly growing cold “Are you enjoying your stay?”

Clarie nodded, her curls bouncing “Yes Aunt Frances. And I love school very much. I’ve learned a lot.”

My mom continued to focus her energy on Clarie, reaching over to stroke her hair, her claws digging into the poor girls scalp (yes, she has claws. Not. Exaggerating.) “What have you learned sweetheart?”

Clarie grinned her sweet little smile again, her eyes flashing over to mine with pride and admiration “That I want to be just like Rochelle.” My mom smiled as she reached for a mug, filling it with coffee and taking a sip “I want to flip pancakes, write poems, play trumpet, sing, draw, and have a girlfriend!” She gagged, spraying coffee everywhere. The pan on the stove sizzled, and I spun around to turn it off.

I guess coming out was easier than I contemplated it to be.           

 

 



© 2009 Satchmo's Gal


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

lol I love it....gotta read the rest....this seems rather interesting already :D!!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Well, Rochelle is Blonde with Brown eyes and a pale complexion. She is sort of shy and cannot stand having her hair down. The funny thing is I've actually created her when I was seven and picked up the story years later and decided to edit. I've been writing Peace, Love, and All that Jazz ever since.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I love the start. Gotta dash just now but will be back to read the other chapters when I can. I thought you dealt very well with the conversation about lezian and exceptionally well with the kitchen scene :)

Posted 14 Years Ago


I loved how you worded the child speak. I could visualize her speaking and I thought of her as being so cute. I loved the way this was realistic. I felt that you describe things very well and I totally enjoyed this. I want to know more about this character and her life.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Well, I reread it again and I still love it! Clarie is so innocent and sweet! Terrific ending to this little tidbit!
Please do keep going...

Posted 14 Years Ago


Hmmm. Just a few grammar/spelling mistakes. I have no suggestions from improvement, it was pretty darn near perfect. The ending was funny :) so overall great job, on to the next part...

Posted 14 Years Ago


Fantastic beginning. I always love beginnings that give the reader's the idea that the main character is profound and thoughtful. I think there may be a few grammar mistakes in the beginning, but it's no biggie.
The end to your prologue was particularly good, as it really left me wanting to read more of your story.
To be honest, your title attracted me. "Peace, Love, and all that Jazz." I just love your title.
Well written, interesting, and keep it up!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is very good writing. I like the 'voice' you used, because it tends to be one of my favorite writing styles. The kind of blunt, funny narrative really keeps the reader entertained. Your writing, also, went well with the narrative; it matched perfectly.

The story sparks an interest in me. I'm not sure where it's headed, but it seems really good so far. I have some questions, like why Rochelle's cousin is there, and who knows about her being a lesbian. If her mom didn't know, what will happen now that she does? And how many people do know? Is she open about it?

This Prologue raises important questions that keep the reader wanting more. I really like the story so far, it's great.


Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

394 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 13, 2009
Last Updated on August 9, 2009


Author

Satchmo's Gal
Satchmo's Gal

In the depths of my mind, only coming out to check the local news



About
Nothing is definite, not you, not I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTJSGIe5dpc more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Part 3 Part 3

A Chapter by A LaDy NaMeD D