homophobia (against men)|misogyny

homophobia (against men)|misogyny

A Story by Charles Chukwuani

Homophobia (specifically, against men) and misogyny are the best of pals. They ride bikes together, and skip rocks at the lake after a long day spent ruining lives.
Why?
Think about it: what do people seem to hate the most about gay men? Being effeminate. Being flamboyant. "Forcing their homosexuality upon you" (honestly, this brand of logic is one of the more ridiculous developments of the 21st century). People see men in skirts and catapult into diatribes on poor parenting and "fatherless" jokes. I mean, it's not like Scottish men have been wearing kilts for decades, right? People see men in makeup and feel the need to staunchly defend their right to be intolerant!
(if you want to confuse a homophobic misogynist ask: "If women wear makeup for men, who do men wear make up for?")
Do you realize the implication of a dress being fine on a woman, but wrong on a man? Of makeup being acceptable on a woman, but abhorrent on a man? Further than that, do you realize the consequence of "feminine" (I put this in air quotes because honestly, what is feminine behavior? who knows) behavior being the "norm" for women, but the same behavior being abnormal for a man? 
You are implying that there exists a certain inherent wrongness about femininity. About acting like, and by extension, being, a woman.
I braided my hair recently and all I hear is "Why you don arrange your hair like woman?"
I enter a cab and a car in front of us is moving unbearably slowly "Look at this idiot. Na woman dey drive."
These are just daily occurrences within my limited Nigerian scope. Such occurrences vary in wording/example, but agree in the underlying concept, across the world. The white American berates his son that sucks at baseball with, "You throw like a girl!" (while Mo'ne Davis flips her hair at them). The black American calls out his friend, "Why you acting like a b***h?" (and as much as the internet troll would like you to believe, they aren't talking about the female dog).
I could go on and on, but my stomach hurts.
You may think your homophobia exists in a vacuum (not that doing so would make it okay anyway, but I digress), and that it is independent of your views towards women? But in reality, you're just a step away from a stroll down misogyny lane.

© 2015 Charles Chukwuani


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

301 Views
Added on May 15, 2015
Last Updated on May 15, 2015

Author

Charles Chukwuani
Charles Chukwuani

Abuja, Nigeria



About
21 year old student. Just going through the motions of life I guess. Anime/video game lover. Asian culture enthusiast. more..

Writing