Asphyxiate

Asphyxiate

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO

He is distracted. Kill him first.

 

I slide the scissors out of my back pocket. My palms are sweating; my grip tightens.

The man's physique is intimidating, even in the dark. One of his arms is easily the size of my whole body.

 

He is stronger this time. Stealth is my only chance of survival.

 

 I ease myself away from my hiding spot, looking for any potential area on his body to end this in one blow. Given the true enormous size of his body, I am having a difficult time believing his skin is even penetrable. My mind remains in a state of calculation, measuring the approximate distance keeping us apart. 

 

Three steps will seal his fate.

 

My breath morphs into a ghostly white smoke. The chilled air carries my essence toward Havyn as I exhale. Nature is attempting to alert the man to my presence, but he is too distraught to care.

 

 My stride becomes bolder as I close the space between us. However, instead of focusing on my strategy, I imagine the look on his face when the light leaves his eyes, the last sounds of his voice.

 

Will he have any last words?

 

I shake my head, trying to erase these murderous thoughts. The sweating isn't from my nerves, but my eagerness to kill.

 

What's wrong with me? 

 

Instinctively, I raise my right hand with the scissors so high that the sheen of the street lamp kisses the metal. The breeze brushes Havyn's black hair over to the side, selecting my target area for me. I hear the man take a startled breath as I plunge the blade into the side of his neck. Surprisingly, the flesh punctures easily. I step back to wallow in my victory, but my mood dims.

 

The man won't give me the dignity of eye contact. He falls to his knees. This moment is empty.

No scream. No reaction.

 

He reaches up, weakly, to feel around his neck for the source of his pain. Regardless of the grim scene that just unfolded, he is calm. His fingertips are gliding along the handles inquisitively, instead of panicked.

 

I feel murderous.

 

The first kill is when the game begins. It signifies the grace period for a player is over.

 

Havyn's hand drops to his side. His body, now limp, remains motionless. Events will get progressively more dangerous as my search continues. Weapons are scarce; I need to retrieve my scissors.

 

Advancing towards his body turns my composure into trepidation. Even in death, Havyn is frightening.

 

I make my way to the front of his body, startled by the fact he hasn't toppled over by now, but he is still kneeling, eyes closed. I tug on the handles protruding from his wound, they won't budge.

 

The darkness is dangerous. I need to get away from here.

 

I plant my foot on Havyn’s ches,t leaning back with all my body weight. My weapon rips out, causing me to fall. Now, with my scissors removed, I can see the amount of damage. Blood spurts from the wound. A dark red stream embraces Havyn's body, saturating his white tank top. The blood emulates the calming effect one would receive from watching a peaceful brook.

 

Lured in by sight, I lean closer to the wound. My eyes widen in shock when the direction of the blood seems to change. Instead of leaving the wound, now it was entering.

 

Run.

 

My thoughts didn't translate to my feet in time. Havyn’s eyes snap open as he grabs my foot. The concrete scrapes the back of my thighs raw as he drags my body closer.

 

I use my free foot to kick him repeatedly in the side of his face. He loses his grasp. We both scramble to our feet. I attempt to run, but my speed has been injured by the brute force on my foot. I can't keep a steady pace.

 

A tremendous force pushes down on my right shoulder, causing my body to dip. The fall I anticipate to take is interrupted by a hand wrapping itself around my throat. My body is lifted into the air. I frantically kick my feet trying to free myself to no avail. I’m at his mercy.

 

"Not so good in a fist fight are ya?" he says through clenched teeth.

 

Havyn tilts my body around like a ragdoll. He examines my features for some reason.

 

 

I start to black out from the lack of air flowing to my body. I hear what sounds like a rustling piece of paper. I see Havyn fishing around in his pocket, searching for something. He produces a piece of white paper. He shakes his head as he reads it. His angry expression changes into an amused one.

 

'Holy s**t," he says through laughter. "That's you isn't it?"

 

He holds the paper up to me, but it is blank.

 

Is this some joke?

 

I manage to let out a small squeaking noise.

 

"Oh, sorry," he says as he let's go.

 

I stay seated on the ground in confusion, rubbing my throat. The sudden rush of air makes me nauseous.

 

"The paper is blank," I barely manage to get out.

 

Havyn turns the paper back toward himself. I can tell he sees something I cannot.

 

"Fancy," he says as he flashes a million-dollar smile at me.

 

He throws the paper behind him as he approaches me. Immediately, I scurry back.

 

"We could have killed each other," he laughs deeply.

 

Havyn reaches his hand out to me, " Get up dude, We got work to do."

 



© 2016 HeyJadeXO


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

very good paragraph struggle very good sentence structure

Posted 6 Years Ago


The chapter was amazing. I like the deep thoughts above killing and the struggle described. I liked the surprise ending also. A outstanding chapter written my friend.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


I'm going to have to read the rest to get some of the context, but I was surprised how easy it was for me to pick up the dynamic and feel of the story even though its so far in :)

again it's my amateur opinion, so take it with a grain of salt :)

I wish I had the brevity to encapsulate a fight in as few words with the same impact. alas I'm not there yet. the whole scene was blow by blow, clear and concise. reminds me of the fight scene in american god when shadow fights the leprechaun. in terms of structure at least,

my only suggestion which was mentioned to me a few days ago by JayG, is that maybe you should lead your dialogue tags when they speak in a certain way. for example.

"Not so good in a fist fight are ya?" he says through clenched teeth.

as it was suggested to me, you should maybe place that clenched teeth part before he speaks so the reader knows as they speak in their head. there are a couple of other instances where that may also be beneficial, again just saying what I've been told :)

I'm gonna have to check out the rest :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


HeyJadeXO

7 Years Ago

I will check that out thanks for the feedback !

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

416 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 12, 2016
Last Updated on December 16, 2016


Author

HeyJadeXO
HeyJadeXO

West Haven, CT



Writing
Inception Inception

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Personified Personified

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Masquerade Masquerade

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Inception Inception

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Personified Personified

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO