Annie

Annie

A Story by Samantha Taylor
"

Annie is a young 16 year old girl with a sister 5 years old. After their mother passes their life completely changes forever.

"
Annie  April 22 -

    She looked up at me with big blue eyes that made my heart melt. “So you’ll be there Thursday? To see my recital?” A smile crept up on her face. “I wouldn’t miss it for the world” and my stomach dropped.. I forgot I won’t be here.. I can’t stay here.. Not for another week… I had it all planned out, how it would all work.. and now she’s counting on me.. maybe it was a sign. Or maybe I was about to break a little girls heart.
Dancing ahead of me she twirled around and I pictured a tutu surrounding her hips, and her hair pulled back in a tight bun. Glancing behind me I see the hell hole I spend 9 hours a day at; the names, and taunts they yell and mumble rolling around in my head.. I can handle those most the time, but it’s the rumors that kill me.. Steven Giles.. Steven.. the reason this all started.. I rehearse what my letter will say.. maybe I should write one specifically to him.. about how he destroyed my life.. how he destroyed me. To think I could ever like a boy like that.. I shake my head and I realize Abby is looking at me. Her eye brows pushed together in a confused look. “Annie? What does that say ” she points to our front door where a red letter is tapped on. In big bold letters at the top its states “EVICTION NOTCE”. My heart drops. no.. no.. Not now. Why now? I push my key into the lock and open the door
“mom??” Looking around frantically, Abby on my heels
 “mom!?” Panic rising, Did she leave us?
“Annie? Where’s mom?” Her eyes swell.
“Uh, she’s probably at the store, go on up to your room for a minute” I try to hide the quiver in my voice as fear strikes my heart.
I race around our house, living room, kitchen, master bedroom. My eyes glancing all around. The bed, the floor, the open closet door. My eyes finally land on the bathroom door. It’s open just a crack and I can see the light on..
“mom..” each step is another second of panic in my chest as I creep closer.
“Mom….” My voice nearly a whisper now. Placing my hand on the white wood, my whole body jolts
“Annie?” Abby is right behind me, tears already flowing down her flushed cheeks. Small strands of blonde hair surrounding her face. I spin around placing both hands on her shoulders,
“Go wait in the living room Abby…” I try to smile, like everything is okay but my mind can only see what the disaster I’m about to open the door too. Head down she drags her feet out the bed room. And I return facing the bathroom door. Hand placed back on the cold wood.
“Ma…” it creaks as I slowly put pressure on it, gliding across the hard tile. I blink, and hold my eyes closed until the door hits the wall indicating it’s open.. as if I was watching a horror movie I open my eyes only a sliver to see through. I can see the sink, and the toilet. The floor in front of the tub is wet, the water in the tub at the brim, and then an arm dangles over the edge. Eyes widen, and there’s hair floating at the surface of the water. I scream. Only to realize Abby will be running in here too see why, I kick the door closed and lock it. Small bangs begin as she has reached the door but it fades out. My body is on auto pilot. I’m rushing over to mom, arms elbow deep into the water, knees soaked on the floor as the tub over flows more. I’m screaming, calling out for her, but I can’t hear myself, only see the clouded blue eyes starting back at me that once promised me the world.
“Abby call 911” I scream Between sobs. Little feet run out the room.
“Wake up.. please wake up..” My sobs a whisper as I try yanking her out of the tub cradling her head close to me.
“Mommy.. please! ”
The rest is a blur, louder pounds at the door, hindges breaking. Im surrounded by blue clothing. Someones arms are around me,
"You gotta let go" a faint voice says but my eyes dont leave moms.
"Honey let go of her, let us help" Big hands grip my arms and yank me, I watch my hands slip from my mother and others catch her head.
"CPR." A woman yells, and im whisked away out of the bathroom. There must be at least 6 people in that small bathroom. My body shivers, I can feel it shaking but I don't feel cold. Outside I hear abby screaming my name like someone is murdering her, but I cant tear my eyes away from my mothers lifeless body.
Someone steps in my view and leans down to meet my eyes. "Annie, A very upset 5 year old is screaming for you.." I dont move, just blink. "Annie, can you hear me?" Finally her eyes are in my sight, they're brown with a golden center. "I hear you" I whisper. "Come on." She places a hand on my shoulder and slightly pushes me towards the door. The room is spinning, I feel drunk. I shouldn't know the feeling but I do. Suddenly everything I have ever did wrong, everything I have ever said hateful to my mother comes rushing into my brain and my heart feels like it's collapsed. The front door is wide open and Abby is fighting a man holding her till she breaks free. I take the three steps down the stairs from the door. Her little legs moving so fast to me and I collapse to my knees, her arms clapse around me.
"I.. I'm so sorry" I sob to her. Her cries become almost screams, which turn into "mommy" and my heart breaks more.

    The street is lit up flashing red and blue, and the suns already almost down. How long has it been? I squeeze Abby tighter with the blanket intertwined with my fingers. I hear squeaky wheels, and a mans voice say "Alright lift." Clattering of metal on the pavement. Abby strains to move her head away from my chest but I hold her there. A black bag on a stretcher... Just like in the movies.. Our mother never to return. "Mommy!" Abby screams. I try to hush her to hold her tighter. "I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry" Is all I can say rocking back and forth." I have my head barried in Abbys small body when I hear foot steps. Someone has approached us, but I dont want to look up. "Ms. Annabelle, is it?" A deep voice asks. I hesitate to move, wanting to pretend hes not here. A new fear creeping in.  They're gonna take Abby. "I just want to talk Annie." the man continues.
"Excuse me" a familiar voice speaks up, "My name is Bryan. I'm their neighbor...." his voice trails off as i hear the man attempting to talk to me walk towards him. "They can stay with me" I catch Bryan say. "I can have them there tomorrow morning" "no, theres no need for that tonight." a bit of relief flushes over me. Bryan is a tall dark haired man, 6'1 with bright bright blue eyes, much like Abby's. I know he works for a big corporation somewhere down town. "I'm gonna get them ok" The man says.

"Annie, Abby.. Do you know Bryan?" Hes now kneeling and leaning into my face, "Yes." I say. "We know him well.. he used to eat dinner with us a lot." I stop for a second.. What if he doesnt believe me?  "He was basically a father figure for Abby and I" I say, hoping to convince him. His greenish brown eyes burn into mine searching for a lie. Searching for a reason not to trust me, trust my word. His arm waves to behind me, and I hear foot steps approach. "Annie, Abigail" His voice sounds so sweet. Abby immediately looks up and reaches for Bryan. Good job Abby, show your trust  The man watches closesly to how Abby reacts to Bryan.  "Lets get you inside." Bryan Continues. "Mr.Micheal," the man interupts, "I'm gonna need some information from you once they're inside." He states, pulling out a note pad from his front jacket pocket. "Of course." Bryan flashes him the friendlist smile, and I stand up, legs wobbling. My stomach flips on me and i wanna throw up; Bryans hand falls inbetween my shoulder blades as he holds abby in his other and i manage to hold down my empty stomach acid. We walk slowly through the yard and to his front door. "Take Abby inside," I glance behind us, the man following closely but far enough away "You know where the blankets and spare bedroom is." He flashes me another one of his friendly smiles he just showed the man. I nod and take Abby from his arms.
Closing the front door behind me, I place my ear up to it. “Annie-” Abby trys to speak “Shhh! Abby, hold on.” She places her head on my shoulder and sucks her thumb. Something she hasnt done since she was 3. I strain to hear, catching a word here and there but one sticks in my head gardianship . Finally, I hear the officer say goodnight and Bryan's steps creak. For a second I panic, should I run to the spare room? But its too late, Im bouncing back as the door opens and Bryan's eyes meet mine. “I figured you would be listening.” I burrow my eye brows together, I want to know what is going on. “Abby should probably get some sleep.”  Her chest rises and falls again as if shes about to already, small sobs here and there. I nod, and we walk to the spare room together. Placing Abby on the bed Bryan pulls out a fuzzy blanket and drapes it over her, and shes out like a light. A red digital clock shines on the far side of the room, 9:58 pm . I can't grasp how late it is, everything seemed to be moving in slow motion. I stroke Abby's hair as I sit next to her on the bed. “You can come out whenever you're ready”  Bryan whispers and closes the door a crack as he walks out. I can hear faint clinks of glasses from the kitchen not too far from the spare room. There's one bed in the room, a small dresser thats probably empty, and a closed closet opposite of me. Kissing Abby's head I slowly get up, and tip toe to the door. I watch her as i close it till i can't see her anymore. I should go to the kitchen but i find myself not being able to move replaying what happened today over in my head. Why would mom do this to us? “Annie” A harsh whisper disrupts my thoughts. “You okay?” He asks, a hand on my shoulder. I nod, “I've made some tea” He trys to smile but this time there so much sympathy in his eyes I want to puke. I loved my mom, every child does, but.. After everything she put me through, Im glad Abby wont have to endure it as well.. I follow Bryan to the kitchen and sit at the small brown wooden table. Following the cracks with my finger Bryan yet again startles me as he places a mug infront of me. “It'll help.” He reassures me. I've never really drank tea before, but I hold the warm mug in my hand and realize I'm very cold now; I probably have been this whole time, but the addrenaline has now worn off.  A few sips in, Bryan sighs and I look up to realize he has been here the whole time, watching me sort through my brain. “Annie..” He begins to talk and stops, pondering his own thoughts. Tears swell in my eyes and they burn my throat as i try to contain them. “I don't want to upset you anymore than you already are.” he says, rubbing the back of his neck with his right hand. I can hear nails on skin as he moves his arm back and forth. Anxiety I tell myself “Mr.Micheal, I'm extremely appreciative of you taking us in for the night.” My voice is clear and strong; it almost startles me and I question who is talking. “Honestly, I was scared they were going to.. take Abby from me.” I continued to speak, and he cuts me off, “They wont do that, matter of fact, if it is alright with you, I would like to take you both in.” My heart aches. Possibilities run through my mind and i realize he's still talking as im spacing out to myself. “moving, but this way you wont be seperated. I think its best you two arent.” My eye brows close in on each other again. Moving? “I... I'm sorry, I spaced out a second, moving? What was that?” His fingers tap his mug. “Well, it would probably take longer now that DSS would be involved, However, I got a promotion for my job, and I was already planning on moving, the only reason” I speak up unintentionally “Where?” Chuckling he smiles “Arizona, it's where I'm supposed to have my own office.”  Arizona, why Arizona?? “look this is a lot to take in, and i understand completely, I was planning on possibly calling the DSS tomorrow and seeing if they could give you two a day or so... which give you time to let me know if you and Abby would like to stay. They want you both there at 8 am tomorrow morning, and.. i..” I shake my head trying to clear my thoughts but my eyes have grown heavy, random flicks of panic in my chest are keeping them open. “Thank you Mr.Micheal.. I.. we would appreciate it very much.. and if you don't mind, it seems this tea has caused me to be very ready for bed.” I smile weakly at him. “Absolutely, of course Annie.. Go, I'll clean up. I'm right up stairs if you need ANYTHING.” He emphasizes the word anything . Standing up i walk over to Mr.Micheal and give him an awkward hug, I didnt wait for him to stand up just leaned over and wrapped my arms around his neck. “thank you.” My voice barley a whisper.
Creeping into the bedroom, I hit the bottom of the bed and curl up next to Abby. Pulling her into me I close my eyes, its not long before sleep finds my brain.
   
    "Mom?" My voice quivers, and it sounds much different. I pass a mirror, and see im at least a foot shorter, and my face is much younger, less tired. I realize Im in our old house, Abby has never lived here. Immediately I realize what this is, I realize this is a dream, but I know exactly what memory this is. I race down the stairs, jumping off the last two steps, my left knee buckles. I realize I'm less coordinated at 7. Scrambling to my feet I run through the living room, through the dinning room and towards her bedroom. "MOM!" I scream, my throat burns from it. I know where to go, I know what I'm about to see. "Mommy!" Suddenly I stop, even though I'm screaming at myself to go to move to go faster, The bathroom door changes, my hands look different, I stare at it on the white wooden door. This is different, something isnt right. I push the door open and it creaks, with a ghostly sound and mom is laying underwater in the tub, i can see her hair flowing at the serface. I jump towards her, but she sits straight up so fast i fall backwards, my hands supporting me from behind. She stares at me with clouded blue eyes. "Annie Annie Annie" Her voice doesnt sound like hers. "Annie, Annie, Annie WAKE UP." She screams, my body jolting. Abby is so close to my face her eyes wide. "Annie...." She scared and I realize I was having a nightmare. "Annie, You scared me." I blink a few times. "I'm sorry Abbs." I pull her into me. "Are you okay?" I ask my eyes closed again trying to snuggle into her. "Of course Annabelle" Her voice sounds like my mother, I open my eyes again confused and those clouded eyes are inches from my face. I scream, and I'm sitting up in Bryan's spare bedroom, Abby rubbing her eyes, Bryan barging through the door. "Are you, okay??!" His eyes are red, and he blinks a few times like hes trying to get his vision straight. "I... I uh..." I glance at the clock, 3:20 AM . "I'm So sorry" Sobs are in my throat. "Hey, Its okay. It's alright. perfectly normal." He says walking closer hesitant. "Bwyan. will you stay in here?" Abby asks. "Abby no.. its o-" Bryan cuts me off. "why dont we make a fort in the living room, and watch a movie. We can camp out!" He says trying to sound excited but sounds exhausted. "YAY!!" Abby nearly screams. I groan a bit at her high pitch squeal. "Annie, grab the blankets in that closet, common Abby Lets go get the chairs into the living room" Abby jumps up following Bryan, I dont move. Why is this happening to us.. I drag my exhausted body to the edge of the bed, placing my feet on the tan carpeted floor. Staring at the closet, the clock in view, it now says 3:30. "Annie!! Common!!" Abby calls. Pressure on my feet and sudden pins and needles make me stumble a bit. I put a hand on the closet door, and slide it open. So many blankets and pillows are stocked up neatly in there. A fmaily of 9 could be set. I grab a few of both and drag it to the living room. Abby is jumping up and down her bed hair flopping around, baby pieces in her face. She uses her whole hand to whipe them away. Bryan grabs a sheet stuck in the mix of blankets and pillows from the pile and we stretch it over the chairs circled around the living room. A few blankets inside and pillows to make it soften theres actually plenty of room for the three of us. Bryan on one side of Abby me on the other, theres an opening for the view of the tv and he plays Abby's favorite show, Poke'mon. I sigh, and close my eyes, a hand on abby's stomach, Focusing on it rising and falling, sudden jitters with giggles. Bryan and her quietly sing the theme song and i find myself smiling a bit. Maybe we should live with him. I'm asleep once more, but this time its black, just black. Flashes of light and black again. I find myself on a cold floor. A voice leave my lips but i dont remember saying anything. "no." "no." "no" I grumble. And im awake, Bryans hand brushing my hair, Abby curled into his chest, his eyes are closed but he must be awake if hes rubbing my head. I'm a bit weirded out for a second, but its Bryan. Its just Bryan, hes being nice. He opens his eyes a bit and lifts up his other arm, moving it around trying to catch a light from the tv to see the watch, and then he looks at me. "You ok" Its barley a whisper but I nod, and close my eyes again. He doesnt stop running his fingers through my hair.

    “Annie, Annie, Annie” Abby sings dancing around me. The fort is down, and my blanket and pillow is left, I sit up rubbing my head “Goodmorning you.” I smile at her and for a split second I forgot about last nights events. The fast forward into my head all the way up to Bryan running his fingers through my hair. I shudder. Different things run through my head It wasnt that weird he did that, he was just comforting me, i was having a bad dream. Abby stares at me intentively and Bryan Pops his head around the corner form the dinning room “You want pancakes?” He asks, with a mixing bowl in his hand and flower on his nose, I look at abby who is also covered in flower. “Has she been helping you?” I ask him smirking. He laughs “Yeah “helping” “ then he looks at her, she giggles and runs back to the kitchen “I am helping!” She cries. I stand up, my body aching from the floor and look around. Everything is where its always been, yet its been so long since the last time Abby and I were here. I can remember it so vividly my body gets chills. It was November, i was about 13, Abby a little over 2. Snow covered the ground outside. My mother had brought home a “new boyfriend”. He ate dinner with us, and he wouldnt stop looking at me. No matter what I did his eyes were glued to me. I remember my mother drinking a lot, as well as him, and when it was bedtime, I carried Abby to our room and placed her in her crib. I watched her till she fell asleep, pacifyer hanging out of her mouth. I can remember staring at the clock listening to mom and her boyfriend giggle and talk in the room next to ours, 12:31 am. The giggling stopped and I closed my eyes. After a few moments I hear the bedroom door creak open, my heart raced. Slightly opening my eyes I looked at abby's crib, then the clock 1:15 am. Had I really been asleep already an hour, and suddenly I hear a faint “are you awake?” It was a deep husk voice, I know didnt belong to my mother, certainly not abby. I stay frozen. “Anniee” the e held out longer like a kid. My muscles tighten, and a hand runs along my blanket up my body, I can see the black outline of him. My head is screaming for me to do something, playing out scenerios, Run, Hide, Scream, Pretend to be asleep. All of them didnt seem like they were gonna work. “Annie?” I can smell the alcohol coming off of him. Please go away, please go away. But he didnt, and laid there terrified as i felt his fingers search for the edge of the blanket, and slowly peal it back. I guess I decided to pretend to be asleep and fought back the urge to gasp the blanket back. Go away, go away please, go away. Yet he was still there. Courage creeped up through my body. maybe if i open my eyes he will stop. Maybe he doesnt want me to see him doing this. So I do. I open my eyes and meet his mear inches from my face, when I notice no change in his movements, I open my eyes to scream, yet nothing comes out, infact nothing can come in either. My face gets hot, as I feel and realize the pressure on my throat. “Shhh...” He smiles and I want to puke. “It's ok, this is okay.” he's reassuring me, but I'm not dumb. “Now are you going to scream? Can I let go of your throat?” A tear slips down my face, and I feel it run to my ear. He slowly lets up off my throat, and smiles again “good girl.” My body is aching my stomach is turning. I squeeze my eyes shut, and more tears fall. “Aw.. Don't cry” His words feel like acid in my ears. “I'm not gonna hurt you..” 2:26 am. I have Abby in my arms and I'm sprinting through the yard, Glass crashes in our house behind me. Panic rising all through my body but the addrenaline is stronger, the will to get Abby to safety is stronger. My body jults into a sprint to bryans front door until im pounding on it so hard my hand stings like its broken. The door swings open and tears are pouring down my face, I'm in nothing but a nightgown Abby crying on my shoulder, he looks back at our house and then back at me, stepping aside so I can walk in. I think he always thought they were just fighting because if he knew everything, I dont think he would of never called the police.. I never wanted him too... But if he knew, I know he would have.
“Do you like blueberries or chocolate chips?” Bryan's question startles me, and i turn to face him. He acts like he doesnt notice i've just been standing in the living room staring at the wall. “Uh.. Chocolate chips.” i try to smile and he returns one, disappearing back into the kitchen. I swoop up my blankets and pillow, dragging them back to the bedroom. 9:26 Am I stare at the clock, and remember we were supposed to have a meeting at the DSS office. “Hey! Bryan?” I say walking quickly out of the bedroom “Mhm?” He responds popping a few chocolate chips into his mouth “Um, Did you call that place this morning” Abby is sitting on the counter next to bryan eating chocolate chips. “Yes I did, Theres a meeting monday afternoon 4:30.” he reassures me. “I'm guessing we didnt have to go to school today.” i smile at him “What school? Its the weekend.” he winks at me “I did let them know the circomstance.” The weekend went by faily quickly, Abby distracted the whole time only crying in her sleep asking for mommy. I wanted to be alone though, and that was impossible. I know Bryan wanted to be sure I was ok, and a lot of teens going through something so traumatic could do some stupid crap, but I need time alone. Come sunday afternoon, right after we were able to get some clothings and personal items from the house I asked Bryan if I could go to the library. He looked at me weird at first “I have a project” i reassured him. Eyes lit up “Maybe I can help! Whats it on?” I try to think fast, Abby is playing in the living room while we drink tea. Sighing I finally admit “I just.. want some quite time to myself.” I tell him staring at my cup of tea, i watch it ripple as i slightly blow on it, steam still coming off the surface. He's quite for a moment “Of course.” I can feel him searching for my eyes “I understand if you want to be alone sometimes, I just don't want you to feel like you are alone.” His eyes are so sincere. I smile a bit. “I know.” “Good, go grab what you want to take with you, I can drop you o-” “Actually..” i cut him off. “I wouldnt mind walking.. I like the time to think as well.” Im so hesitant, even with no reason to be. He nods and smiles. “you have my number.” I smile back, and walk to the bedroom grabbing my school bag and my favorite book. I kiss Abby on the head who barley tears her eyes away from the cartoon on the tv. “I'll be back.” I whisper to her. A monotone “K” Is all i get and i laugh a bit. “Don't let her watch too much tv” I say jokingly to Bryan as I walk out the door, closing behind me and hopping down the steps. My feet stop on the sidewalk. To the left is our old house, Tied off by yellow tape still, some wafting in the wind. To the right would add 20 minutes to the walk, but after just going inside early im not sure I can handle much more. I stare at my feet as I walk, my mind races for a bit and then stops. Something insides reminds me “You had a plan” and I swallow hard. Stopping abruptly. A note. There has to be a note. I was going to leave one, She had to have left one. But if it was left out in plain view the cops would of found it, what if it wasn't. I keep walking forward deciding im going to walk the block and come up the other side so Bryan doesnt spot me. A note. There has to be a note. A sudden rush fills  my body and I start running. A note! Addrenaline coursing through me, I burst through our back gate, everything a flash of colors and I feel like I'm running faster than the Flash. Stopping at the back porch, I search for the spare key, amongst a dozen other rocks ina  small garden, one has the key. I pick up every one until the last one, a silver key falls out. Of course, the last one i try. My hands shake as i put it into the back door. My mind still focused on one thing. First I go into her bedroom where we weren't allowed before, and its torn apart, the police mixed with paramedics must have moved practically everything, but why? I open a few drawers most empty, some with random clothes and I stop Common mom, wheres your note? And it hits me. “Maybe she knew the cops would look for it, maybe she wanted me to find it. I dart out the room, turning the corners and up the stairs, tripping on the 3rd to last step, I crawl before i spring back up right and bust through my door. Its messy, but its always messy. I search for anything out of place, anything at all until I realize the teddy bear I used to sleep with isnt on the shelf but on my bed, that I actually made that morning. I have slept with it since i was 8. My heart drops as I can see a small white corner underneath him. Everything moves slowly, my hand outstretched where I can see my chipped nail polish and shaking boney fingers. My body pulses from my heart beat, and i feel like im vibrating. Fingers brushing the stiff paper I gasp and hold it as it slides out from under the teddy bears butt. There it is, her handwritting, her Sober  hand writitng. My heart has fallen so far, I now know, this was fully planned, and thought out... Just as I had tried to do. Oh mom..





Chapter 2 �" Mom's letter
    Dear Annabelle,
        It breaks my heart to be writing this to you right now, I know you're at school, probably your last period of the day before you pick up Abby. I just want you to know that this is NOT your fault, its not Abby's its not anyone's but my own. I have destroyed your life, and watched you raise your little sister like she was your own. I can't destroy her life too. I refuse. Listen closesly, I'm hoping you find this before you find me, but I want you to find me before Abby, so if she is downstairs tell her to come up to her room now. I am in my bathroom.. The water will be filled and the tub and that is where I will be, please take a deep breath, and read all of this before you go and investigate. I love you Annie, and I have been awful to y0u. I know what Gary, and Derek did to you, and I did nothing to stop it. I don't deserve your forgivness, but I want you to fogive what happened so you can move past it. I know you might not even be sad I am gone, and I understand that too, but I didn't want to leave without you knowing two things.
1. Your fathers name is Alexander Garettson
and he lives in Arizona. 4950 Polk Street, tucson Arizona 85714 and his phone number is 520-901-7104
 2.    This is something I should of told you before, and not like this, however, I can't wait till you get home, You have a Twin sister named Elizabeth, she resides with your father.
I'm sorry Annie, I am so sorry. There is a will which im sure you will be spoken to about. I've save up quite a bit of money for you and Abby. Please, forgive me, if not for me, for yourself. I love you Annie, and give Abby a kiss for me.
love your mother.
       
        I find myself on the floor, holding the teddy bear I onced loved. I'm sobbing, I can't stop. How could she doe this to us, to me. And it hits me, A twin sister. The tears are worse now and I can't decide if I should call Bryan to come get me or get my s**t together and get up. I look at the clock on the flip phone. It's already been 2 hours. “S**t.” I mumble. Should I tell Bryan about the letter? My head is spinnging and I want to throw up. It takes me another 20 minutes to even get off the floor. I can barley walk, but i make my way out the back door until im stopped in my tracks to Bryan leaning against the back porch railing. We make eye contact, he gives me a sad disappointed look. “I know, you must of felt like you needed to go here alone. I understand that..” He starts off, rubbing the back of his neck. “i just really hate lying...” voice trailing off “I went to the library when your phone kept going to voice mail and you weren't there.. Do you understand how badly my heart dropped?” My stomach turns more and I feel awful.. I never meant to scare or hurt anyone. “Abby could of been an orphan by herself-” I dont know why but i cut him off “She is” i state. His eye brows pushed together “What do you mean?” I can't stop myself. I pull the letter out and read it to him. When I'm finished his look of confusion only got worse. “What about Abby's father?” He asks after a few moments of silence realizing we didnt share the same one. Birds screach as I watch a cat jump out of bush. “he died, in an accident, we were all in.” Head dropping he sighs a long heavy sigh. “I'm guessing you want to go live with your father then?” He asks. “Not without Abby and certainly not without meeting him.” I hesitate. “My mother wasn't good at picking people to have kids with.” Memories of Abby's father racing through my mind, i shake them away. “I don't know the man, and I'm really too old to be running up to him calling him Daddy, but i would like to meet him.” I explain. “his name isnt even on your birth certificate.” The words sting as they enter my ears and im not sure why. “I know.” “I want abby and I to stay with you, I want a new start no matter where we go. I just want to meet him.” I plead. “Of course, I would never deny you from doing so. Your sister, Did you know about her?” He asks. Shaking my head no, he smiles. “We will work on it, I promise. Can we focus on DSS right now? Moving? And once we're settled, we can reach out to him.” I nod, “Sure.” “come on then.” His outstretched hand towards me, reminds me, I don't have to do any of this alone. I grab it and we walk back to the house.

© 2017 Samantha Taylor


Author's Note

Samantha Taylor
This isn't finished, my family and friends want me to continue and publish however im curious of a strangers opinion so please share what you all think! Yes I am a Simmer, and I made the characters there as a viewing for myself however I use it as a cover for now.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

85 Views
Added on September 20, 2017
Last Updated on October 18, 2017
Tags: Fiction, teen, two girls, drama, horror

Author

Samantha Taylor
Samantha Taylor

NC



About
I'm 21, Married and am a step mother to 3 kids and have one of my own. I've been writing for as long as I remember and love feedback, good or bad. more..

Writing