Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by DivergentObessed

 I woke up to the beeping of my alarm. I raise from my bed. Bed? I don't remember going to bed yesterday. I roll my eyes. Must have been my stupidity taking over me. Anyway, it's the last day I'm gonna be here, and it isn't time for superfluous thoughts.

   I get up and head towards the bathroom. I look around. Polished squared floors of marble, shiny clean sink, white tub, and a toilet. I close my eyes and take in the scent. Coconut lime soap, just how I like it. I reopen my eyes and reach for my toothbrush. I apply the minty toothpaste ans stick it in my mouth.

    I wonder if my manipule's still angry with me.I scrub the top of my mouth. I bet she will yell. I shake my head. No. No more anticipations. I finish and enter the shower. 

    The hot water hits my body, and trickles down me slowly. It's weird to me how a soothing shower can melt away the biggest of problems that surround yo, waiting to be solved. It feels like when I'm in the shower, I feel free. It feels like when I'm in the shower, I don't need to be the person the government wants me to be. I can just be me. I sigh, but my pleasant time must always come to  an end, like the last page of an exuberant, page-turning book.

 I wish I was a normal teenage girl. Able to enjoy the outside world and love instead of being imprisoned in a city of strictness.

  But maybe being a Common wasn't like this. Maybe it will be exciting. I frown. Maybe I'll never experience it at all. That got me thinking again. If I don't pass my test, what will become of me? Will the government throw me in jail? I gulp. And if I don't make it, will the government blame my actions on my manipule? I suddenly don't feel comfortable in the shower. Maybe feeling free was a bad idea. I turn off the water, and exit. I look in front of the mirror, now a blur because of the steam. I wipe it away, and it reveales my face.

    My eyes are huge, full of fear. My mouth trembles, my black hair is wet, shining when it hits the light. I touch the mirror with my index finger, and close my eyes.

   A flash of memory appears in my mind. A woman. No, my mom. She's smiling, her face beaming with light and joy. She's behind a small figure. A little girl.Her hair is black and shiny, her brown eyes sparkle in the light, and wears a blue dress that reaches her knees and exposes her shoulders.The little girl is me. But unlike my mom, my lips don't curve in a smile,and my face doesn't beam with joy. My mom places both of her hands on each side of my head, and smooths down my hair. Then she places them on my little shoulders, and leans near my ear. She says something I can't hear, but can recall her saying: Be yourself and be brave. I will always be with you. Then it fades away and I'm back in the bathroom.

     I hot tear trickles down my face and stops at the end of my chin. I don't wipe it away, instead let more invade my face. Ii'm not ready to go to th other side og the city. I'm nnot ready to take the test. I'm not a mature girl. I'm a feckless girl who will always be stupid,selfish, and immature. And will always be feckless,no matter how hard or easy things might be. 

    I leave the bathroom. My clothes are set on my bed. A red tank top and a pair of blue shorts. Beside them is a note.

 I first put on my clothes before picking up the note. Inside there is formal writing. It smells like Coconut Lime. I smile a little.

       Dear Srienex,

     I have gone to a transition meeting for your test. Under no circumstances do I want you to leave the floor. I suspect that you will be on your best behavior until I return. I know you well, so I count on you to not leave.

       

        Alone . I am finally alone. I walk to the window near my bed and peer out from it. I could see tall, glass buildings reflecting the others that surround them. People on sidewalks, walking in utter silence. The sun shined warmly on everything below, making it seem like a happy town, instead of a city where many people inside suffer from anxiety of not being able to reach expectations of gruesome tyrants who conceal their identity and roles, and assure people everything is copessetic. And it truly disgusts me.

  I realize, i wasn't fit to be a Common. I didn't want to be ruled or changed. I wanted to live free and make my own choices in life. I wanted to be able to go and explore. I wanted to be free, and this was my only chance. I look at my note, then crumple it. You don't know me at all, manipule. I let it fall to my side and head out the door.



© 2014 DivergentObessed


Author's Note

DivergentObessed
I hope you like and leave reviews. This is one of my great popular stories and I want feedback if I am good. Thanks!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on March 8, 2014
Last Updated on March 8, 2014
Tags: escape, srieniex, manipules