A Winter Night

A Winter Night

A Story by Hexan

The forest bows to the wind, weighted down by the snow clinging to the branches. The wind sounds like complaining voices coming from the trees. Singing about their aching backs they sway and bend like giant creatures in the night.


The snow catches any light, reflecting it, warding off the darkness. Everything is covered. Between the trees the shapes of rocks and bushes seem sinister, as if they are creatures in disguise waiting for you to pass.


The dim light makes it hard to walk. The snow eliminates shapes and shadows. You can’t tell if there’s a rock, root or flat ground where you’re setting down your foot so you walk slowly, trying to decide if you’re still on the path or not. You are the first to walk it since the snow fell and it’s almost impossible to recognize the trail you’ve walked many times before.


The dark, gray sky has taken on a sickly pink hue from the light of civilization that perverts the night sky. Distant lights of houses and street lights between the trees seem like the will o’ the wisps of old, ready to lure you astray.


There’s something primal about the sleeping forest, waiting for the light of spring. Many times before it has waited, and many times yet it will. It’s the rhythm of the land.


You emerge from the trees into the harsh, open area where the trees have been cut down. The lights coming from your home seem a little bit more distant, a little colder. For a moment loneliness grips your soul before you shake off the mood of the forest and regain the confidence in your step. Once you’re inside in the warmth you’ve almost forgotten how it felt.


The trees are still out there, covered in snow, complaining in whispered voices about the burden they carry.

© 2017 Hexan


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

very descriptive and wonderful imagery.
I felt this write somewhat, relatable.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hexan

6 Years Ago

Thank you!
This was incredible! You are so talented in descriptions! For me a great description equals the instant forming of a picture in my mind as I read and your piece of writing definitely did that!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hexan

6 Years Ago

Thank you, glad you liked it ^^
Your description about stuff is great.
Feels like winter's come!;)

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hexan

6 Years Ago

Thank you ^^
I was right there in the forest. Excellent description. Noted one typo, "open are" think you meant "air". Great feel to this one, thanks for the read!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Hexan

6 Years Ago

Ah, yes! Thank you!
Hexan

6 Years Ago

On second thought, I think I meant "area" but good catch nonetheless! :D
This has a nice feel to it.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hexan

6 Years Ago

Thank you!
I need a hot chocolate now!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hexan

6 Years Ago

Everyone always needs hot chocolate. They just don't realise it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

272 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 13, 2017
Last Updated on December 16, 2017

Author

Hexan
Hexan

Sweden



About
Hey! I don't write as much as I should and I don't finish what I write as much as I should. I mostly write fiction and what I find the most fun when writing short stories is getting prompts from fr.. more..

Writing
Fucken' apples Fucken' apples

A Story by Hexan


The Breakup The Breakup

A Story by Hexan


The man The man

A Story by Hexan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..