In An Instant

In An Instant

A Story by Gee
"

How life can change oh so quickly

"
I sat quietly watching her. She drank coffee whilst flicking through a gossipy magazine, pausing briefly every now and again to read a few lines or study a photo. I smiled to myself remembering our meeting, the pair of us worse for wear, booze, in a crowded Tenerife bar. We pretty much spent the whole of the next week together, drinking, laughing, loving.
When back in the UK 400 miles separated us , Scotland her home, England mine. As promised, a letter, the first of many written by, lay waiting on her return from holiday (she had stayed on for an extra week ). I told her over and over how much I loved her, missed her, needed her, and that one day we would be married. That was June 1991.
October 1991 she moved down to be at my side. We married in October 1993.
Our daughter was born in November 2000, her mother's double. Beautiful, funny, clever, a most warm, generous human being, the Apple, orchard of my eye. Life has been nothing but great....25years of bliss.

" Have you any regrets " she once asked me, meaning of our life together.

" Only that we didn't meet earlier."

The doorbell rang. She placed the magazine on the cushion beside her.

" Mrs Jacky Stevenson " asked the young policeman.

" Yes, is there something wrong ? "

" Can we come inside Jacky" asked the young WPC.

As I left, she sat in stunned silence.......





© 2018 Gee


Author's Note

Gee
Hope you enjoyed. This is very much true to my life (apart from my demise.... obviously)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was quite a nice little story, I enjoyed it. Guess Discover isn't half bad.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Gee

5 Years Ago

Cheers Nick
25 years of bliss indeed.

"only that we didn't meet earlier"

Lucky you.

Posted 5 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Gee

5 Years Ago

So lucky.
Thank you David
The story was in the first person so I didn't understand the last 5 rows!
The last line made no sense at all (Until I saw your lines underneath!) but then I am a literal person who takes what I see/hear as it is. So now we need some more to carry it on please!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Rosa S

6 Years Ago

LOL! No, you cannot be! I want to know the WHOLE story!! ;-)
Gee

6 Years Ago

I'm a mid 50's stubborn old shite.....sorry :)
Rosa S

6 Years Ago

So am I - just female version! Nah, not to worry I have my own stories to write now! Concentration t.. read more
I really enjoyed this piece! I read it over and over enjoying each moment. so moving.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Thank you..
Drew me in from the beginning. The ending lost me a bit before I read your authors note. I didn't get that the narrator had died, I just knew someone had died. Other than that well done.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Thank you..
This is so cute along with well written. It's like the characters are directly in front of me. The ending also has a wonderful but heart-wrenching twist

Posted 6 Years Ago


This was good. Even though it was quite short it felt like a full blown book. I read this a few times.

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Thank you..
The flow was great, characters realistic. Is this the beginning of a longer story? I would certainly read on!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

I'm far to lazy to try and write a book. Thank you
I really liked how stunned I was at the ending and how I had to read it again. I thought I knew what it was about until I saw the tag of death then read the comments. My interpretation was completely different.



Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Thank you Martha
I enjoy the unknowingness of the end, however, I would like to know more of the moment. Enhance the dialogue of the story with the -show, don't tell- method.
Like, how did she set the magazine down? what was the tone of the officer? what was her tone when she asked what is wrong? what prompted you to leave and why?

Posted 6 Years Ago


Gee

6 Years Ago

Hmmm, don't know whether that is good or bad
S. Elizabeth

6 Years Ago

Where do you see, in your writing, that draws the reader to that conclusion?
(I'm not trying .. read more
Gee

6 Years Ago

To be honest I write quickly, post, then leave it to the reader. Most of the other reviewers managed.. read more

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2235 Views
33 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 20, 2017
Last Updated on March 20, 2018
Tags: Love, life, death

Author

Gee
Gee

Milton keynes, United Kingdom



About
Devoted family man and lover of life. Simply written, easily understood "stuff" for those without code breaking skills. You will NEVER need Google to understand me:) more..

Writing
Valentine Valentine

A Poem by Gee



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..