Requisition

Requisition

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO

I glance down the alleyway in hopes of finding Emery.

 

Nothing. You aren't allowed to have anything that makes you happy. In the end, it just disappears.

 

I bite at my lips, searching for any trace of Emery's vanilla lip gloss. This night is such a disaster. I fidget the keys in my hand in contemplation of just returning home.

 

It's not safe. I need to find Havyn.

 

The breeze sends a chill through my body. Emery unzipped my jacket in the midst of our heated session. I search my pockets for the poster. It's gone.

 

Maybe I dropped it. Did Emery take it? No, she wouldn't. Would she?

 

I run my fingers through my hair in frustration.

 

It's just a piece of paper. I don't need it. I have been in worse situations.

 

A crowd of overly drunk people spills out from the bar, some of them are smiling, a sign of a fun night out with friends. Some, however, are upset that the evening is over; tomorrow will surely return them to their usual mundane routine.

 

I search the front of the bar for a number. The canopy over the door reads 101 Regal Ave.

 

I am on the right street.

 

My father's car stares at me in the empty parking lot. I look down at the keys in my hand and decide to walk to the gym. It occurrs to me that the idea that I could drive could very well be a theory. I should stay on my own two feet.

 

I thrust the keys into my pocket and start to walk down the sidewalk. The street that bustled with life a few hours ago, is now eerily dead. My footsteps bring life to the street, causing a ruckus with the stray animals. The same streetlights that helped me admire Emery, now fail to help me navigate. I pass two buildings with no numbers. Cages cover the front door, eliminating the possibility of either of buildings being my destination. As I reach the corner of the second building, I hear a popping sound and a group of woman screaming.

 

I turn the corner, adrenaline rushing through my veins, only to see the group of woman laughing. 

 

"It's just the damn streetlight again," a woman says, annoyed.

 

"You jumped so high Cindy," another exclaims between giggles.

 

I am instantly annoyed by the childish behavior of the woman, but also by my reaction.

 

Why did I care about their well-being? Was I going to try and save them?

 

I take a deep breath and close my eyes. The giggles seem to be getting farther away now. 

 

"Cin throw this in your gym bag for me please," I hear one of the women say.

 

They ladies get into their vehicles and drive away. I sprint over to the location where the girls were previously standing. In front of me, men and women align the windows running on treadmills. I make my way to the front door to see another poster on the glass. I know I am finally here.

 

The doors open automatically.

 

"Welcome, is it your first time here, sir?" an overly cheerful teenager says greeting me.

 

She’s smiling so hard it makes me uncomfortable. Her name tag says "Lydia," a happy face hidden in the y. I offer back what I hope is a friendly smile, but I know it comes out awkwardly because she stares back puzzled.

 

"I was hoping I could speak with Havyn. I am an old friend," I say warmly.

 

"Absolutely! Wait here, I will go get him," she says.

 

Lydia makes her way into the back office, closing the door behind her. I spot a pair of scissors on the front counter, slide them into my back pocket, and pull my shirt down over the handles.

 

The door opens after what seems like an eternity. Only one person is standing in the doorway.

 

"I am sorry, sir. Havyn must have gone home for the night. Lydia said with a saddened expression on her face. I see her look down at her desk. My body stiffens up in fear.



"Hey!" she looks at me sternly.



I can feel a knot forming in my stomach.



"I can leave him a message," she says, handing me a pen and a softened smile.



"Yea- yeah," I manage to squeak out.



A message would be pointless, what would I even say?

 

I leave a fake name and phone number. This isn’t a phone conversation. I will just come back tomorrow and try again. I thank Lydia for her help and exit the building. My mind starts racing a mile a minute. I wonder how Havyn will react to me. We didn't exactly leave on the best terms, and it's been a long time since I've seen him. It’s hard to know for sure how much time has elapsed between the rounds. I make my way back to the corner to head back towards my car, when I hear a woman yelling at someone.

 

I walk further into the parking lot to see two silhouettes under the streetlight. As I get closer, I can see that one figure is a young woman. She is pointing her index finger at a man that is easily four times her size. Despite the man's size, his posture indicated he is more scared of her than she is of him. I crouch down behind a nearby car to eavesdrop.

 

This had been such a long night. I could use a little comedy.

 

"Do you think I didn't see you checking her out," I hear her snap.

 

"But Carmen, baby I - " the man tries to get out, but his head is quickly bitten off.

 

Here it comes, now he's gonna get it.

 

"Don't you ‘Carmen baby’ me, Havyn you are never going to change!" she says as she pushes the man.

 

I hear a car door slam and a car speed away. I lean my body as close to the car I am hiding behind. The danger of the situation sets in my mind.

 

She said Havyn. He's Havyn.

 

I peek around the corner. Havyn is standing there with his arms on his head, watching Carmen's vehicle speed away. He lets out a frustrated scream as the car disappears. Havyn kicks the cement post holding the streetlight. The sickening noise of the cement cracking causes me to wince.

 

I take a deep breath and reach towards my back pocket. I feel the scissor handles on my fingertips.

 

 


 



© 2016 HeyJadeXO


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm enjoying the story. I will return tonight and read more tonight. You are a very talented writer. You made the story come alive to the reader.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


I had to go back a few chapters to understand this one but it reads smoothly! I need to just start at the beginning! I'm enjoying the chapters I've read so far!
The intensity is strong and I followed it well. The begining moved a bit quick but after I went back to reread the chapter that led up to this one it explained the fast paced beginning. Well done I enjoyed this chapter very much! Excited to find out what happens next!
Tabby

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

336 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 29, 2016
Last Updated on December 12, 2016


Author

HeyJadeXO
HeyJadeXO

West Haven, CT



Writing
Inception Inception

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Personified Personified

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Masquerade Masquerade

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..