Runes of Love

Runes of Love

A Poem by Mark
"

Perhaps the biggest impetus to understanding is the utter failure of communication. Confusion is a vault door opaque and impenetrable to one person, invisible to the one who holds its keys.

"
I got lost in the math of your heart.
I wandered, days untold
past white boards filled 
in red figures and arcane runes.

I tried in vain to decipher
the path to your love.
Thirsty and hungry I weakened
while passion and pain eluded me.

I got lost in the math of your heart.
I can not find my way.
The shadows of these equations
need your illumination.

© 2012 Mark


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

'Math of your Heart' - Such a clever term. Puts into words all the cunning and conniving of people who use love to get their way with other people. Glad he gave up though... :) We can never get through with such mathematicians!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Why do we do this to the ones we claim to love? We complicate the rules, the runes, as if we were writing a very involved math equation. But love IS NOT math is it? I live this poem! You expressed beautifully the hoe path of love can end in confusion when rules, conditions are placed but not explained or illuminated. Your final stanza says it well.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Beautiful and touching...It has this lost and empty feel to it that makes it really nice.

Posted 11 Years Ago


great metaphors well written

Posted 11 Years Ago


Calculus on the chalk boards of hearts. Sweet idea, speaks volumes. Really the perfect analogy, on many levels, for the meanderings and puzzle solving that goes on within us in a romantic relationship. Dug this.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mark

11 Years Ago

thank you sir :)
excellent symbolism...for me, it's an algebraic problem and there are formulas to apply to find the answer, but i'm not good at math, so i'd probably get lost in the math of someone's heart. i agree that communication is the key. thank you for sharing this analogy.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ooooooh I love this. Love the repetition of 'I got lost in the math of your heart'

Wonderful use of imagery an metaphors!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mark

11 Years Ago

Thanks Avy :)
awesome, my new favorite of yours by far :) especially since I just finished reading The Night Circus where the main color scheme is white, black and red. I don't think I honestly have any suggestions.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mark

11 Years Ago

Thanks E ! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
I really like the way the first stanza is so vivid and is a wonderful way to explain what we often go through when trying to understand each other. Communication can be difficult when we don't speak the same language emotionally - even vague nuances of words can cause trouble if we don't clarify what we mean by what we say. I've seen it happen when people are arguing over something that they actually agree on, but the words chosen or way of saying caused issues. The last stanza leaves it open, like the answer is yet to be given. I think you said it well, communication is the key...if the heart is open, and we are interested enough in where the other person is coming from, we can at least understand even if the relationship may not evolve into what we wanted. Trouble is, so many people want to run away from communication - it takes time and work. Great read.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Mark

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much Claire :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

594 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on October 20, 2012
Last Updated on October 20, 2012

Author

Mark
Mark

Dallas, TX



About
I"m a gypsy born in New Hampshire, raised in Alaska, schooled in Washington, raised a family in California. Recently settled in Houston area. Where to next? I don't really have to think about it, it j.. more..

Writing
Enemy Time Enemy Time

A Poem by Mark


Morning Coffee Morning Coffee

A Poem by Mark


For Valentine For Valentine

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Where you went Where you went

A Poem by Mark


Witch's Brew Witch's Brew

A Poem by Muse