Would you like it if . . .

Would you like it if . . .

A Story by Michael C.S. Clifford
"

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to be an animal in a zoo? Read this story and, whatever faith you believe in, pray that it can only be fiction.

"

WOULD YOU LIKE IT IF . . . ?

 

Would you like it to be an animal in a zoo?

 

Would you like it if rotten food was thrown at you the whole time?

 

Would you like it if scientists touched you, cut you, just because they are curious?

 

Would you like it to feel that you have been deprived of your freedom, taken away from your family, just because you were in the wrong place at the wrong time and were snatched away?

 

Would you like it to be in a cage the whole time, which is supposed to be like your home but which isn't?

 

Would you like it to have strange creatures watching you the whole time, pointing at you, laughing at you, wondering about you?

 

Would you like it if there was a sign in front of your cage on which was written: 'Specimen of human being, found on planet Earth'.

 

Michael Clifford

 

www.ten-minute-stories.com

© 2011 Michael C.S. Clifford


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I appreciate the sentiments and reasoning for this work. Although intitially it appeared that this might be quite regular in the thought process it followed but much to my joy it had a good, good twist at the end and to answer your question ' I most definitely would not!)
This reminded me of a piece I read a long time ago called (the last blade of grass) and I think the last of anything is sadly inconceivable unless it was a fly. Thank you for getting my grey matter working scallywagg

Posted 12 Years Ago


I would never like it! :( how cruel are we... humans. so insensitive to what those animals feel. I find myself guilty :(

Posted 13 Years Ago


I see no contradiction to my statement. As you say living death.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

But would it really be the worst if the human described in my story was "The last of its kind"? There are countless stories from around the world of people who have disappeared without trace. in some cases, especially in isolated parts of South America, they were APPARENTLY last seen being carried off by strange creatures. Whether we believe these or not is another matter, but only one of these reports needs to be true . . .
Just imagine separated from your family like that, and they're wondering where you are, going out of their mind. You know you have no chance of seeing them again. For me, that would be a living death.

But of course I'm just speculating here . . .


Posted 13 Years Ago


We should consider this posibility. It would be worse with the description
"The last of its kind"

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

441 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 13, 2011
Last Updated on February 13, 2011
Tags: Zoon, cage, horror, nightmare

Author

Michael C.S. Clifford
Michael C.S. Clifford

London, Hampstead, United Kingdom



About
Who am I, and why does the world think I've got anything interesting to say? Well, I am a graduate in Psychology, History and Law, and have been working for 20-odd years as a teacher and psychological.. more..

Writing