Immortal Love

Immortal Love

A Story by Ink Pot Faerie
"

A love story told by the young kitchen boy who fell in love with the mysterious maid servant, Eylon. (E-lawn)

"

 Her hair was a ghostly white, and her skin was as pale as the flesh of a freshly cut apple. Her lips were docile and dainty, and always held a strange calmness. Her eyes were a beautiful silver that swam with pale purple and the lightest of all greens. Her legs were long and graceful, but strong as well. She seemed to emanate beauty and wisdom. Her name was Eylon. She was a maid servant to the Queen and her daughters.

I couldn’t help but be deeply in love with her. I was a kitchen boy at that time who also worked for the royal family. Everyday I saw her when she came to eat her meals with the rest of the servants, but she never socialized or ate. I wanted so badly to be with her, to hear her crystalline voice, but no matter what efforts I went to, she took no notice of me.

            One day, I saw her slip away from the kitchen at suppertime. I thought nothing of it at first, thinking she was only venturing out to the latrines or out to get a breath of fresh air, for the kitchens were often stuffy and crowded, with the throng of servants waiting for their helping of soup. But I soon came to notice this became a nightly routine. She would leave, but would not return until the next morning.

            I was deeply afraid that she had found a lover, and that she was going to him every night.  The thought made my heart break. I didn’t think of how bad it must seem for me to think of her as mine. She was free to choose to love whomever she wanted. But at that time I was a foolish, love-struck youth, and to put my mind at ease, I decided to follow her.

            I worked diligently the whole day, washing pans and pots, bringing in the carrots and turnips for the King and Queen’s supper, but my mind was far away, following Eylon.

            “Christopher, lad, what are yeh doin’? Yer ‘sposed to be peelin’ them potatoes, not carvin’ them to nothin’.” The head chef told me playfully. It was true. I had been thinking so intently that I had carved away half of the potato.

            “I’m sorry sir. I-I was thinking about Eylon.” I replied truthfully. (Really, it would have been no use lying. Everyone knew how I felt.)

            “Doncha worry yer little head over her. She be a strange one her. Best if left alone.” He smiled and pat my back. But I couldn’t leave alone. I was intent on telling her my feelings.

            That night she showed up and took her bowl of soup. I sat fairly close to her, but as usual she took no notice. After a few long, tentative moments she gathered up her long white dress, and took her leave. I forced myself to count to three, and then followed.

            The moonlight made her skin glow a beautiful creamy white. She was quick, but years in the busy kitchen had made me fleet of foot as well. Eylon went towards the courtyard, and stopped at the ivy covered wall.  She moved the thick layer of ivy, uncovering a gaping hole where a number of the wall’s stones had been removed. She slipped through quickly, not leaving a trace. I followed, crawling clumsily through the hole.

            I saw Eylon running towards the woods. I followed suit, curiosity fueling my body to continue the quick pace. She continued to run through the thick trees, completely at ease. I, however, was not used to such thick vegetation, and was continually tripped up by the roots of trees, and thwacked in the face with their low hanging branches. We continued to run through the forest, until it seemed we were indefinitely lost.

            Eylon finally stopped at a large apple tree. But the tree was so much more beautiful than any ordinary apple tree. The gnarled trunk and branches seemed to be made of pewter, and the leaves looked to be made of solid moonlight. Eylon stepped forward, and grazed the tree’s trunk with her slender fingers. Suddenly her skin glimmered uncontrollably, and shattered, like one had dropped a mirror. In a flurry of white shards, a unicorn stood where only seconds before Eylon had been.

            It was a sight that I shall remember for the rest of my life. The unicorn had long slender legs, with dainty cloven hooves. Her tail was that of a lion, but the tuft of hair at the end was a beautiful silver, like that of the leaves. Her pure white body shone like an opal, and her mane was long and silkily draped over her body. But what was most amazing was her horn. It was at least one foot long, and shone with a beautiful light all its own. It seemed to change color, first bright white, then pastel purple, then a baby blue. It was something not one person could bear without crying for how beautiful the sight was.

            And I did indeed cry out. The unicorn turned to me, and her eyes showed pure horror. It was then I realized this unicorn was indeed Eylon. She turned to run, but I couldn’t bear for her to leave me.

            “Wait! Please, please do not leave me. I shan’t hurt you. I couldn’t hurt you, not without killing myself first.” I pleaded, holding out my hands.

            Eylon relaxed, and looked to me. She was still wary, afraid of a trap.

            “Please, Eylon, you must trust me. I could never harm you. I’ve loved you since you came to the castle. Please, please do not leave me or I fear I shall never feel happiness again.”

            “You are the kitchen boy.” She said quietly. It was not as if she spoke, but like she had sang, her voice was so clear and melodious.

            “Yes, yes. My name is Christopher. And I have loved-”

            “I heard you before.” She replied, walking over to me. She was still a unicorn, but very faintly, I could see Eylon’s body, walking in step with the unicorn, and speaking with her.

            “Do you not love me? Have I given you my heart in vain?” I wept. She looked to me, her eyes filled with sadness.

            “Christopher, unicorns are immortal. Even if we could be together, it would not be forever.”  Eylon suddenly reared, and I thought she was going to kill me.

            “Unless! If you are pure, you can touch the tree. Then you will become immortal, like me, and we could be together.”  My heart swelled at this single hope. I slowly walked towards the tree, and reached my hand out. I was almost convinced that I wouldn’t be able to touch it, and that I would remain lonely for the rest of my days. But my fingers grazed the tree’s trunk. My fingers began to tingle, and my whole body felt as though it was submerged in warm water. I felt my body change, and soon I found myself looking down at cloven hooves instead of my dirty, bare feet.

            I looked at my body, and saw that my body was a deep black, and I had large graceful wings. I was a Pegasus.

            Eylon gave a small gasp, but then pressed her body next to mind. I nuzzled her muzzle, and gave a soft neigh.

            “Now, we shall be together forever, our hearts entwined.” Eylon murmered, rubbing her face against my chest.

            “Forever my love. Forever.”

 

© 2008 Ink Pot Faerie


Author's Note

Ink Pot Faerie
tell me if It's too I don't know......sappy maybe? Or rushed at the end.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

yes I agree wit Moonlight, the end was a little rushed...maybe have drawn out to a little bit more like it would e a nightly occurance that they both would go to the tree and then you know have their love blossom instead of just having it out there in thing....but that it just my opinion and I hope that you don't take it as being harsh, for I too write fantasy stuff like this...if you get the chance please read. Sudden Love and Secret no longer

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

yes I agree wit Moonlight, the end was a little rushed...maybe have drawn out to a little bit more like it would e a nightly occurance that they both would go to the tree and then you know have their love blossom instead of just having it out there in thing....but that it just my opinion and I hope that you don't take it as being harsh, for I too write fantasy stuff like this...if you get the chance please read. Sudden Love and Secret no longer

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really like yoiur work! It reminds me of a fairy tale, altough it is a little different in it's manner. I think you should change the ending a bit, make it a bit longer. It seems to end in a rush, all at once and seems as if though you had no time to finish it in detail.

Otherwise, great work!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

113 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 9, 2008

Author

Ink Pot Faerie
Ink Pot Faerie

About
I love to write romance, and I love contests. more..