poem

poem

A Poem by Epicness

Marjorie Kane was ninety three. 
Her hair was pure grey, she had a stiff knee. 
Her wrinkles were many, her eyesight was poor,
but she could beat anyone in a thumb war. 

Slower than slow she'd amble along.
A smile on her lips, she'd whistle a song. 
An elderly lady she was - that was true, 
but she loved to have fun and her frowns they were few.

Now, Marjorie Kane had friends far and wide.
They'd come to her home and sit by her side,
to hear all her stories of thumb wars long past.
For she told them so well and so long did they last.

And one sneaky fellow came every odd week! 
He'd greedily listen to every technique.
He would secretly practise his thumb war routine
and his eyes they would sparkle with menace unseen.

For Tommy Le Chat was not that well-known.
He drifted through town unnoticed. Alone.
He wanted the life that old Marjorie had
so he thought up a plan - it was mean, it was bad.
And one night he snuck into Marjorie's house. He crept through her home with the ease of a mouse. He ended up standing by Marjorie's chair, the place where she'd thumb war with passion and flare. He emptied some powder onto the seat, then made his way quickly out onto the street. He whistled with joy as he got in his car. Soon Tommy would be the best player by far! The next day, our Marjorie answered her door, her friends weren't aware of just what was in store. Immediately Tommy expressed his request, "I'd like us to thumb war, to see who is best!" The spectators chuckled and twittered with glee. They loved to see somebody play Marjorie! And Marjorie smiled and sat down in her chair. Her chances to thumb war with others were rare. The players clasped hands and they started the fight. They went on through the day and all through the night. Til suddenly Marjorie moved in her chair. Tom's powder awoke and it spread through the air! And suddenly Marjorie's nose started twitching. And she couldn't bear it, so much it was itching. And Tommy Le Chat was grinning with glee. His plan had defeated the great Marjorie. But wait! Just before Tom could finish the match, she sneezed violently and his thumb she did catch. And with force unrivaled she slammed his thumb down. And she shook her head slowly, while wearing a frown. And poor Tommy's face was shocked and aghast. Nobody spoke and the minutes flew past. Till Marjorie told all her friends not to crowd her. And when they'd all gone, she half laughed: "sneezing powder!?" And Tommy Le Chat felt his face burn with shame. "I'm sorry," he said, "but I wanted your fame. See if I was the champion, I'd have lots of friends. But I know I was wrong. How can I make amends?" "You can start with a rematch!" She said with a grin. "Believe in yourself and perhaps you will win! Your technique was great -you were doing so well. You don't have to cheat, you can play, I can tell." And Tommy, he smiled back with bright gratitude. His passion for thumb wars was quickly renewed. "And least you're my friend" he said when they'd begun. And when they had finished...Tommy had won!

© 2016 Epicness


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on March 30, 2015
Last Updated on August 23, 2016

Author

Epicness
Epicness

Writing
Twelve Twelve

A Poem by Epicness


I can't I can't

A Poem by Epicness