Ah, To Float in My Boat

Ah, To Float in My Boat

A Poem by Erudite
"

This is a philosophical poem, referencing plato's allegory of the cave, Shakespeare's "To Be or Not To Be" and also a letter by Hunter S. Thompson on how to find your purpose in life.

"

I'm a little bit above and a pinch behind 
Though I'm no genius, rest assured I have a mind.
In the form of pondering, a gift from the heavens I've received.
It is my only blessing I haven't squandered, it would seem.

But to have a developed mind in a time such as this,
and in a land where money Trumps wits,
is like carrying hundreds of gems around in a gilded box
while those surrounding you can't distinguish diamonds from rocks.

So, once again I'm left on the shore gazing out to sea,
As my thoughts crystallize, losing fluidity.
I consider how pragmatic it is to simply float.
Instead of swimming to nowhere, why not enjoy your boat?

Because for every great man who changes this planet, there has surely been at least one who has seen change as futile. And for everyone who has received unprecedented commendations, stood on a giant's shoulders and looked past the horizon, I'm certain there was one who lived modestly.

For every explorer who braved the uncharted seas in search of terra nova, there has also been a person delighted to simply float, and enjoy their boat.

So while you all sit, staring at the wall of a cave,
awarding each other "Shadow-Seeing Accolades",
I'll meander the forest, and sway with the trees.
I'll always remind myself the better choice is to be.

© 2017 Erudite


Author's Note

Erudite
You can read Hunter S. Thompson's letter here: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2016/07/your-type-is-dime-dozen.html

Please rate and review!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a surprising read. I thought it was going one way, but then it apparently revealed some political inklings, and yet mostly staying in philosophical mode. I was also surprised by the way this goes from poetry to prose & back for a final stanza. I can't decide how that aspect reads for me, really. But I like unusual things WAY more than predictable stuff.

During most of the verse parts, your rhyme & rhythm captures some amazingly catchy aspects that don't resemble anything I'm familiar with, yet it's easily glommed onto, to figure out how to get on the lyrical roll. Again, kudos for originality.

Most of all, I totally relate to your core message & that's how I've tried to live my life, even tho it's tempting to go on a rant about this Trumpian s**t all the time, but I can't let his bully pulpit antics change how I've decided to comport myself.

Excellent on many levels . . .

Posted 6 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

A very stunning and captivating piece! Nicely penned

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a surprising read. I thought it was going one way, but then it apparently revealed some political inklings, and yet mostly staying in philosophical mode. I was also surprised by the way this goes from poetry to prose & back for a final stanza. I can't decide how that aspect reads for me, really. But I like unusual things WAY more than predictable stuff.

During most of the verse parts, your rhyme & rhythm captures some amazingly catchy aspects that don't resemble anything I'm familiar with, yet it's easily glommed onto, to figure out how to get on the lyrical roll. Again, kudos for originality.

Most of all, I totally relate to your core message & that's how I've tried to live my life, even tho it's tempting to go on a rant about this Trumpian s**t all the time, but I can't let his bully pulpit antics change how I've decided to comport myself.

Excellent on many levels . . .

Posted 6 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

I am... In awe of this type of poetry... Very classy and fantastic to read... The metaphors and meter with rhyme are absolutely on point... Crystallizing fluidity within pragmatic boxes full of foxes and trump roses... Haha... I may not be privy to some of the references... But stunning work... Independently penned... Hopefully we can see the diamonds through our pens...

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

545 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 3, 2017
Last Updated on June 3, 2017
Tags: Philosophy, Existentialism, Plato, Prose, Rhyme, Enlightenment, Sociology

Author

Erudite
Erudite

Riverside, CA



About
Greetings, reader. Please do enjoy this music I've prepared for you, and don't be too bashful to take a peek at some of my writings. My poem titled "Ah, To Float in My Boat" is one of my personal .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..