Above The Clouds

Above The Clouds

A Chapter by Scott Christian
"

The first of many "Dreams" I've written, discussing my past relationships with women

"
   I once had a dream where I was standing on the nose of an airplane. We were soaring above the clouds, her and I. The wind kicked back my hair, and I shut my eyes for but a brief moment to take in the feeling of pure freedom. I opened my eyes, turned to her, and gazed into her beautiful craftsmanship. She was a sturdy vehicle; a design of absolute magnificence. Incomparable to any other that was flying that day. Her windows clean and clear; her wings spread in an awe-inspiring berth.

   I was amazed at how well she carried me through the heavens. With the Earth so far below me, I had but her to hold onto. We were in a state of pure bliss--a perfect marriage of traveler and transport. Every so often, we'd dip below the clouds, just to get a glimpse of the others below. During these moments, we'd observe everyone scampering about along the ground. They looked like ants to us, and we would giggle and snigger at their comings and goings. Sometimes, we'd go lower, to rest up and mingle amongst the throngs of ants.
    We were happy together.

    When we would resume our trek above the clouds, we felt such elation that we could not hold it in. I'd raise the command, and she'd duck and weave betwixt the airy shapes in the sky. And we'd write our love along the blue landscape above us. Then we'd rise again, and I'd gaze down at our work. We'd resume our travels together, with naught a care in the world. It was just us. The ants would loathe us for our displays, our shows. They'd turn the greenest of emerald at the sight of our affections. We the traveler and transport; the inseparable couple.
    We were beloved by one another.

    Once again I stood upon her nose, open and free to the winds. I closed my eyes again, and an eerie stillness began to overcome me. I quickly opened my eyes, only to see a troubling sea of grey, grim clouds on the horizon. I turned to her, and her wings began to fold. In fear, I looked more and saw her window shades down, and her once beautiful exteriour to be rusting. I gazed through one open window, and saw the beautiful seats had torn and frayed. Many were missing; lost to the ground below.
    I turned back, and the clouds had drawn nearer. I braced myself for what was to come, and we entered that dense realm of no return. It was calm, still, at first. She held aloft while I shivered in fear and out of anxiety. A thunderclap broke forth in the distance, and my body shook. Below me, she began to falter, and her vessel started to dip lower, and lower. A bolt of lightning flashed to our right, and I turned to her once more.
    "I will not give you up!" I cried to her as another bolt flashed to our left. The bolts drew closer to us, and at last struck her mighty hull. She jolted upright, and faced her nose downward... Downward towards the Earth and ants. She attempted to turn her nose upright, but another bolt struck her square on the engine of her right wing. It was done. I clung to her for dear life, "I will be with you through to the end!" I shouted to her. The winds picked up; raged about us as we hurtled toward the ground below. My clothes rattled against my body as the tempest tore into us, breaking us to pieces. I shut my eyes, and listened as the howl of the wind became the scream of twisting metal, and breaking ground.
    We were doomed together.

    When I opened my eyes again, we were on the ground. I looked mournfully at her broken body. The beautiful craftsmanship utterly shredded--destroyed. I fell to my knees and wept a river. Through it flowed my hopes and dreams; our plans and futures. I ran to her side, and placed my hand upon her door. It was shattered as well, and off the hinges. Suddenly, a shriek of metal pierced my ears, and I backed away from the door. It opened slowly, and out stepped a blank shade. It was a being of purity; of blackness. It had no features, nor emotion. Then, as quickly as it had appeared, it crumbled to dust and vanished before my eyes.
    I looked down, and I had become one of the ants.

    And I awoke.


© 2010 Scott Christian


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow. Just wow.
This is utterly breathtaking.
Everything about it.
(Don't you hate unconstructive reviews like this?)
But really, this piece is fantastic. There are one or two spelling errors and some misplaced commas, but that's it.
Oh, and the other four people who viewed this (and didn't review) are dumb for not seeing what a gorgeous piece this is.
A favorite, for sure.
Wow.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 25, 2010
Last Updated on July 31, 2010
Tags: writing, prose, romance, lost love, love, women, relationships


Author

Scott Christian
Scott Christian

PA



About
Published author currently writing stories for a horror themed podcast. more..

Writing