Smiling Jack.

Smiling Jack.

A Story by Ian Chris
"

A short story which shows a visit to the cinema can be something else.

"

Smiling Jack.


Naila went to the ladies room when the film was over. She would only be a minute. I waited in the foyer. People were lining up for the next show. The usher came out of the auditorium carrying a black plastic bag full of popcorn cups. He stuffed in the bin, folded his arms and stood looking at the new audience.

We started talking. I told him about a guy I knew in the army. He was a little guy, I said. He wore gold rimmed glasses and was always squinting and frowning. He always fainted on road marches, failed inspection and always pulled extra duty at weekends.

He never talked. The sergeants liked to pick on him.

"Hey smiley, hey laughing boy".

One called him Smiling Jack.

"Smiling Jack, why are you always frowning ? Why do you screw up ? The name stuck.

The usher nodded. He was listening.

"We finished basic," I said " and moved to new outfits. Everyone got leave and went home. He broke into the barracks and hanged himself from a rafter over his old cot".

The usher shoo his head.

"I thought it was going to be a funny story", he said.

I shrugged.

"Just a story", I said.

Naila came out of the ladies room. Her eyes were red. She had a tissue in her hand. Ralph", she said, "I've been thinking. It's over  with us. Our relationship is a farce. We're finished. You know it, I know it. I'm in love with Leon. I 've called him. He's coming over to pick me up. We're going to  his parents place in Cornwall. This is better for us. We might see each other." She kissed him on the cheek. "Don't worry, I'll call.

She went out the exit door.

"Damn", I said.

The usher put his hands to his face.

"I can't take this'", he said.  "Bad luck everyday. Sick people., sad people, lonely people. Last week a guy died in the middle of Shriek. A young guy, can you believe that ?"

"Listen", he said, "putting his hand on my arm. "A month ago this friend published a short story. He put me in it. All these thing were going on, you know important things.  And who am I ? He makes this guy come out of a building, lights a cigarette and walks down the street. That's it. That was me, he said. The man in the shadows".

I patted his shoulder. The line of people waiting for the film had grown. I looked at the crowd  and felt afraid.


END. 

© 2018 Ian Chris


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

169 Views
Added on December 11, 2017
Last Updated on March 17, 2018

Author

Ian Chris
Ian Chris

London, United Kingdom



Writing
Ghost. Ghost.

A Story by Ian Chris


Retain. Retain.

A Poem by Ian Chris