Consumed

Consumed

A Story by Haley Wilson
"

A story about a troubled man and his eternal love for his Mother.

"
He opened his eyes slowly, only to have them burn at the sight of the blazing sunset. The past 12 hours have been almost surreal... Like they didn't even happen. From waking up at 9 in the morning, to sitting here now at 8:56 PM. "Blake, you HAVE to be here today. We're still trying to renovate and fix up the house, and I can't do it all by myself!" his mother had told him after he finished eating his waffles. Unfortunately for her, he couldn't stay. No matter how heartbroken his poor mother would be, he had to carry out his plans. This was the only thing that could make him feel better. The only possible thing in life worth melting for. 

He had met her at his summer job at the zoo. Its official name was Safari Niagara ("One of Niagara Falls' best attractions!"). All day long, he had to stand in a sweaty, cramped booth and take the customers' tickets or check and confirm their season passes. The job was quite dull, and had less-than-average pay. However, that one day in July made the sweat and consistent boredom well worth it. She had come to his window and given him her ticket, then proceeded to wait by the side of the booth for 30 minutes. After battling his frustrating shyness, Blake mustered up the courage to speak to her. "Do you need help with something, Miss?" The girl turned toward him, her blonde hair glistening like a gold waterfall in the sun. "Oh, no thanks! I'm fine, I'm just waiting for my date to get here." She spoke in a soft, airy voice. Blake nodded and went back to work. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see the girl becoming more nervous and embarrassed by the second. 2 hours and 25 customers later, she started sobbing. Blake stared at her for a moment, sympathy in his eyes and lust in his heart. He decided to introduce himself formally and take the rest of the day off of work. While out for dinner, they had many laughs and got closer to one another. Her name was Lucy Banks, and she was 17 years old. A senior in high school, she planned to graduate with honors and go to university to pursue her dream of being a lawyer. Blake had been intrigued with every word that came out of her pretty little mouth. Her laugh was so harmonious, and those sparkling brown eyes were as dark as the night sky. From that point on, he was hooked.

On the way to her house that morning, Blake carefully analyzed his mother's warnings and complaints about Lucy. He fiddled with the buttons on his flannel, annoyed. He hated when she ranted about his girlfriend, but also found himself fascinated by her thoughts. They had argued about this numerous times, even though the outcome was always the same. "Oh, Blake! This is utterly ludicrous! You are a 22-year old adult, and she is freaking 17! This whole thing is illegal, and you need to stop seeing her. That is, if you don't want to be living in an orange jumpsuit for the rest of your life!" His mother then sighed wearily, removing her hands from her hips. Blake would start shaking, his words coming out in a stutter. "I love her, and it is not wrong! She'll be 18 in 5 months, mother. You think this is crazy?! Look at yourself! You lash out and do things that make no sense! You married a guy who used you and only kissed you with his fists! Then you killed him in his damn sleep! NOW LOOK WHO'S CRAZY!" And the tears flooded down his pale cheeks. His mom would stare blankly into space. As she retreated back to her room, she would mutter to herself: "I, Blanche Mateson, did not raise you this way." The sharp sound of sirens wailing snapped Blake out of his thoughts. He looked up to see an ambulance and two police cars roaring past, as if in a frantic hurry to save a life. Not thinking much of it, he turned the corner to Lucy's house.

"I'm so happy you're here, you have no idea!" Lucy grinned and hugged him for the third time. Blake smirked and pushed his wavy brown hair back. "Same. I'm glad we have the house to ourselves. Was your father being a jerk at all?" Blake asked shyly. Lucy flinched slightly and sat down on her bed with him. "Sort of... I accidentally spilled some juice on the couch last night and he freaked." She rubbed her arm where the purple bruise was. She sighed, her eyes glassy. "I just wish we could run away together. You're the only thing that makes me truly happy," she mumbled. Blake looked at his girlfriend thoughtfully. She was so strong, yet so fragile at the same time. Lucy's smile was contagious and showed happiness, but her eyes told a sad, somber story. That's when it struck him. He was in love with this girl. And she reciprocated the feeling. He had seen her at her best, worst, stripped down to nothing, and fully covered. Blake moved closer and kissed her. Softly at first, then more passionately. When they finally broke apart, she was staring at him, tears falling down her face and onto the bed. "Promise to never hurt me. Please? I can't take any more pain and misery." Lucy's voice squeaked. Blake moved a stray hair from her face. "Of course, dear. I promise to never hurt you."

Around 6, Blake awoke from his slumber. He sat up and stretched, taking in his surroundings. Lucy silently slept next to him. The sunlight shone through her open window. He got up slowly and went to the empty hallway. He felt dizzy, and like his senses were much more sharper than usual. A foreboding feeling swept over him. "Blake," a familiar voice called. He whirled around and gasped. There, on the top step of the stairway stood his mother. She had a short pink dress on with a thin white cardigan and beige sandals. The same outfit she'd worn during their argument this morning. "Yes, mother?" he asked, squinting. She seemed almost see-through, as if this was a dream of some sort. "Can you believe that tramp?" She motioned to Lucy's bedroom. "She's making you sympathize for her. All of those sobfests and 'Please stay!'s are her way of manipulation. Can't you see it, honey? She's just using you!" his mom cried. Blake looked at her accusingly. "That's not true. Lucy is a nice girl. She needs love in her life after going through so much turmoil and self-loathing; I have to protect her!" His mother laughed cruelly. "Seriously, I don't know why I keep repeating myself. It's like beating a dead horse, a totally useless feat. Listen, dear. She is a manipulator. She will always take you for granted." Blake's features were now set in a grimace. At first he saw the empty air on the top step. He shut his eyes tight and opened them. His mother was back. "You know what you have to do," she said mysteriously. With that smirk and menacing eyes, Blake clenched his fists and headed back to Lucy's room.

When he came back home, his mother was preparing dinner in the kitchen. "Mom... It's done. I took care of it all. Of her." She looked up at him, confused. "Blake, what are you saying? I didn't ask you to do anyth-oh dear.." she hesitated. "You're not...seeing things again. Are you?" Her voice came out tiny and soft. Blake smirked, his eyes wide. "I don't see things. That isn't true." Sighing, his mother set the spatula down and walked over to him. "It is, honey. Ever since you were little, and-" "STOP!" Blake interrupted. Anger flooded over him. He bolted upstairs, knocking over and breaking the hall lamp in the process. When he got to his room, he shoved his window open and climbed onto the slanted roof beneath it. After he was done crying and insulting himself, the sun started to set. 

And now, here he was. Still up on the roof, ignoring the awful earth below him. His eyes still burned, glued to the red-orange sun and sky surrounding it. It was a hypnotizing scene, only it didn't promise a bright tomorrow. It only would bring black darkness for him. Blake felt like he could no longer blink or shut his eyes. Usually, the air would feel cooler by now, but his body felt incredibly warm. Too warm. Before he could notice it, his eyes watered. Not like he was about to burst out crying again, but because of that scorching burn. It was a malevolent feeling. At last, the flames began. Every vein in his body crackled and melted at the touch of them. Every single bone and organ sizzled, charring slowly. "I'm dying," he croaked in a moment of realization. A million memories and faces floated through his mind. Lucy. The zoo animals. Seeing the huge waterfall in town for the very first time. His mother. Her slim, porcelain, perfect figure. It was true, after all. He'd loved her the most all along. That's why he did that horrible thing to Lucy. He had to get rid of anyone who dared to interrupt their personal lives. Suddenly, a piercing scream cut through the air. He focused his attention down below. His mother was sobbing hysterically, crouched in the prayer position. Blake tried to speak, but his vocal chords were much too charred. He managed to stand. The emerald green color that his eyes once were had turned into a burnt dark red. Every other part of him was turning to ashes. With all the strength he had left, he jumped. His mother watched him, curious and horrified. All she could see was black ash. It fell from the sky like dark raindrops. Now whenever she witnessed a storm, this image would enter her mind. How her own son, a slave to his inner demons, had been set on fire internally. So easily consumed by the treacherous flames. Yet the worst part of it all was that she now had no one to blame, except for herself.

© 2015 Haley Wilson


Author's Note

Haley Wilson
A short story I wrote for school last year. Quite lengthy but I think I did good haha! If you watch Bates Motel or have seen Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho, then you'll realize it is quite heavily based on Norman and his psyche. It's actually the inspiration behind the story haha. Please let me know if you loved it, what your favorite part was, etc.! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Look at yourself! You lash out and do things that make no sense! You married a guy who used you and only kissed you with his fists! Then you killed him in his damn sleep! NOW LOOK WHO'S CRAZY!" And the tears flooded down his pale cheeks. His mom would stare blankly into space. As she retreated back to her room, she would mutter to herself: "I, Blanche Mateson, did not raise you this way.""

This is an awesome story... I really enjoyed those lines as it described it beautifully. Good work my friend!


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Haley Wilson

8 Years Ago

That was probably one of my favorite parts myself honestly. So glad you enjoyed it!



Reviews

what an awesome, original topic. original even considering the heavy influence from Psycho, which is saying something. I especially love the fire / burning / melting theme that runs throughout. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Haley Wilson

8 Years Ago

Thanks! :D I had thoughts about sending it to the Bates Motel people but am not so sure.
This is amazing. You do a really good job of showing his insanity and making it seem real. Nice work!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Haley Wilson

8 Years Ago

Thank you so much!!
Haha I definitely noticed the Norman Bates influence, for he's one of my favorite fictional characters (have you read the book?) ..... This was very well written and the ending was a fantastic conclusion. It was pretty long haha but the ending was awesome. It was charged by raw emotion and realism and still maintained a pretty weird vibe hah. This was some great stuff, miss (:


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Haley Wilson

8 Years Ago

I have not read the Psycho books! If anything this was more inspired by the contemporary show Bates .. read more
Chadvonswan

8 Years Ago

No problem(:
oh yeah the show with charlie and the chocolate factory kid
"Look at yourself! You lash out and do things that make no sense! You married a guy who used you and only kissed you with his fists! Then you killed him in his damn sleep! NOW LOOK WHO'S CRAZY!" And the tears flooded down his pale cheeks. His mom would stare blankly into space. As she retreated back to her room, she would mutter to herself: "I, Blanche Mateson, did not raise you this way.""

This is an awesome story... I really enjoyed those lines as it described it beautifully. Good work my friend!


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Haley Wilson

8 Years Ago

That was probably one of my favorite parts myself honestly. So glad you enjoyed it!
Wow! Great piece of work, that really gets the reader involved and
is very creative and well thought out and delivered, Thanks for sharing
and b-blessed!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Haley Wilson

8 Years Ago

Ah thank you! I was really hoping it would draw people in and make them feel something.
Jamestown

8 Years Ago

Keep up the great work!
you did a great job,a great poem

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Haley Wilson

8 Years Ago

Thanks so much! :)
 wordman

8 Years Ago

you are welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

598 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 20, 2015
Last Updated on April 20, 2015
Tags: Short story, flames, fire, love, abuse, sex, psycho, beauty, thriller, action, suspense

Author

Haley Wilson
Haley Wilson

Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada



About
The name's Haley. I'm 20, graduated from high school, and have a strong passion for writing. What I write aren't exactly poems or stories, but musings about my own life and thoughts on different subje.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..