Summer Summer Summer Tiiiime

Summer Summer Summer Tiiiime

A Story by Nicole Hellene
"

so just sit back and unwind

"

 

Summer summer summer tiiime

Summer songs on the big boom box played 90’s songs for the 90’s kids. Songs that no kid remembers today, but when it comes on the radio, it’s like “HEY! They’re playing that song!”

“Oh my gosh, do you remember that song!”

I do-on’t know what they want from me it’s like the mo’ money we come across the mo’ problems we see!

An’ nobody knew what the heck those words meant, but heck, we knew how the words went. An’ I remember humming a tune, in mid June when the apple blossoms were in bloom, while the five of us all walked down the east-coast suburb street in our glo-shoes that lit up at the heels, an’ our cherry slush-puppies in our nimble Nintendo-playing hands.

It was me, Nikki, Ryan, Allan, and Matt, lip-syncing to songs in Frackville, PA. Population: 800. Temperature: 90 degrees farnhayte, but Memorial Pool was down Balliot Street and Oriel Park had the merry-go-round where the teenage boys would come spin it so fast that we all puked up our slush puppies, swearing at them as they pointed and laughed. They tried to give us rides home a few times, but we remembered what my Grandma said about not taking rides from people we didn’t know. So they always just drove away blasting rap songs really loud.

Cuz tha boyz in tha hood are always hard, ya come talking that trash, we’ll pull yo’ card, knowin’ nuthin in life but to be legit, don’t quote me boy I aint said nuthin yet.

An’ most of the time we didn’t disobey my Grams, but I remember when all the older kids came out on their bikes. I borrowed Allen’s old bike with the aluminum frame an’ we rode all the way up past the highway into Coalville, then stopped at the liquor store for pop and water. I dunno how some of the older kids got beer, they sure didn’t look 18. There had to be at least like fifty of us, or maybe 13, that parked our bikes in a line outside the arcade where we split all the quarters we had. There was a Jukebox in the arcade, an’ I dunno what a Jukebox was ever doing in an arcade, but there was a song on there that I really liked for some reason.

Don't go chasin' waterfalls, please stick to the rivers and the lakes that yo' used to. I know that yo' gonna have it yo' way or nuthin at all, but I think yo' moving too fast

An’ at the end of the day when it was dark, we all rode back an' hung out at the Gully for a little while, which was this patch of forest that had all these abandoned buildings that our parents told us never to go into. I remember sitting next to Allan Zimmerman as he was drinking a beer one of the older kids gave him. He was all sweaty with his long, blonde hair sticking to his face, an’ I remember him asking me if I wanted to kiss him. But I was too shy and I just made a face and said “eww.” So he just held my hand instead, an’ it didn’t feel that cold out anymore in my short sleeve summer tee.

That summer, Nikki, Ryan, Matt, and Allan Zimmerman all said goodbye to me as my parents packed up all our stuff and moved me off to California. On our way to the airport, a song was playing on the radio.

I wish they all could be California, I wish they all could be California Girrrrrls.

I haven’t seen Allan since. Nikki’s 20 now, an’ I guess I’m doing okay too. But whenever that song comes on, I think of sitting next to Allan in the Gully, and wondering what it would have been like to kiss and tell.

Summer summer summer tiiime

© 2008 Nicole Hellene


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

"tis always summer in the best memories

Posted 15 Years Ago


Ah yes, the ode to summer and kisses never kissed. Thank you for a nice little piece to warm my heart on a chilly evening.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

494 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 24, 2008
Last Updated on April 24, 2008

Author

Nicole Hellene
Nicole Hellene

UCLA, CA



About
Makin money. If you want to fix the Cafe, go to this group. Good Luck: What's Wrong With Writerscafe?1 Members What Would You Change About Writerscafe?Apr 7, 2009 - Jun 7, 2009 more..

Writing