MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL

MIRROR MIRROR ON THE WALL

A Story by helen shanthi
"

Just the scenario of a lot of girls. When the common misconception states that girls have it all figured out, think again

"

 

She looked into the mirror for the hundredth time to make sure her smoked eyes were not giving away the form. As she slid out of her room, peeking in to her parents’ bedroom to make sure they were indulged in their usual quarrel, she found the fight to be more violent as expected. She ran out of the hallway slipped into her best pair of heels and made her way onto the pavement. She walked on the streets with her head held high. He was going to be there. It was after a million contradicting thoughts did she muster up the courage to finally break the ice. She straightened up and decided not to let her insecurities wash away this surprising boost of confidence that had come upon her.  She entered the hotel where the party was happening. Everyone seemed to have indulged into one another chit chatting endlessly.  Oh there he was laughing away with his clique! She walked towards him in a hesitant manner and  her friend grabs her by the shoulder and shrieks, “ You finally came!” trying to wriggle herself from that grasp she looks around cautiously.“ I thought you were still contemplating about this. Didn’t I tell you that you won’t feel paranoid once you get used to it!.” She ducked her head down and turned around only to find him standing right behind her. She gasped and stared at his beautiful brown eyes that fluttered as he looked at her. “Hey I’ve been meaning to talk to you about something. You got a minute?”  She nodded and moved away. she could feel her cheeks flush and her heart was racing.“ I know it’s weird to bring this up since we’ve hardly spoken but I realised I have to do it.” The thumping only got louder. “I have had a thing for your friend for a year now and I’m not the kind of guy who rushes into anything. Before I even take the first move I want to make sure she’s in that place. Since you and I have had a pleasant vibe between us, I thought ill run it by you.” She almost cracked up and choked but managed to smile,nod and move away. She walked out feverishly. It all started to make sense to her now. So the looks her friend had mentioned were not meant for her. She thought of how she felt when her friend mentioned that he was giving her “the eye.” As she walked in home she noticed that the fight had subsided and the reality struck her. That little fantasy was a lie. She removed the make-up with utter cautiousness knowing that she put them on with a hope. She looked into the mirror at her bare face and said, “Welcome back.”

© 2017 helen shanthi


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

91 Views
Added on August 24, 2017
Last Updated on August 24, 2017

Author

helen shanthi
helen shanthi

BENGALURU/ KERALA, India



About
Write, not so that it can be read, but your own soul to be fed more..

Writing