To D.C. And Back Again

To D.C. And Back Again

A Chapter by Horselvvr
"

A description of the main characters and their lives.

"

Chloe and Zoey, the Parshnipper’s 10 year old twins, skipped through the yard hand in hand. They giggled. Ah, that giggle. It was so carefree and happy. The girls weren’t afraid of anything, not really. Then again, there was the forest. Ever since the girls had disappeared into the forest 5 years ago, they had never touched the forest, or even go near it. But, of course, that was understandable. 

     Let me take you now to Washington, D.C.  

Every year, all the children who were chosen managed to convince their parents to take them to Washington, D.C.  There, they all somehow met in a room without their parents knowing or being present. Each year, they shared questions and comments about when they would be called to service, but no one really knew when they would be chosen.In the room there were 100 children, specifically 50 sets of girl-girl, boy-boy, or boy-girl twin combinations. All were eleven or twelve years old. All of them had parents that were rich. Except for one pair of twins, who not only had parents who where poor, they had no parents at all.  

  Nicole and Noel hurried back to the shelter of their beloved woods, and more specifically, their carefully hidden tree house. Actually, tree mansion was more like it. It was a huge structure, and they had found it in perfect shape and hadn’t had to make any improvements. To make money for food and other necessities, they worked odd jobs in the town. There was a creek right by the massive tree that held their house, with a perfect swimming pool for bathing and cooling off. Even though they did all kinds of odd jobs, every year the trip to D.C. almost completely stripped the orphan’s funds. That’s why they hid a little bit of money in several places that they would go every once in a while, but not often enough to remember every single second where the money was and be tempted to take it.  

   Saturday was always the girl's main job day. They always got lots of jobs that day,and they were good ones too. When they got jobs picking in fruit orchards, they were given a small amount of fruit, which they either froze in a special spot in the creek, or at it, but they froze most of it so they would have food for the winter. They did other odd jobs where they were paid by food or money.

   The girls also made sure to set aside time to do something fun on Saturdays. Near their tree house, the was a rocky structure they loved to climb. This certain Saturday, they ran towards it giggling. They climbed it quickly and decided today they would explore the new cave they had seen last week. Noel looked around, then nodded to Nicole and they cautiously but giddily entered the cave.There wasn't much in the cave, but it was cool and the were natural shelf-like structures in one wall. The girls exchanged looks. " Refrigerator material?" Nicole asked. Noel nodded. "Let's go get some food now!" They ran back to the tree house and each filled a bucket with food that need to be chilled but not frozen.As they were about to walk out of the cave, they heard a noise. Noel ran out of the cave, silently dropping her bucket. Was that a flash of black? She went around the corner, but didn't see anything. Noel went back and shrugged to her sister. "We'll just have to keep an eye out tonight..." Nicole nodded her agreement and they cautiously headed back        



© 2013 Horselvvr


Author's Note

Horselvvr
Please post ideas to help my writing and how you liked this!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

238 Views
Added on January 30, 2013
Last Updated on February 1, 2013


Author

Horselvvr
Horselvvr

About
I love horses, all other animals, reading and writing. Excited to be on this website1 more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Horselvvr