Last Song

Last Song

A Story by HoWiE
"

All I'm going to say is don't scroll to the bottom first... you'll spoil the surprise, lol.

"
     Pale patchy mist clung to the gradually sloping sides of the Mutia Escarpment wreathing the forestry and bottoming out in the craggy basin below. Steadily, fingers of searching sunlight began to grasp and haul back the day. A flock of birds took sudden flight. Jagged black shapes burst through the verdant canopy and were highlighted against the cinnamon skyline; their abrupt chorus jarring and harsh against dawn�s cool tranquillity.
     Beneath the threaded branches, Aisha stumbled drunkenly through the jungle. Her feet dragged and tripped and snagged in the twisting vines, her breathing ragged and laboured. The dense foliage slapped and scratched at her skin as she bouldered through, crashing against crooked tree boles and heaving beneath low slung boughs. Her vision danced and flared as fractured light filtered through the canopy and dazzled her eyes.

Photobucket

     She paused a while, leaning heavily against a stout log, swaying with the exertion of flight as exhaustion dragged at her limbs and numbed her mind. Sucking in stout lungfuls of air she fought for composure and waited for the dizziness to abate. Her skin was grey, mud splattered and leathery, her eyes dull and lustreless, her sight diminished by age. She flicked wearily at the flies that buzzed and dived at her seeking the dewy moisture around her eyes. Something cracked in the shadowy stillness of the undergrowth and the twisting thrill of fear sparked her flight mechanism once again. Barrelling forward, she trampled over the lush vegetation, pushing on blindly, seeking, and fearing that she her destination was out of reach.
     Aisha thrust herself through a wall of dense undergrowth, crashing through it and pressing onwards, focussing her efforts into spearpoint determination. And then, almost imperceptibly and without prelude it was there. The faintest of sounds, a hushed whisper that haunted the edge of the world. A calling. A song.
     They were closer than she had anticipated; old age and sickness had dulled her senses but there they were. Those who sung in the forest. Her heart lurched in her chest and something deep down in the pit of her belly knotted and rolled. With each tentative step, taken so gently as not to break the spell of the song, Aisha brushed aside the greenery and made her way down into the basin. With each footfall, the song rolled and travelled across the dripping vines, looping upwards and snaking in the sultry air.

     The terrain plunged and dipped; the hidden track becoming slick with fallen leaves, soft earth and rainwater. Aisha followed it steadfastly, her large ochre eyes fixated upon an unseen point ahead. Broad glossy leaves were bent back to reveal a deep valley lake bordered by steep banks and liana drenched trees. The song was at its most vibrant here, crashing, triumphant and tumultuous. Aisha let the sound wash over her, bathing in it before she moved forward.
     Nestling against the furred bole of a giant fern tree, Aisha came to rest. She stared out across the lake and watched the golden fringe of a new sun begin to play upon its surface. She thought briefly, but without sadness, of her children and knew that they would fare well; it had been a long journey, such a time since she had seen them last. The flies continued to buzz but now she paid them little heed. Her eyes flickered once, tracing the long curving shapes of the bones and hooked tusks that littered the basin, rejoicing in how as sunlight touched each one that the ivory seemed to change momentarily to gold.
     Exhausted beyond compare, Great Mother Aisha of the Herd closed her eyes and allowed her breathing to trail away. She was home.


Get this widget | Track details | eSnips Social DNA




Photobucket

Music courtesy of Nightwish.

© 2008 HoWiE


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I am myself a lover of elephants and have been present at the birth and sadly the death of one also..I'll tell you about it later if you want. This is a great tribute to them. I'm going to share this with my coworkers. They will love it.
Thanks Howie...

Carla

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A wonderful piece of flash fiction. Congrats on this winning piece!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautifully descriptive and very well written. Your words hold me captive, which is something I can't say for most. I always enjoy reading your work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Love the descriptions -- you painted the surroundings with such detail - it gives the reader a sense they are Aisha in that moment - wonderful surprise that she is an elephant....filled with thoughts and emotions - although we humans prefer those things are only
characteristics of our own species and the rest of the earth's living things are dumb and numb.

Do not take offense to this, I think this would be a wonderful accelerated reading story for older children - not adolescents particularly,
but 9-10 year olds perhaps....as the vocabulary fits with the curriculum....for those higher acheiving children that is.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

hia howie my mummy showed me your elephant story i love it............................from tilly age 8

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thanx for the warning, I scrolled down slowly not to spoil he ending and I am glad I did. This is an amazing write, and I really enjoyed reading it. Such a beautiful animal deserves something this beautiful. XX

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You have great talent sir. From the horror of "Piglet" to the drama of "What am I doing here?" to the descriptive power of your words here, I always, always, always enjoy your words. Do you have aspirations to find your way onto the sleves of bookstores? Or do you write for the sheer joy of writing?

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Absolutely beautiful and typical of the sentimental Howie's style. Happy to see you writing again.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I am myself a lover of elephants and have been present at the birth and sadly the death of one also..I'll tell you about it later if you want. This is a great tribute to them. I'm going to share this with my coworkers. They will love it.
Thanks Howie...

Carla

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

What a lovely tribute you've written to one of the most intelligent animals on earth. Tho the outcome was inevitable and sad, you've crafted the possibilities with extreme dignity and care. Very well done. Thank you!

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Nice job, Howie. I love the pics you used too.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

533 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 22, 2008

Author

HoWiE
HoWiE

Plymouth,, Devon, United Kingdom



About
Well, I'm back - it only took 8 years to get over my writer's block! Now 47, older, wiser and, for some reason, now a teacher having left the Armed Forces in 2012. The writing is slow going but .. more..

Writing
Jim Ad Infinitum Jim Ad Infinitum

A Story by HoWiE


Reboot Reboot

A Story by HoWiE



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Hills Hills

A Poem by Emily B


Beauty in Repose Beauty in Repose

A Story by HoWiE