The Reader II

The Reader II

A Story by Hatter
"

a continuation of The Reader

"

When they finally arrived at the library, Demetri was amazed.

“Wow, this library is amazing,” he said awed.

“Yeah, I know,” Myla replied leading him up the stairs to her corner. Suddenly at the top of the stairs she stopped. She realized she was going to share her corner with this guy.

She turned around to face him, knowing he had heard he thought.

You can’t share this with anyone. She thought strictly. He nodded, seeing how serious she was. Myla took a deep breathe, then she continued leading him though the maze of bookcases until she reached her corner.

“Nice,” Demetri said taking a seat at the table. Myla sat across from him, ready to learn.

“Ok, lets start,” she said, trying to keep the excitement and nerves from her voice.

Alright. Demetri responded in her mind.

Calm your mind. He continued turning serious. Myla closed her eyes to help her relax. She concentrated on her breathing and could feel her whole body, along with her mind relax.

Nice. Demetri thought, Myla could hear the smile in his voice.

Now find the edges of your mind. When you do, imagine building a wall. Myla followed his instructions. She felt around her mind, slowly finding the edge of it. Then she  followed that all around seeing the borders of her mind. Then she concentrated at one point, and slowly she started building her wall. First she imagined bricks floating in and being placed in the edges. She circle her mind with the bricks, slowly building up the wall.

Demetri watched her face. He saw her twitch every once in awhile. Then he stood up quietly and walked to a nearby bookcase. He examined the books, looking for something to read. He finally chose a book from the case bringing it to the table. He sat down and started reading waiting patiently for Myla.

Myla finished the wall a while later. She did a double check going around the whole thing to make sure that there were no holes anywhere. When she finally felt satisfied she pulled herself away and opened her eyes. She could still feel her wall in her mind, sturdy.

Demetri glanced up when he heard her move.

“Done?” he asked closing the book.

“Yeah,” Myla replied.

“Okay,” Demetri said, then he mentally reached out to her. He was surprised by how strong her wall was. He felt around trying to get it.

Myla could feel his presence outside her mind, it was barely there. She saw a look of annoyance form on Demetri’s face. She smiled, pleased with herself.

“Well?” she asked.

“Really good job,” Demetri answered pulling back from her mind. He stared at Myla, curiosity filled his face.

“What?” she said.

“Nothing,” he muttered.

“That’s all for today it’s getting late,” Demetri said louder. He stood up. Myla looked out the window noticing that the sun was already setting.

“Yeah lets go,” she agreed. They grabbed their backpacks and went downstairs.

“Have you been able to read people’s thoughts for your whole life?” Myla asked.

“Yes, both my parents can too,” Demetri answered. Myla was surprised.

“Both your parents?”

“Yeah,” Myla considered that. Her mother definitely couldn’t. Her dad was a possibility, there had been times when she had heard a thought that had seemed directed at her, but he also had all thoughts horrible thoughts. He must have truly forgotten about her ability. This only made Myla more confused.

Outside the heavy wood doors of the library Myla and Demetri said goodbye. Myla walked home pondering what she had learned. If both of Demetri's parents could read minds than one of her own parents must be able to also. It wouldn’t make sense that she could read minds but her parents couldn’t she must have gotten her ability from one side of the family. Myla had a sneaking suspicion that it was her dad. He must have been a mind reader too, but it still didn’t make sense. If he could read minds then he must of know that Myla could too. Also he didn’t ever hide his thoughts, they were always reaching Myla. Unless he was somehow sending thoughts to somehow cover up his real thinking. At this point so many things were possible.

Myla opened the door of her house to screaming and bawling. Tyler and Kate were in the living room both yelling their heads off while tears streamed down their faces. Her mom was kneeling in front of them talking calmly. Myla walked over and joined her mom on the floor.

“What’s wrong?” Myla asked glancing at her crying siblings. Her mom sighed.

“They’re still upset,” she replied, her voice echoing how exhausted she was. Myla set her face, and then turned to Tyler and Kate.

“Tyty, Katie. I know your upset,” Myla started her siblings continuing to cry.

“I am too,” she continued. Then she made her face into a frown. Catching their attention, but the tears continued to stream down.

“Let’s play a game, any game you guys want to play,” Myla said plastering on a huge smile. Tyler and Kate nodded their cheeks wet with tears but no more were falling. After a moment of sniffling  Tyler mumbled said, “ Hide and seek.”

“Ok,” Myla said. Then she covered her eyes and started counting, “ One… two…three,” She smiled as she heard Tyler and Kate’s feet scamper away from her and up the stairs. Myla played hide and seek with them for an hour, then she told them it was bedtime and after some struggling and her mom’s help she got them in bed. Finally she was able to relax. She closed the door to her room and sat at her desk covered with books that she was either in the middle of reading or hadn’t started yet. The books she had finished were stuffed into her full book shelf or were in a pile on the floor. She sat down and opened her current book but none of the words were sticking. She was thinking about Demetri, her lesson, and who her father had really been. She realized that she had forgotten to ask her about him. She decided it would have to wait a while. Myla practiced opening and closing her mind to the thoughts around her.

Her sibling’s thoughts had calm down most likely because there was sound asleep in the room next door. Myla could here her mother downstairs moving around the kitchen. She sighed. She closed her eyes changed into her pajamas and climbed into bed. She lay in bed looking up at her ceiling her thoughts were jumbled. The time of the library repeated in her head, Demetri’s change outside the library, and her dad’s secret life. She wondered, could he really have been able to read minds. Then she thought, it might not matter anymore anyway since he was gone, and she had no clue were he had disappeared to. Finally sleep came to her and she drifted into a dreamless sleep.

The next morning Myla was shaken awake. A thought had seeped through the cracks in Myla’s wall as she slept.

I’m sorry sweetheart. I really am. Myla had recognized the voice as her fathers. She stumbled to her window and threw it open. She looked outside feeling her father’s presence nearby. Then the his presence disappeared.

Where are you? Myla threw out form her mind, she sent out as far as she could, but her father didn’t respond. Myla sighed and dropped to the floor right as her alarm rang. She sat for a moment then heaved her self up and turned off the alarm. She quickly changed tossing on a hoodie and some pants. Then quickly checked her mental wall covering all the cracks as she walked down the stairs. In the kitchen her mother and siblings were bustling around getting ready for work and school. Myla grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl, gave her mother a hug and patted the twins heads as she headed out.

“No breakfast?” Myla’s mom asked.

“I’m good,” Myla responded through a mouthful of apple. She slipped on her shoes swing her backpack, that she had dropped in front of the door, on. She opened the door refreshed by the cool air. As she started walking a thought bumped her wall.

Meet at the library? It was from Demetri.

Yeah sure. Myla answered a smile slowly appearing on her face. She took a deep breath in taking in the smell of the fresh morning air. Then she headed to the library with spring in her step.

When she arrived she say Demetri standing outside the door a pair of white earbuds in his ears. Myla examined him for a minute taking in his black sweater and jeans that hugged his legs. His looks made her conscious of herself. Her plain brown hair cut near her shoulders and her plain hazel colored eyes. She quickly looked herself over taking in her black leggings and gray sweater. Then she chided herself for thinking about her sense of style at that moment.

Suddenly Demetri turned around and looked straight at Myla. He had sense her approaching. He yanked his earbuds out and met Myla with a grin.

“Hey,” he said.

“Hey,” Myla answered while struggling to keep a giant grin from appearing on her face.

Let’s go. Demetri said turning towards the school. Myla shouldered her backpack and followed him. He slowed down is quick and long strides so that they were both walking together. Myla took notice of that but quickly sent it to the back of her mind as she enjoyed the comfortable silence. When they arrived at school they went their separate ways, Myla went to her locker where she knew Ed and Sarina would be waiting. Demetri slipped into the crowd quickly disappearing in the throng of teenagers.

“Morning,” Ed said as Myla approached.

“So how was your date?” Sarina asked. Myla didn’t respond right away, taking her time to put her books in her locker.

“How was it it?” Sarina asked again impatience creeping into her voice. Myla smiled enjoying watching her friend grow impatient for information.

“It wasn’t a date and it was fine.” Myla responded.

“Really?” Sarina said surprised.

“Come on Rina, we’re going to be late,” Ed jumped in giving Myla a wink as he spun Sarina around and nudged her forward.

“This isn’t over!” Sarina called over her shoulder letting Ed push her away from Myla. Myla shook her head and quickly headed to her first class.

The day was the same until history class. Myla was sitting next to Demetri when the teacher announced another new student. A guy with blond hair and bright blue eyes entered the class. He had a giant grin on his face that was almost blinding. Myla looked him over not believing someone could look that happy. Then she noticed Demetri had tensed up next to her. Confused she leaned over looking up at Demetri's face. He had a cold expression on his face.

What’s wrong? Myla asked worry showing on her face. Demetri unfroze and looked at Myla as if he had forgotten she was there. Demetri’s face changed filling with concern and a hint of fear.

Stay away from him. He told Myla.

© 2018 Hatter


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm so glad to be able to read the next part of the story! Keep writing!

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 25, 2018
Last Updated on January 25, 2018

Author

Hatter
Hatter

Writing
Letting Go Letting Go

A Story by Hatter


Rain Rain

A Story by Hatter


Us Us

A Poem by Hatter