The death of Emma Stone

The death of Emma Stone

A Story by WindsorWolf28
"

She finally fell.

"

I couldn't believe it.
She was dying.
And the last words I had said to her.
Well, they weren't very nice.
I had told her I hated her. It was all her fault. I had told her I wanted her to leave me be.
So she pulled on her black hoodie, her eyes full of understanding and tears, and walked out.
I didn't notice the blood at the corner of her lips.
I didn't notice the spreading red on her bandaged arm.
I should have.
I should have.
I should have.
I should have.
But I didn't.
I didn't.
And I can't fix that.
I can't.

She closed the door gently behind her,
Leaving me to think.

I got a call two hours later.
I ignored the phone.
It rang again.
I pressed ignore.
It rang a third time.
I picked it up.
"WHAT?!" I yelled.
"Mr. Williams?"
"Hugh?" Only Emma knew my last name.
"We have Emma Stone here...at the hospital. She collapsed on the street." I needed to hear no more. My heart pounded. I felt nauseous.
Why hadn't she told me something was wrong?
Did she not know?
'You know why she didn't tell you.'
My mind said.

I grabbed my keys and I ran out of the small house we shared.

I raced past people on the streets and in the city. Sounds and images became slurring blurs.
It took ten minutes for me to get there.
I ran to the front desk when I got there, pushing my way past multiple people, all seeking care or loved ones.
"Stone. Where is Emma Stone?!"
The lady at the desk looked shocked.
"B floor, room 2c!" She said hurriedly.
I wasted no time in rushing up the stairs.
I ran through the twisting corridors of the building, hearing the agonizing cries of those mourning and in pain.
"Please let her be alive."
I recited to myself over and over again.
"Please letter her live."
I took a deep breath when I reached the closed door of the door that held her.
I pushed it open with a creak.
The sound of labored breathing was the only sound in the room of bleach besides a faint and subtle beeping sound.
I ran to the bed as quickly as I could, hoping I wasn't too late.

Her bangs were brushed away from her eyes, and her hair was scattered messily over the pillow. She was still, and paler than I remembered her to be. She looked frail and fragile, as if my gaze could break her. Her chest barely moved with her laborious breath.
"Emma!" I yelled, tears in my eyes. It was hard to see her lying there. Her hazel eyes blinked slowly open, and she smiled warmly at me.
"It'll be alright, Shadow. You'll be able to move on." She took my hand, and I could see the sadness and fear in her eyes.
"I'm not afraid to die." She told me.
Sure, maybe she was okay with it, maybe she felt ready, but she wasn't fearless.
"No! You aren't gonna die, Em. You can't!" Tears were streaming down my face as I kneeled beside the bed of the shifter.
"You can't...you can't die...you can't leave me here alone." She looked at me sadly, her eyes filled with sorrow and understanding.
"It'll be alright, Shade. I promise."
"No." I was sobbing. "No. It won't be alright. Not with you gone."
"Shadow, it's time I see my family again. I'm tired and broken. My life has taken its toll on me. I'm so sorry, Shade. Please," she was beginning to tear up. "Please understand."
"I can't. I can't understand." I was dying inside. My heart ached. I knew the outcome of this night already.
"Good bye, Shad..." Her eyes slid closed, and she breathed out once slowly. "...ow."
She flatlined.
I screamed.
There was no way.
There was no way she was gone.
There was no way she was dead.
It was just a bad dream.
It had to be!
I'd wake up, and she'd be there to comfort me and hold me as she always did when the nightmares got me.

A wrinkled hand squeezed my shoulders.
"She's gone, son." An old voice said.

"No." I stood up quickly, startling the doctors that had walked in behind me.
"She's not dead! She can't be!"


© 2014 WindsorWolf28


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You wrote a very sad story. It had the feel of real life and struggle. I like the internal thoughts and the way you led the reader to the sad ending. The ending is true. We will never truly understand death. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

You wrote a very sad story. It had the feel of real life and struggle. I like the internal thoughts and the way you led the reader to the sad ending. The ending is true. We will never truly understand death. Thank you for sharing the excellent story.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A sad story but beautiful in style

Posted 9 Years Ago


WindsorWolf28

9 Years Ago

Thanks. Sorry it was sad...I will post the backstory for it later.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 17, 2014
Last Updated on June 17, 2014
Tags: Death, sad

Author

WindsorWolf28
WindsorWolf28

Pasadena, MD



About
I'm a depressed person, that doesn't make me suicidal. I love to write. I hate math. I write mostly poetry and short stories. more..

Writing