The Last Day

The Last Day

A Story by Hayden
"

This is a nonfiction story about the last day with my grandma

"

The Last Day

I was with my mom heading to a dog show, my mom told me on the way that my grandma was very sick and may be dying. I cried for the longest time and I was very close with my grandma. This was going to be my very first dog show that I have gone to, I had to help my mom bring in her artwork for the show. The show ended and it was time to pack up and leave. One of the girls helping us dropped glass and it broke.

My dad was heading to Michigan to go help my grandma(his mom). We were going to head out later that day to go help out. On our way to Michigan we got a call that she was dying, then my dad said “Drumroll, she is still kicking.” I cried thinking she was going to die before we got there. My sister is a doctor and kept giving her medicine to take away the pain.

It was late when we got to Michigan and I was afraid I wouldn’t get to see my grandma. She wanted to stay alive until I got there, she fought to stay alive. When we got into the house I went straight to her bedroom to go see her. She was sleeping and my dad wanted me to hold my grandma’s hand, but I was scared that I would break her hand because she looked so fragile. I was scared that my grandma would die if I left her, so I waited until someone came into the room to leave. It was past midnight and it was time to leave to go sleep.

My parents woke me up at six in the morning and told me that my grandma had passed. My grandma died four hours after I left, in her sleep, peacefully. I cried so much the day before that I didn’t have any tears left. My grandma didn’t want a memorial, she just wanted to be cremated and sent to California to be next to her sister. I was really close to my grandma.

It’s been a year since my grandma died and every holiday since then, has been a struggle for me. I still cry every now and then, when I think of her, but she has made me a stronger person. I still remember her last words to me, “I love you a lot”. She told me that I was a great kid and that she loves me. I love my grandma a lot and when I turn 18, I am going to get a tattoo of a sunflower with her initials coming off of the stem because her favorite flower was a sunflower.

© 2015 Hayden


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

106 Views
Added on December 14, 2015
Last Updated on December 14, 2015

Author

Hayden
Hayden

MO



Writing
The Pageant The Pageant

A Story by Hayden