I am the Atheist of Spring

I am the Atheist of Spring

A Poem by Hayley

I am the atheist of spring


     I fled Her

     And She fled me

  

     Like Her nightly passes 

     Over doors brushed with lamb’s blood

     She chants “Judas, Judas”

     Looks for a son


(Does Her cross lie in a bed of blossoms?

  It is hidden just as I)


     I paint my tendril arms in poppies 

     As the lamb for Her slaughter


     She pauses


     “Bring life to this one

      For she is more dead than my brother”

© 2012 Hayley


Author's Note

Hayley
Spring brings hope for some, others not so much.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

oh my....very interesting. Spring and her promises of new life (and love perhaps) has betrayed you and left you an unbeliever in her charms. I love the last lines denoting that you are more dead than winter, that is so powerful!
It makes you wonder about her cross hidden in the flowers....for those who do not feel her rejuvenation powers, it could be that-the pain of not feeling more alive in the Springtime. But still, you paint your arms as poppies, so hope rests at the bottom of your well. There is a depth to this poem that really merits much thought. I loved it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You take a religious message with a strong metaphor and flip it on it's head. What a fascinating poem. I could go a million different directions with this.

I really enjoyed your brief moment of reflection...

(Does Her cross lie in a bed of blossoms?

It is hidden just as I)


You are brilliant my Dear.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Love the allusions to Pharaoh and the killing of the first borns, and Judas.
Very confusing and intricate. A few readings were required.

Posted 11 Years Ago


nice flow and i like the religious ego tones pious as the sacrifice of the self reflection condoned. You caught my attention with the first stanza, then kept bumping around a tempo with such graceful denominational dimensional metaphors..love the symbolism

Posted 11 Years Ago


After a barren winter they change in weather can greatly affect your moods.
allow for you to start seeing in a more positive way, But some winters never end.
very much enjoyed the play on words with the title being "athiest of spring" and using bible verses. very good write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


beautiful and profound...well done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Beautiful write.Great flow and use of language.Just like promises, not all come to fruition.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Your writing always possesses this beautiful, classic feel. It's something I feel could stand the test of time, like all the great poets in the anthologies. I really like the way you took the usual "fresh new outlook" idea of spring and twisted it into something else. This piece is very clever and creative with the different factors you bring together into the overall structure. It's a really wonderful read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like how you used bilical lines to emphasise your point.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I like parallels between intimate personal tragedy and mass epic tragedy, which this evokes beautifully with its religious wording and use of the season spring. I say mass tragedy, as it makes me think of Israel and Jerusalem's current daily conflicts, amongst the very singular one that you portrayed.

Your lines are all perfect, like you found them somewhere always fully formed, rather than wrote them.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wording is incredible.

Posted 12 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1395 Views
37 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on March 18, 2012
Last Updated on March 18, 2012

Author

Hayley
Hayley

OH



About
I'm a 21-year-old undergraduate college student majoring in business. I'm not on the cafe as much as I would like to be. Don't be a stranger. Side note: I do not rate writing. This is eye-op.. more..

Writing
Torrent Torrent

A Poem by Hayley


Stargazers Stargazers

A Poem by Hayley



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


The Last Waltz The Last Waltz

A Poem by Muse


Sugar and Sun Sugar and Sun

A Poem by Muse