Under The Influence

Under The Influence

A Story by Haleemaaisha
"

Something that just came to mind...

"

My head bobbed to the beat a nice rhythm. My headphones were blaring the tunes from some new artist whose name I couldn’t remember. All I know is that it sounded good and just the perfect high tone to; hopefully, blow away the thoughts of my problems. But that’s just the thing it failed to do so. I was on my way home and my mind kept drifting to that expensive eye exam I just returned from. What an unexpected chunk outta my wallet. I went there with coupons for my new glasses thinking that would make purchasing it easier for me but it didn't. The clerk came outta the woodwork with more fees. The worst part was the hungry look on the clerk's face and the itch in her hand that was always relieved by the coolness of my credit card each time she took it. First $140.00 for the frames, then $189.00 for the lenses, and finally $59.00 for the eye exam-in that order.

 

She couldn't even wait for me to see the doctor first to get a prescription! "Would you like to choose a pair?" She said pointing to the display. I glanced around unfazed at the array of dazzling name brand frames. They were arranged ever so neatly. Armani, Gucci, Prada, Georgiou, and the whole nine. But my eyes were glued to the prices. The cheaper the better that’s all that mattered to me.

 

A bright light distracted me from my reverie. An unmarked cargo van slowly made its way along the dark street next to me. I yanked my headphones off suddenly alert. Why is this van slowing down? I thought to myself. My heartbeat quickened I don’t know if it was from fear or the fast pace I was walking-maybe both. All of a sudden I was a kid again listening wide-eyed to one of my father's grave warnings. “You see these fast girls out here? Who wear indecent clothing and stroll down the streets alone? Don’t follow their example. Weak minded men prey on that."

 

My father was and still is extremely over protective. I couldn't go anywhere when I lived with him. He tried to fill my head with all these tales of young girls who were kidnapped and murdered to keep me from going out into the world. I wasn't even allowed to go to the library, which was right around the corner from my home, without "the protection of my father or brother." I didn't care I went anyway. I've always been an avid reader and I wasn't about to let anyone stop me from seeking knowledge. Yeah my daddy would be waiting for me at home to beat the living life outta me. But he never took my books away. I guess he secretly admired me for loving to read.

 

So after a good whupping he'd sternly explain to me that I could easily get snatched up. "You hear the stories on the news of a cargo van pulling up to some innocent little girl walking along. Five guys jump out, grab her, and take her up to the mountains to rape and cut her throat." Of course now anyone including myself would think this an extreme exaggeration. However at the time I was always terrified when I heard this. The thought of this happening to someone, especially me, shook me to the core, but not enough to stop me. How was I to survive if I was always full of fear and anxiety of someone coming to attack me? Years later I tried to explain this to him but of course it fell on death ears.

 

I’m on my own now- no male protection. No one has ever tried to attack me either. I’m not saying that I’m invincible and these things don’t happen, but why miss out on life because of the fear that it might? As for that cargo van...well it continued down the road of course. ; )

 

© 2008 Haleemaaisha


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was an interesting piece. I liked reading it--it made me smile, in a way. My parents aren't quite so overprotective as all that, but they do have some rules that I found unreasonable. If people live in fear of what might happen, they might as well never leave the house. Pretty much everything can be dangerous if you look at it right. And the risks are, I think, worth taking...even the really horrible ones.

Good work.

Posted 15 Years Ago


It's a kowel way of convincing people that they are better off free and at risk, than safe and longing for their unfulfilled dreams forever.

The fact that some people never give up their ideas, is also greatly expressed :).

Good write .

A.M.


Posted 15 Years Ago


HI, first let me thank you for sharing this piece with us all. I must let you know when I review I do not give you a large list of things to correct if need be, I find at times that can be overbearing and discouraging. Instead I choose to point out one problem I had with the read and leave it up to you to do as you will. So without further guilding the lilly, The first and most apparent thing I noticed in the read was something I myself do often, Telling as opposed to showing. The vast majority of this 'Story' felt like a report you might give upon returning to school after break. You gave me all the details in well spoken form but you didnt let me picture anything for myself. As a reader, you, I, anyone, wants to be able to close our eyes and see the picture the writter has placed before us. At points you do this and at others you don't. I do this often in my work as well. I would like to see more to this. I enjoyed the red but as I said I just couldn't picture it all. Thanks again for sharing and I hope my words offer a view you may not have looked at.

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

283 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 28, 2008

Author

Haleemaaisha
Haleemaaisha

New York City, New Jersey, Connecticut, Durham, NC



About
Ill get to this part a lil later. Anna Molly (Acoustic), - Incubus (Acoustic) more..

Writing
Circles Circles

A Poem by Haleemaaisha


Aisle 20 Aisle 20

A Story by Haleemaaisha



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mais... Mais...

A Poem by Emily Rose