Out Of The Storm

Out Of The Storm

A Story by Scott Christian
"

A short horror prose about a family, a storm, and a creature.

"

   The sky began to grumble and dark clouds curtained the once blue canvas. The sun hid behind the grey obstructions, occasionally peeking out for a few brief seconds. The air was damp and humid, foreshadowing the oncoming storm. Kevin looked out the window and off into the distance; lightning flashed, highlighting the shapes of the clouds. He turned away and walked out of the living room, and into the kitchen where Therese was scrubbing the plates.


   "There's a wicked storm on its way, honey," he walked around the table and placed his hands on her shoulders, "Flash flood warnings are in effect in Providence County. I've got the dogs inside, and in their crates. Where are John and Kathy?"


   Therese turned her head slightly and kissed Kevin on the chin, "They're tucked in bed for the time being. God only knows when one of them will be up and about again."


   Kevin kissed her on the lips and walked back to the living room. His feet made little sound on the plush, red carpeting. As he made his way over to the television he stubbed his toe upon the corner of the coffee table. "OW! Crap and damnit! Therese.. why do you keep moving this blasted thing?" He cradled his throbbing toe, checking for bruises.


~   ~   ~


   The air was damp and humid in the heat of the Summer night. A thin mist danced and curled through the trees; tendrils of the mist wrapped themselves snug around It's legs. It looked around the trees--through them--searching for something to eat. A quick movement in the brush beside It caused it to turn its head. In a flash, It leapt upon a small rabbit and broke its neck. An instant passed; it was devoured; naught a piece of hair nor flesh remained. A flash of lightning swept overhead, illuminating the forest around It. It stared back through the trees, still hungry. It began to shamble through the maze of thickened trunks, its head held low, bobbing with every step. It stopped for a moment to scan it's surroundings. Far off on the horizon, a faint light began to appear through the tree-line. Dry leaves cracked between Its muddy toes as it shuffled towards the distant lights.


~   ~   ~


   "I didn't move it, Kev. You know John has a habit of sleepwalking. He probably moves it himself." Therese's voice drifted in from the kitchen, getting louder as she moved toward the living room doorway, "And besides, you should be watching where you walk around here as it is! Shame when a 7 year-old has more common sense than his own father!" she smirked.


   Kevin looked up at her, "Don't you sass me!" he stuck out his tongue at her. Then, he looked back down at his toe and moaned.


   "Oh quit exaggerating, you big baby. It's only stubbed," her voice suddenly took on a more childish tone, "Or do you want me to kiss it and make it all better?" she smacked her lips together mockingly.


   Kevin grinned and looked up, leaping from his place on the floor. "That sounds like the perfect remedy!" Therese squealed as he took off after her. He chased her around the kitchen table, through the kitchen, down the main hallway, and towards their bedroom. Therese had to clasp her hand over her mouth, to keep the children from hearing her squeals. She shut the door just as Kevin reached the bedroom, locking him out.


~   ~   ~


   Thunder rumbled close overhead, and the flashes of electric cracks tore along the sky. Branches and skin peeled off Its arms and legs as it brushed through the crowd of pine. Stopping for a moment, It sniffed the air. A whiff of something burning permeated Its nose. Its blank gaze turned slowly in the direction of the smell. Its breath was low and huffy, Its lungs were worn and weak, but still functioning. It wrapped long, slender fingers around the trunks of the trees in a horrific caress as it pushed through the throngs of earthen shapes and sizes. Another flash of lightning lit up the night sky, causing birds to flee from their leafy havens. Its bent knees and misshapen feet--6 digits in all--carried it onward, ignoring the overhead quarry. Its focus remained on the light and smells, coming stronger and closer.


~   ~   ~


   "Therese! Let me in!" Kevin whispered through the door. He could hear her giggling on the other side. "Aw... come on... Let me in! It's no fun being locked out! I'm only a cuddle monster, looking for his next meal!"


   "And what will you do to me when you do finally get in, Mr. Monster?" she whispered in a low, coy voice, "Are you going to gobble me up?"


   "Among other things. You've been extremely bad, and must pay the penalty!" He started to playfully paw at the bedroom door. A small creak issued from down the hall, but Kevin was too preoccupied with harassing Therese to notice. After a few more moments of him pawing at the door, Kevin stopped and leaned against the corner of the hallway. Therese waited, and took the bait, flinging the bedroom door open, smacking it into Kevin who was waiting behind its path. She flew down the hallway, and into the living room where she found herself hurtling toward the glass in the center of the table that was now in her path.


   Cradling his nose, Kevin whimpered and held it close to stop the bleeding. That's when he heard the crash, the scream, and the shattering of glass. Forgetting about his nose, he rushed out to the living room to find Therese covered in broken glass, and John crying on the sofa.


~   ~   ~


   It raised Its head as a scream perforated the rumbling of the clouds. It turned its head in the direction of the sound--more lights. Following the scream came a piercing sound, drawing its attention further in its direction. The storm was reaching its main event. The wind began to pick up speed, sending leaves and pine needles swirling about the floor of the forest. It reached a thicket, and swept through it with ease. Ahead was a construct of cut wood and stone. Lights danced and flickered from both outside and within the settlement. A new smell wafted into Its nostrils... blood. It walked over to the front door and raised its hand to the wood.


~   ~   ~


   "Therese! Are you okay?!" Kevin leaned down to pick her up from amidst the shards of glass and fragments of wood.


   "Oh yes! I feel like going on a picnic and dancing among the raindrops! Of course I'm not okay!" she snipped back at him, seething and aching from the fall.


   Kevin carried Therese over to the couch, and left to get medicine and towels. Therese ran her fingers slowly through John's hair and whispered in his ear, "Hush... hush, honey... It's okay. Mommy is going to be fine. It was just a spill. Shh, shhh..."


   John continued to cry and buried his head in his mother's stomach, his sobs now muffled by her nightgown. Kevin reappeared with everything he needed, and began to tend to Therese's wounds.


   "Jesus, John. What were you thinking?! You should know better by now!" the anger in his voice brought John to further tears, his crying becoming louder.


   "Kevin!" Therese hissed at him, "You know he didn't mean to! Don't reprimand him!"


   "I.. I'm sorry, honey.. I don't know if I'll ever get used to these sleepwalking spells..." He started to clean her right arm when he heard a soft scratching at the front door. The thunder and lightning crackled and flashed closer than ever before. The storm was just about to hit. "Who the hell could be at the door at THIS time of night?!" Kevin muttered as he put down the antiseptic and towel. "Therese, wait here, okay? I'll see who it is and send them on their way."


   Kevin strode toward the front door as the scratching became louder. He held the doorknob tight and twisted it, pulling the front door open. "What the hell do you want?!" he stared ahead of him as the door flew open...


   With a final thunderclap, the sky tore open--drenching the Earth below.

© 2010 Scott Christian


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Well I said this before on Xanga, and I'll say it again. I love how you switch back and forth between the adorable interaction between Kevin and Therese, and that sublime, creepy, thing that is killing innocent bunnies. =]] It's a perfect blend, and it enhances the foreshadowing effect... you keep expecting something to happen, and then you leave us hanging just as we're sure something will happen... I really cannot wait to see what happens next.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I enjoyed this! I thought some parts where unrealistic like the dialogue but other than that, this was a very good, scary story. I just wish it were longer.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I have to agree with the last review. Switching back and forth like this definitely enhances the foreshadowing. It makes the reader begin to try to piece together exactly how the story will play out later on. Best of all, after all this build up, you leave the reader with a huge cliffhanger! People's imaginations can often times end the story exactly how they want it to end, and with a conclusion like this you're letting those imaginations run wild. Nice work!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Well I said this before on Xanga, and I'll say it again. I love how you switch back and forth between the adorable interaction between Kevin and Therese, and that sublime, creepy, thing that is killing innocent bunnies. =]] It's a perfect blend, and it enhances the foreshadowing effect... you keep expecting something to happen, and then you leave us hanging just as we're sure something will happen... I really cannot wait to see what happens next.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

391 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 18, 2010
Last Updated on July 23, 2010
Tags: writing, prose, horror

Author

Scott Christian
Scott Christian

PA



About
Published author currently writing stories for a horror themed podcast. more..

Writing