To Dance

To Dance

A Poem by Mark
"

You gotta keep going, no matter what happens to you. To do otherwise is a kind of death.

"
I danced on a cloud
while I sang to the sun
I was full, and whole, and loud
finding, winning the one.

I danced on the ground 
while I sang to the sky
When I lost what I'd found
she left. I wondered why.

The chance that I took
left hanging on a hook,
like a used winter coat
or the words that I've wrote.

I'll dance in the morning
and I'll sing all alone.
I'll laugh 'til it's hurting
and the tears make me moan.

I'll dance in the evening
until my legs give out.
I'll sing while I'm grieving
my heart lost in doubt.

© 2013 Mark


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

My mother and step father danced until their seventies three times a week...until their bodies wouldn't let them anymore....
My mother is eighty seven now and she still talks about dancing....enjoyed the read...Rose:)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mark

10 Years Ago

Thank you Rose. :)
This feels very painful Mark. It is a flowing and engaging expression of soldiering on when you least want to.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mark

10 Years Ago

Ya, common theme in my writing... heh
A wonderful message in this poem! You've gotta keep going through the fog. Dance, sing, act the fool, just LIVE and keep going. We're only here once, no sense in acting like a wallowing country song - just fake it 'til you make it through. Well, easier said than done, I know... but eventually we all do come around and get up to dance :)
Enjoyed the poem very much!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mark

10 Years Ago

Thank you! Did you like the song with it?
Emerald Seas

10 Years Ago

I will have to play it from the computer later :) the link doesn't work properly when I'm using the .. read more
This is beautiful! I love how the feeling in it. It really stirs up a feeling of freedom and an almost hopeful sort of sadness. Like even though I'm hurt I won't stop dancing because I won't let my joy be taken away. Excellent :)
-Riley

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mark

10 Years Ago

Glad you liked! :)
Mark, you are so right about this. Keep dancing, keep living! It is such a temptation to crawl under the covers with hands over your ears...so you can't hear the music. PS: I noticed a small correction.. Third stanza last line. Should it say, 'or the words that I wrote..?' I hope you don't mind. Angi~




Posted 10 Years Ago


Mark

10 Years Ago

THanks Angi! I meant to write I've, to refer directly to the piece here.
You had me with the title right off, who doesn't love to dance? Your poem really speaks to the same freedom one feels in dancing that applies to life, throw yourself out there and risk looking the fool, go for broke...good one Mark!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mark

10 Years Ago

If I get to NJ I'll teach ya how to 2-step. Or you can teach me, I don't know it that well :P
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

That's one I don't know that well either, but who cares, we wing it!
Mark

10 Years Ago

I have a good time doing it. The song I posted with this poem is one I learned to 2 step to, the oth.. read more
well, this is wonderful. i have to state that i was reminded of a couple of Garth Brooks songs by your words, but they are such familiar words, are they not? you have penned, quite well, some very resonant human emotions herein. well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mark

10 Years Ago

Thanks buddie
Aww.... I love to dance! Music is my second favorite thing next to books. I'm always listening to something....singing and dancing. Lol..

Life is a dance... sometimes we are doing that boogie all by ourselves. Other times its in the arms of some one special! You never stop dancing though.. ever.. ;-)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Mark

10 Years Ago

well, the dance does come to an end, so make sure and enjoy it while it lasts. :)
A beautiful poem. Dancing is the good part of life. Moving and having fun without concern for the world outside. I like the repetition giving strength and reason for the excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1371 Views
43 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on April 17, 2012
Last Updated on June 14, 2013

Author

Mark
Mark

Dallas, TX



About
I"m a gypsy born in New Hampshire, raised in Alaska, schooled in Washington, raised a family in California. Recently settled in Houston area. Where to next? I don't really have to think about it, it j.. more..

Writing
Enemy Time Enemy Time

A Poem by Mark


Morning Coffee Morning Coffee

A Poem by Mark


For Valentine For Valentine

A Poem by Mark



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..