Little Mud You

Little Mud You

A Story by Hannah Paige
"

My take on God, i suppose.

"

He made you from dirt.  He stuck his big hand in the mud and he pulled you out, shaped you, and put you down.  And there you were, his little toy, made from dirt, molded from his hands.  And he named you, and played with you.  He walked you around, gave you little dirt-people food, played school, told you stories.  As he got older, so did you.  He added more mud, and built you up, made you bigger, stronger.  And as you got older together, he trusted you more.  He brought you more places, helped you do more things.  Eventually he made more mud people for you, family, friends; he made a little world for you.  He grew up, got older, met more people, and so did you.  He made you a little mud lady that fit perfectly in your little mud arms.  He made you walk around with her, talk to her.  Where he used to take you places, he now took both you and her.  And one night when it was dark, he outlined your little mud lips with a toothpick, to make sure they were perfect, and then he put your little mud face to her mud face, and your mud arms around her mud arms, because they did fit so well.  And he pushed your little mud bodies together until they were just one mud body.  For just that night, you were just one. 

And as the two of you got older, little mud you, and big him, he made you a little mud wedding, and then littler mud babies, and a little mud house.  And as the two of you got older together, he trusted you more, even more, and he needed you as much as you needed him.  He whispered to you, late at night, and he whispered you his secrets, things he had never told anyone, things he could never tell anyone else.  But he could tell you, because you were of him, made in his image, made for him.  And you were loyal to him, how could you not be? You never told anyone his secrets, you only listened, patiently, tentatively; and then you went home to your little mud family, and you thought of him and his big secrets, his big problems. 

You sat outside your little mud house, and looked at the big, big sky, and you did not know what you were doing, or why he had put you where he had put you, or why had made little mud you at all.  You thought of big, smart him, who had all those plans and all those problems, and you looked into that big, huge sky, and you hoped, you begged, that he had all of the answers too.  You remembered when you were younger, the two of you together, and you remembered when he would play games and take you places; back when he never had any secrets, nothing that he couldn’t tell anyone else.  You remembered how simple things used to be and you remembered how much less big he used to be, and you hoped, prayed, that he really did have a plan.  You looked into the sky and you had to wonder, had to believe, that he knew what he was doing.  Because he was him, big, big him, and you were just little mud you. 

© 2012 Hannah Paige


Author's Note

Hannah Paige
I guess this is a metaphor for God, and faith, and what have you. I feel it is important to note that i do not believe in God, and this piece is written as an exploration of the concept of faith, rather than about my own faith.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Not bad, I like the metaphor. You latched onto the Genesis idea of man from dust and used it rather effectively. A mature piece about faith from somebody so young. I appreciate such maturity in a day and age where those under legal age are considered immature and thoughtless. Nice work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Not a bad metaphor, it has a lot of feeling in this story. The details are good and the flow is amazing. It carried me away. There was no grammar error although I wasn't really looking for them. Once again this is a lovely piece of writing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Not bad, I like the metaphor. You latched onto the Genesis idea of man from dust and used it rather effectively. A mature piece about faith from somebody so young. I appreciate such maturity in a day and age where those under legal age are considered immature and thoughtless. Nice work.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I can see what you did here, visions are what inspire writing. I think youve got more than enough vision. I say cast it out and splay it more in your writings like this.

Posted 12 Years Ago


This doesn't seem to be about faith in any way....seems more relationship based

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like your little mud people story! An interesting take on creation.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ash to ash and dust to dust, representing in its expression a view of life's condition. A nice write!

Posted 12 Years Ago


i think you encompasses the whole essence of living in this little story!
an inspirational and unique piece!! :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

354 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 5, 2011
Last Updated on June 3, 2012

Author

Hannah Paige
Hannah Paige

PA



About
I'm in film school at NYU. I like to write and make movies. I took some good music and put it here: http://8tracks.com/hannah-paige more..

Writing
Oregon Oregon

A Poem by Hannah Paige


Leo Stansky Leo Stansky

A Chapter by Hannah Paige



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..