A Widows Request

A Widows Request

A Poem by Gee
"

So many find it so hard to be around the newly bereaved.

"
Please come visit, often, as before...
bring no gifts, flowers, only friendship.
Bring not trepidation or awkwardness,
as it is circumstance and not I that have changed.
Bring me not your sadness and heavy heart,
as these at present I own by right.
Instead bring memories,
memories of good times spent.
Speak his name but without hesitation or fear,
as that will never die unless allowed.
Reminisce with stories, laughter, smiles,
and this will be my comfort.
And if you do this he will live on,
in our hearts and minds.
Please come visit, and often...

© 2019 Gee


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I agree wholeheartedly with your view on this. We are all destined to become past tense, so for myself, I would much rather be remembered with laughter and good feelings, not tears. An excellent poem, Gee.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Thanks Samuel
This is beautifully poignant and a lesson to all. How often , I have heard from bereaved people that "friends" and neighbours will avoid contact with them out of embarrassment. If there was affection, then share it. It comes to us all eventually.
Norman


Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Indeed it does,thanks Norman
Simple requests with a lasting friendship to comfort...live on with this kindness & sharing values.
Nice little poem about what counts in life!


Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Thank you...
Josie E. Cook M. A.

8 Years Ago

You are welcome.
I really liked this poem simply because I do not view death as sad thing. I view it as a good thing because those who have passed, have passed on to a better world. A better place. And how can you not be happy for them? There is much awkwardness too when dealing with newly widowed. I work in a hospital and my heart twinges every time I ask a patient what their spouse does and they say they have died. Yes it is sad becuase they are no longer down here with us, but they will forever live through the memories that we share and in our hearts and dreams. Beautiful poem. thank you for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind words
A very dear friend of mine was recently widowed, and I appreciate this so much because she has lately been expressing these feelings. A great piece of work! Thank you for sharing!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Sorry to hear that.Thank you for your kind comments
It is interesting how we treat the bereaved. As if they are made of glass. I suspect it is us who are made of glass... we can't stand to be reminded that there but for the grace of God and we could so easily be in their shoes. Nice work, here.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Thank you Elizabeth
Profoundly insightful; eloquently expressed.
High-level stuff in my book, Gee.
Excellent!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Cheers Jimmy
wow, this is such a lovely poem. beautifully written. i can totally relate since my mum is a widow and she is always complaining about how people treat you different,you put it perfectly, it is circumstance and not i that has changed. loved every single line. well done dear.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Thank you cycy
Poignant and bittersweet!
Great job!!


Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Thanks Terry
How sad and sweet... I agree that it's difficult to speak to someone you feel is emotionally beyond your reach. You lack the words to say, so you try to avoid seeing them, to avoid that awful "I'm sorry for your loss..." that always ends in such awkward silence. I get it, and this poem does, too. You are a phenomenal writer.

On a side note, you said "wil" rather than "will" in "this will be my comfort". I hate to point such a thing out, but I try to give notice to things I usually want noticed in my own works.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Gee

8 Years Ago

Thank you Briana,a very kind review.Please feel free to point out mistakes with grammar,spelling,as .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3005 Views
53 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on September 15, 2015
Last Updated on July 19, 2019
Tags: Widow, friendship, heartache, sadnesd

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..