Ebullient

Ebullient

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO

The sight of the large figure makes me shift in my seat. Havyn is a large man, but this person is massive in comparison.My heart quickens. I want to antagonize a chase, but my body won't budge. Nyxia bites her lip in the driver’s seat.
 “Do you know who that is?" She asks.
I can feel the dampness of her palm on my shoulder. I am feeling  relief that the hesitation is united amongst us.My answer is cold.
 "No"
  Her bones crack as she rotates her neck from left to right. Her hand rests on the door handle. She turns meeting my gaze before speaking “We need to help him."
  I contemplate if her statement is in regards to reaching Evan or a sudden concern for Havyn’s wellbeing, regardless of her intentions; I know he can’t handle this alone.  I open my door swinging a leg out before acknowledging her toys in the backseat.
 “Do you need them to fight?”
  Nyxia slides her thumb down her pants igniting her fingers like a match.The green light seeps out from her fingertips. “ I will manage. There are still people inside the building. I have to be cautious about public appearances without a story; they don’t exactly blend in.Bruiser if I am not back in an hour you know what to do”
 “You got it kiddo” he tips his hat.
  We exit the car making our way to the building in pursuit. I count the stairs as we ascend to keep my mind from wandering. The thoughts of what we could be walking into make my mouth dry up instantly. For all, I know Havyn could be injured already, or worse dead. I don’t envision him defeating this other person, truthfully I have a lack of faith we will fare any better. However, we have no choice, without Evan, we can’t win.
The red double doors screech as we enter the school. We struggle to advance in the hallway against the oncoming traffic of teenagers. Some just stare, a few slam into us in haste, and the last group are so glued to a cell phone screen they pay us no mind. Sonorant bells drown out the shrieking voices and the booms of locker doors. I lean my weight onto my toes to peer over the onslaught. A lone book on the ground catches my eye further down the hallway. I tap Nyxia’s shoulder pointing over the horde.
 “Over there!” I yell trying to get her attention.
  She c***s her head to the side mouthing the word “what”. I raise my voice another level trying to compete with the noise level of the hallway. I realize that a final door slam emptied out the hallway and I am now screaming over silence. Nyxia sticks her tongue out at me clearly amused by my ignorance. A sound of glass shattering interrupts my eye roll.
I hold my breath listening for another instance to track the source. We walk a short distance up the hallway before I can hear the sound again.  The door concealing the noise creaks a ghastly noise as I push it open.Havyn's head makes a sickening thud against a laboratory table.The musclebound man is close behind stalking his prey.He picks him up before I can react, tossing him like a  ragdoll.A young boy pokes his head out from the classroom closet revealing his face to examine the noise.
Evan,Make a run for him.
"Get the kid" Nyxia whispers to me as if reading my mind.
A glow emits from the beakers on the table.She motions her hands in the air with fierce movements. The glassware barrages the back of the man's skull.He swats them away as if they are mere mosquitoes.Desperate, I scramble across to the closet.Evan slams the door shut when he sees my progress.
"Leave me alone!" He muffles from behind the door.
"Evan please open the door, We aren't here to hurt you we just -" The sound of Nyxia's wail interrupted my plea.I lose grip on the doorknob turning to locate her.Nyxia's hand shoots to her forehead in an attempt to stop the wound from pouring onto the laboratory table.I gasp my air stolen from me.
"Stupid mage," The man mocks admiring his work.
Get Evan, she can take care of herself.
The selfish nature of my thought startles me.The man lumbers over to Nyxia grabbing a fistful of hair.He pulls her head back violently showing off his trophy.Her veins protrude from the stress.I look at Havyn in hopes he will stir in time to be the hero, but I know he won't make it to help her in time.
'Goodbye pretty" The man taunts.
I can't let her die
My tread is deft as I cross the room, I feel weightless.The scenery turns into unrecognizable blurs yet somehow I feel no wind on my face as they pass my body.Before I knew it I stood in front of Jedrek.His eyes widen at my presence.My fingers sting as I land blow after blow all over Jedrek.The skin on my knuckles peels from the impact.I spread my strikes all over his body searching for any weakness, he stumbles but will not fall.A harsh reality occurs to me.
I'm not strong enough, D****t
I strike harder driven mad from frustration. Jedrek manages to land a blow on my cheek, startling me.The impact forces me to dry heave.My eyesight blackens, but Jedreks laugh inspires me to shake the cobwebs.A third blink reveals him winding up for the next punch.
If I can't hurt him at least I can tire him out
  I exploit his slow movements ducking his strikes rather than landing my own.Sweat beads down his face as his movements start to lack purpose.He lifts his arm high into the air sensing an opportunity I maneuver my body underneath his armpit in an attempt to get behind the man.Jedrek snatches the tail end of my shirt before I reach my destinationThe threads of my shirt tighten on my shoulders cutting into my skin.His hands clasp around onto my stomach.My back is now flush with his chest as he propels me backward over his head into the closet door.Small splinters from the wood impale into my spine.
Jedrek lumbers over to me admiring the damage he's caused.I desperately crawl away from the closet trying to get him away from Evans hiding spot.I feel his boot press into my side forcing me onto my back.His hand wraps around my neck as he hoists my body up carrying me over to the window.
"Let's see if you can fly" he laughs.
His words confirm my worst fears.I squeeze my eyes shut preparing for the fall.I hear running water in the distance before Jedrek releases me suddenly. My body slams to the ground.I lift my head in enough time to see Evan holding a baseball bat, but this wasn't any baseball bat.
Water?
Evan takes a swing at Jedrek's face.The water splashes all over the boys face.Jedrek cracks his knuckles advancing on the boy.Evan shuffles backward pleading with the man .Jedrek's punch misses his target as Nyxia tackles Evan pulling him into her.
"Ares!" Havyn hollers at me.
I look up in time to see Havyn rushing Jedrek.I realize what he is trying to accomplish.I anchor my body behind the man on all fours.The glass shatters all over my body when havyns arm makes contact with Jedrek's throat.I hear the sickening thud of his body smashing into a car below.Evans whining breaks the silence.
"Get off of me !" He struggles to get away from Nyxia's grip.
Nyxia lets go of him in exhaustion.I expect him to attempt to run away however he walks over to me lowering himself to my face, looking it over in curiosity.
"You look different," he comments.
"Evan, you remember me?" I stammer.
"You were in my dream a couple times, hm perhaps my experiment did work"  his eyes widen."Maybe the girl is here too".
Evan runs over to his backpack.He rips a notebook out of his bag, holding the pages up to his face.Havyn nudges me pointing outside the broken window.I mentally prepare myself for the gruesome scene, but Jedrek's body is gone.All that remains is the caved-in roof of the unfortunate vehicle below.He pats my shoulder before walking over to Evan.
"Hey," he says
Evan ignores him continuing to read his notebook.Havyn snatches the notebook out his hands.he squints at the writing in the notebook.Evan jumps in the air trying to grab the book back.
"Give that back,all of my reseacrh is in there." he whines.
"Not until you answer some questions" Havyn fires back.
Evan takes a seat on the labratory stool.He stares at Havyn.Before Havyn manages to speak a word I cut him off asking a few questions of my own.
"You mentioned I was in one of your dreams with a girl.What are you talking about?
"I know what I dreamt about as a teenager" Havyn lets out a snicker.
Evan clears his throat loudly.
"Not so much you in a physical sense but your name.My mind never had a clear picture of what you would look like.Anyway, I created a machine to map my brain activity to see if television was a stimulus but mom said my mind is entirely too active and I play way too many video games, but truthfully if she would just let me- 
"What is the girl's name" I cut his rant off.
"oh right,um Lily, well Lillianna to be exact" he answers
My eyes drop to the floor.Nyxia touches my shoulder.
"Evan,you need to come with us" Nyxia says 
" I appreciate your efforts miss with the rather large man,but I quite frankly just met you.So that wouldn't be wise on my behalf." he slides off his stool grabbing his backpack before making his way outside of the classroom.I place my hand on havyns stomach to stop him from following the boy.
"Dude, you are going to let him leave after all that!" he yells at me.
Sirens echo from below the window.I peek my head out in time to see multiple vehicles parking next to the destroyed vehicles.
Police.
"We will come up with another plan but for now we need to leave" 
The hallway seems much longer than before.As we near the exit the double doors burst open.Evan scampers desperately to Nyxias waist like a scolded toddler.
"Hide me, please" his body is 
Nyxia's places her hand lightly on the boys shoulder glancing over at the lockers behind her.Havyn swings the locker door before she can react shoving Evan inside mid-protest.Havyn places his index finger to his lips peering through the vents.
Police officers barge into the hallway with guns drawn swarming us.A man approaches from the back line of the group lifting his badge to my face.
"Detective Reiken, I need some ID" he demands
I run my hands all over my pants pretending to look for an ID I was sure I didn't have. Nyxia takes a step in front of me lifting what appeared to be a business card.The sunlight showing through the card revealed no letters.
What is she doin?
She waves her hand over the card.Reiken looks at the card closer before pushing it away.
"Looks legitimate.I have bigger fish to fry so to speak.Did you see a young boy possibly 15,16 lanky big glasses run through here?He resembles a -"
"Nerd." Havyn blurts.
 The detective lets out a small laugh.He pats Havyn's shoulder in a fatherly manner.
"Did he do something?" Nyxia fishes for information.
"Not at liberty to say ma'am"
"A kid ran past us just a few minutes ago, he went that way" I point to the end of the hallway.sweat beads from my forehead as I do my best to avoid Reiken's eyes.
"Alright, but you kids need to leave, This is officially a crime scene" he twists his lips.


© 2017 HeyJadeXO


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I thought the story was great. However, there was places in your writing that were a little wordy. With some sentence variation (length) it might help with flow. And with more sentence variation you can put more emphasis on main ideas in your writing. You'll be able to draw the reader's attention more effectively.

Thank you for sharing! An enjoyable read!
~J

Posted 6 Years Ago


I like mystery.. This one is perfect.

Sincerely,
CAPOLAVORO

Posted 6 Years Ago


I've read it last night but didn't review
Sorry for that...
Though this is a great story..lovely and well penned

Posted 6 Years Ago


A wild chapter. I liked the way you set-up the scenes. Allowed the characters to have life and purpose because of the good use of description. A wild ending to the amazing chapter.
Coyote

Posted 6 Years Ago


damn,this is a great story,loved it !

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

431 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 17, 2017
Last Updated on August 21, 2017


Author

HeyJadeXO
HeyJadeXO

West Haven, CT



Writing
Inception Inception

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Personified Personified

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO


Masquerade Masquerade

A Chapter by HeyJadeXO



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


serenity serenity

A Poem by Latifa