A Strange State of Affairs Ch. 1

A Strange State of Affairs Ch. 1

A Chapter by IAmGhost120
"

A girl, newly orphaned, attempts suicide and ends up turning into a cat. A series of strange events leads her to the land of Kor in which she encounters even more unexpected events.

"

It was December thirtieth, and the airport was bustling with people.  Men and women sped about, juggling suitcases and children as they walked.  Flight attendants yawned, exhausted from the long flights.  The roar of planes periodically startled the commuters, while pilots looked tiredly over their club sandwiches and longed for vacations.

            Children waiting before each gate plastered their running noses to the viewing glass, while nervous mothers took one look at the monstrous plane turbines �" too close!! - and summoned them back with shrill voices.

            No one saw the cat, long and lean, as it slunk aboard Flight 107 bound for Eastern Kor.  It stalked up the ramp disappeared quickly into the cargo bay. 

Of course, no one would have thought her to be anything but a cat.

            Her name was Elevine, and she was human.  Her parents had died but a week ago; she had pleaded for death.  This, by far, was much worse. 

            She’d returned home after the funeral in a gloom.  Her father had become ill during one of his business trips north.  Her mother, worried, had driven him to the nearby hospital.  They never reached their destination. Her father breathed his last in the car; her mother died of grief.  No relatives were left to console El, and no one was to adopt her.  She was forced to give up her dreams of college to take a job at a bar nearby (an occupation which she had neither the physique nor the patience for).  She quit after three days �" life in the slums would be better than the boorish atmosphere she had suffered through at “work” �" and resolved to die.

            And so, she’d gone to bed late that night, wrapped in the colors of mourning.  She swallowed half a bottle of pills, laid herself down upon her lonely bed, and felt her heart slowing…slowing…slowing…

            Then she had woken up in the morning as a cat, sleek and black.  Meowing distressingly, she had prowled over to the bathroom and leapt, light as a feather, upon the sink to gaze at her face in the mirror �" behold, whiskers!!  She twitched her ears and arched her tail, black pupils dilating at the movement. 

            What had happened?  Was it something in the medicine?  Was this a dream?  Elevine hung around the house for a day.  She had planned to stay forever, for the rest of her natural life, until the men had shown up.  They wore black suits and spoke in loud voices, tromping up the stairs without bothering to place their shoes outside.  They had spoken of renovation, of fixing up and selling the house.  They had laughed at her father, mocked him, called him a fool �" and she had hidden under her bed, shivering, as they walked by and fingered her every belonging.  She could not stay; she had to leave.

            Elevine had made the two-day trek to the airport by herself, and now she lay on a stack of rugs in the cargo bay of a plane bound for Eastern Kor.  She knew her father had business holdings there and summer houses built as gifts by happy clients. 

            Eastern Kor was the place to be.  The people were genial and the music was tolerable.  If she were to truly die, that would be the place. 

            The plane departed, and the parcels within the bay shifted minutely as the craft shot into the air and ascended; it would land in Kor approximately eight hours from takeoff.  Elevine sank her claws into the fluff of the stack of carpets she had chosen as a bed, kneading it just so with her paws before lying down �" she had never understood this odd behavior of cats until now.  The cargo bay was musty with an odd stench, but it was quiet and allowed for a modicum of peace.  Her paws throbbed sorely from her trek to the airport, and her eyelids grew steadily heavier.  Within moments, she was asleep.

 



© 2012 IAmGhost120


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

wow, really detailed. gave me a thorough picture in my mind of the scene. it was a really great start. the only thing that i saw to be a bit bothersome was the use of big, huge words every sentence or two. it kind of ruins the flow. don't get me wrong, big fancy words are good, and i congratulate your amazing vocabluary, but i think just a few less of those words wouldn't be a bad idea. but your story, your call. just my opinion. overall, i liked it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is amazing! I am going to read EVERY single Chapter! Such a unique idea and AMAZING description.

Posted 11 Years Ago


IAmGhost120

11 Years Ago

Really? I'm so glad you like it; thanks so much!!
ahahaha I love this and can't wait to read more :)
My favorite line: "Men and women sped about, small children and a battalion of suitcases in tow, trying to find their flight gates." This is mostly for the battalion of suitcases part :P

Posted 11 Years Ago


Good! But every once and a while you put a -"-, and it makes no sense XD But still, great work

Posted 12 Years Ago


wow, really detailed. gave me a thorough picture in my mind of the scene. it was a really great start. the only thing that i saw to be a bit bothersome was the use of big, huge words every sentence or two. it kind of ruins the flow. don't get me wrong, big fancy words are good, and i congratulate your amazing vocabluary, but i think just a few less of those words wouldn't be a bad idea. but your story, your call. just my opinion. overall, i liked it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a very interesting start. I like the way you know that their are unfamiliar feelings you have to work hard on so they can get on paper. Oh, and awesome details!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

448 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 13, 2011
Last Updated on August 15, 2012
Tags: A Strange State of Affairs, animals, romance, unconventional romance, uncliche romance, Fye, Elevine, Kor


Author

IAmGhost120
IAmGhost120

About
So. You wanna know stuff about me, huh. Well, I'm a human, and I'm alive. I live on Planet Earth, which is in the Milky Way, and I live on a large landmass surrounded by ocean. I have a nose, two .. more..

Writing
Clay Clay

A Story by IAmGhost120