A Letter from Your Whisky

A Letter from Your Whisky

A Story by Hannah Paige

A Letter from Your Whisky

Dear Darling, my nightmare, this midnight is our last.  This drag will stop short and my cigarette will fall to ashes at your feet.  We have no more time, my pumpkin carriage awaits.

Your lips were sweet while they lingered, but my salty tears have tainted your kiss.  I wish your breaths could have been kinder, and mine less forgiving.  This is the end, I fear, and I wish I could say that I am sorry for that.  I wish your fingers weren’t so cold, or your smile so endearing.  Yes, Love, this is the end.

Don’t look at me like that, like you won’t return to Satan when I’m gone.  I hear your soundtrack behind each of your heartbeats, disturbed and sinful.  You think you can sleep me off Darling, but I know you too well.  When you wake up tomorrow, look in the mirror with your bleeding eyes, and lick your salty-sweet lips, you will think of me and how warm my bare back was on your shaking fingers.  I know how your desire will taste and how your shivers will make you numb, but this time I will not save you.  We will not stand here again, waiting in this nightmare.

Midnight strokes you with a quivering palm, until the moon tells her to stop, you don’t deserve the comfort.  Don’t look at me like that, it’s rude to stare.  Just close your eyes Sweetheart, it will all be over soon.  Feel that bass line? Hear the cymbals whisper?  “One, two, three, one, two, three…”  They count for you.  “One, two, three stars squinting in your direction.”  “One, two, three clouds growing darker in the distance, over the ocean.”   “One, two, three cigarettes left in your pocket.”  “One, two, three empty bottles collapsed near your feet.” “One, two, three wishes, kisses, misses.”  “One, two, three shivers.”  “One, two, three �"” no two, two “I love you”s, yours and then mine.  And that makes two lies, two reasons, and one end.

It’s past midnight now, and I can taste the smoke on your tongue, no longer sweet, no longer whispering thankless desperation.  This is how Satan tastes, I think, like summer gone bad.  There’s nothing left to count but the minutes, my love, ticking faster, the bass growing stronger; we’re running late.

Empathy runs low on this sick finale.  You seem smaller every time I look at you, but the shallow glaze in your eyes devours the last of my warmth.  Your touch stings, and it’s just as well, I won’t be feeling you for long.

Don’t give me that look, not now.  I want to remember you as you were, that nightmare twisting in my stomach.  At least then, I wanted you, Love, at least then I couldn’t taste the salt in your ocean eyes.

Dear darling, I will miss you, as this last sip turns your fingers to ashes and your lips to stone.  This midnight is our last and I wish I could say I am sorry, but Darling, all I can say is goodbye.

 

-Regretfully Yours

© 2011 Hannah Paige


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

i too am a smoker and a boozer. but you have moree vivid and stronger awareness in doing to write this incredible masterpiece! haha this is so inspired although by whisky and smoke, nevertheless it's an art to marvel on. :)

wow. how you used the words, they're very genius. :) you inspire me.

and thanks for the add, haha i didn't know we weren't connected yet.



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Who betrayed you? Jim, Jack, Johnny? I hear Turkeys tend to go Wild on occasion.

Brilliant write. I want some Velvet and sour right now.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It had a very Tim & Eric feel to it, but the repeats of "Satan" was a little bit religious (I hate religious references), so I'll dock you 5 points for that. But besides that, this rocked my socks and lemon skins. I applaud to, sir.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Cigarettes and whiskey !! I thought I was the only one with smokes and drinks in his poems !! I'm smoking the second cigarette while writing this review, and I wish for some whiskey with that !! this piece I can relate to, sounds like what my EX would feel like to be honest ! The "two lies" part blew my mind, the whole thing is just amazing ... keep it up.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

awesome!

Posted 12 Years Ago


i too am a smoker and a boozer. but you have moree vivid and stronger awareness in doing to write this incredible masterpiece! haha this is so inspired although by whisky and smoke, nevertheless it's an art to marvel on. :)

wow. how you used the words, they're very genius. :) you inspire me.

and thanks for the add, haha i didn't know we weren't connected yet.



Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A most tragic tale of that has been parted from lips far and near, you chance the wording and the chance paid off, a most spectaculare piece, well done, great read.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 31, 2011
Last Updated on August 31, 2011

Author

Hannah Paige
Hannah Paige

PA



About
I'm in film school at NYU. I like to write and make movies. I took some good music and put it here: http://8tracks.com/hannah-paige more..

Writing
Oregon Oregon

A Poem by Hannah Paige


Leo Stansky Leo Stansky

A Chapter by Hannah Paige



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Closing In Closing In

A Poem by Aleyah